Requesting Firmware Dumps from Coby Generation 3 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2012
It may be easier to just use adb and reverse the changes that you made to the build.prop . I don't know a lot, but that seems like the logical place to start.

voyeurtp

Sep 7, 2010
driftinganomaly
Thanks for your replay. I would do what you suggest if I had ADB access. This tablet (kyros 7035) does not keep the DEBUG setting ON so I´m afraid I need to re-flash it.

Folken

Jul 18, 2012
Folken:
After I got my 7035-4 rooted I wanted to change the LCD-density from 120 to 140. I modified the build.prop file and and rebooted. The tablet does not unlock anymore and show SYSTEM UI HAS STOPPED message.
I could not find a forum from where I could download the factory ROM.
Reading the previous page I found Vampirefo comments that one could restore using the Dump files so I used your Damp files for this tablet and tried to restore. I get a message that it can´t verify the files.

I will appreciate your help

I created an restore .zip files with the dump files

Modify Vampirefo's scripts to look like this and try again. Remove the <start> and </end> tags and the white space before and after.

install-boot.sh:

<start>

#!/system/bin/sh

if busybox test ! -f /sdcard/boot.img; then
echo no /sdcard/boot.img
exit 1
fi

cat /sdcard/boot.img > /dev/block/mtdblock2
sync; sync; sync

echo done

</end>

install-bootloader.sh:

</start>

#!/system/bin/sh

if busybox test ! -f /sdcard/bootloader.img; then
echo no /sdcard/bootloader.img
exit 1
fi

cat /sdcard/bootloader.img > /dev/block/mtdblock1
sync; sync; sync

echo done

</end>

Also make sure that system.tgz, boot.img, and bootloader.img are in the /sdcard directory.

Lannig

Mar 26, 2012
Folken:
After I got my 7035-4 rooted I wanted to change the LCD-density from 120 to 140. I modified the build.prop file and and rebooted. The tablet does not unlock anymore and show SYSTEM UI HAS STOPPED message.
I could not find a forum from where I could download the factory ROM.
Reading the previous page I found Vampirefo comments that one could restore using the Dump files so I used your Damp files for this tablet and tried to restore. I get a message that it can´t verify the files.

I will appreciate your help

I created an restore .zip files with the dump files

Same kind of thing has happened to me on a different tablet. You don't need to reflash. If you have rooted your tablet you should normally be able to get a root shell prompt from "adb shell", aren't you? (I presume you have the proper ADB drivers and adb exe+dll installed on your computer already)
If so you can just:
- adb pull /system/build.prop
- edit build.prop with a text editor that will preserve the Unix line format (like Notepad2 or Notepad++, the standard Notepad can't do this) and find the line that says:
ro.sf.lcd_density=140
- edit this back to 120, save the file, make sure that it is saved as a Unix text file
- adb push build.prop /system
- adb reboot

This assumes that /system is mounted r/w on your tablet. If it isn't there is an extra step
You may want to look for the zillions of "how to edit build.prop" tutorials in Google.

voyeurtp

Sep 7, 2010
Lanning,
Thanks for you comments. The Kyros 7035 reverts the Developers option DEBUG on to off after every reboot so I have no access to the device or ADB

voyeurtp

Sep 7, 2010
Folken:
Thanks for you info. I´ll modify the boot.sh and bootloader.sh and try again. Vampirefo post indicates one must have CWM. I have the standard 7035 Recovery Menu not CWM. I found recovery_CWM_for_Flytouch_6.zip file at another forum. Any comments on this.

Lannig

Mar 26, 2012
Lanning,
Thanks for you comments. The Kyros 7035 reverts the Developers option DEBUG on to off after every reboot so I have no access to the device or ADB

That sucks :(
Really a poor decision from Coby here. Who do they think they are? Apple? :rolleyes:

Sorry for the waste of time reading my post.

kirrinjones

May 2, 2012
Here is a link to the dump of a MID7035-4 rooted and gapps installed. If someone wants to clean it up and make it pretty for livesuite or create a custom rom go for it. Hopefully it can serve some help for anyone who might have bricked their tab.

MID7035-4-dump.zip

Hi Folken, can you or anyone here please tell me the procedure (step-by-step if possible) on how to get this reinstalled on a bricked MID7035. I have my device stuck at the ANDROID logo and it never moves, I'm able to get to recovery and do the WIPE but it does not do a factory reset so it keeps coming back to the ANDROID logo screen. I have tried copying the files in the zip dumb onto a sdcard but when I do the recovery from external and then select the MID7035-4-boot-bl-rec.zip, it bombs out with the error "E:signature verification failed installation aborted". I would really like to get this device back up. Thanks for the assist.

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Folken, can you or anyone here please tell me the procedure (step-by-step if possible) on how to get this reinstalled on a bricked MID7035. I have my device stuck at the ANDROID logo and it never moves, I'm able to get to recovery and do the WIPE but it does not do a factory reset so it keeps coming back to the ANDROID logo screen. I have tried copying the files in the zip dumb onto a sdcard but when I do the recovery from external and then select the MID7035-4-boot-bl-rec.zip, it bombs out with the error "E:signature verification failed installation aborted". I would really like to get this device back up. Thanks for the assist.

This thread might help point you in the right direction.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42750

AndrewLCR

Aug 25, 2012
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I have a tablet Coby Kyros 1042-8 and I have a little problem with it, when I try to turn it on it stays on android logo and not start system.
Can anyone help? I have searched endlessly on Google but I can not find a solution.
Thank you all!

Edit:
I try to flash any firmware with livesuit but windows does not recognize the device, I have already tried several drivers ...

Last edited:

skristies

May 14, 2012
Hello people! I´m a 9742 Version owner (first series)

I had the Deodexed Rom version, but I was unhappy with some modificatoins with videos and gallery, so I put this rooted rom instead.

I´m with the same error mensioned before with the camera.

I´ve installed the rooted rom and put with the AC the Gapps (also, removed the ESFileManager and EsMemoryManager and installed the new versions, for rootexplore).

But when I was test the camera, it just get the rear camera. Only the front camera gives me the camera error.

I tried the gt2005-2015.ko in /system/vendor/modules and replacing the gt2005.ko, but with no sucess there either. Both restarts the tablet.

Any thoughs?

Regards!

SKristies

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
No need to ask the same question in multiple posts. I provided an answer for you in the other thread you replied to, here.

kirrinjones

May 2, 2012
I'm terrible sorry for being daft on this issue, but I would really appreciate if someone could help me get my 7035 back in working order by providing me with the proper files and procedures. Within this thread I have found the 7035 dump files, and I have seen links to forum threads that should help, I have even seen modifications to system files to fix potential issues, none of these seem to be helping me.

I am unable to use my laptop as I cannot get the device in USB debug mode because it is stuck at the ANDROID screen and will not boot into the OS. I have tried as best as I can for the last 10 days, trying all the pieces of instructions and files that I have found on the this forum. but with no progress. Maybe I am missing something, and would appreciate a post that has all the procedures/tweaks/software outlined and accessible, so that I can get it done.

Thank you again, and apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.