[ROM][5.1.1] AOSP-5.1.1 / CM-12.1 for Lenovo a2109 (20160901)

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
That's way more work than you know. He has to provide a whole new kernel, not just a few patches on top of ours.
I have some hopes that I'm wrong about that:) But first let's finish lollipop.

Damn I just confirmed the Skype bug...

Last edited:

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
I install the last build, working well but I have some problem connecting to Facebook or Google Play game ... It is very long to connect or can not connect at all.

Also, it happens sometime that apps are freezing. I have to reboot the tablet to be working again.

I had tested bluetooth, camera, audio playback, video playback and it is all working.

rsvtoddy

May 21, 2013
I install the last build, working well but I have some problem connecting to Facebook or Google Play game ... It is very long to connect or can not connect at all.

Also, it happens sometime that apps are freezing. I have to reboot the tablet to be working again.

I had tested bluetooth, camera, audio playback, video playback and it is all working.
@joebine - issue with Facebook may well not be ROM based, as on my Nook HD+ (running lollipop) Facebook updates caused lots of problems. I just tried to load Facebook onto the A2109A and it also refused to install.

@PJBrs - donation sent, well done on getting lollipop working so well on this tab, that I had almost given up with, and not turned on for about 12 months! I look forward to your marshmallow ROM...

Procedure used coming from TCL ROM -

Installed flashify from play store and flashed newer CWM recovery image
Downloaded 20160318 ROM and Opengapps pico
Factory reset from CWM
Flashed ROM and Gapps
Wiped cache and dalvic
Rebooted

Simple!

Will report back if I find any issues.

Sent from my A2109A using Tapatalk

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014

Great, thanks for testing!

I noticed myself that trebuchet and system-ui repeatedly froze after about 24 hours. I fixed this by deleting trebuchet application data and cache. You might also try to erase the entire cache and see what happens. But perhaps, it would have been better to just try a completely clean install. Then again, I hate reinstalling all those apps, so for now I've chosen to just face the consequences :)

@PJBrs - donation sent, well done on getting lollipop working so well on this tab, that I had almost given up with, and not turned on for about 12 months! I look forward to your marshmallow ROM...

Procedure used coming from TCL ROM -

Installed flashify from play store and flashed newer CWM recovery image
Downloaded 20160318 ROM and Opengapps pico
Factory reset from CWM
Flashed ROM and Gapps
Wiped cache and dalvic
Rebooted

Simple!

Will report back if I find any issues.

Sent from my A2109A using Tapatalk

Thanks very much for the donation, much appreciated! And thanks for testing. Note that, before taking on Marshmallow, I'll first try to fix Skype video recording. I hope that switching back to the old proprietary blobs might work, or perhaps mixing in some blobs from asus transformer tf300. Furthermore, the power HAL that I adapted from grouper (Nexus 7 2012) doesn't actually work (doesn't effectively set a minimum CPU frequency when display is active). Also, I'm still not sure whether Marshmallow will work at all with kernel 3.1. If we need 3.4, well...

Last edited:

fusm

Jun 5, 2014
Here is my old p1000, with Marshmallow running on 3.0.1 kernel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160329-192243.png
    Screenshot_20160329-192243.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 278

Hogi61

Jan 6, 2016
Medion Lifetab S9714

I flashed this rom on the tablet S9714 using twrp. I installed twrp with flashify from playstore.
Tested:
bluetooth, gps, wifi, external sd-card, auto-rotation, video player, camera, sound, everything is working.

Not working:
deep sleep,
brightness control (sreen gets black, i had to flash back my nandroid backup)
I am using now Velis autobrightness without further problems.
Not tested:
hdmi, usb-otg, mic, wifi-direct
My launcher: Nova
I will do further tests.
Great rom, i never thought that my old S9714 will get lollipop.

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Medion Lifetab S9714

I flashed this rom on the tablet S9714 using twrp. I installed twrp with flashify from playstore.
Tested:
bluetooth, gps, wifi, external sd-card, auto-rotation, video player, camera, sound, everything is working.

Not working:
deep sleep,

Hmm, you're the first to report deep sleep issues. Did you do a factory reset prior to install? If not, I suggest to first boot to recovery and wipe cache and dakvik cache, to see of that fixes it.

brightness control (sreen gets black, i had to flash back my nandroid backup)
I am using now Velis autobrightness without further problems.

First can you verify that you're on the March 18 version? Because that one fixes auto brightness on a2109. If so, then I need some help to fix this. For this you need to enable root access and install adb. Let us know if you need some help with this. Connect your tablet to your computer and open a root shell:

Code:
adb shell
su

Next, try some experiments with the following file, like so:
Code:
echo 40 > /sys/devices/platform/pwm-backlight/backlight/pwm-backlight/brightness

The brightness file takes values in the range 0-255. Please find the lowest value that doesn't fully turn off the screen. On a2109, this is 3, and that's also the lowest value used in the latest lollipop build.

Not tested:
hdmi, usb-otg, mic, wifi-direct
My launcher: Nova
I will do further tests.
Great rom, i never thought that my old S9714 will get lollipop.

Thanks for testing!

Last edited:

Hogi61

Jan 6, 2016
Yes, I confirm that I am on 18 March version. 1 hour ago I did factory reset, wiped cache and dalvik cache. Only app installed is "cpu spy" to control deep sleep. But no success. Tomorrow i will do a complete new installation of the rom.

Please find the lowest value that doesn't fully turn off the screen. On a2109, this is 3, and that's also the lowest value used in the latest lollipop build.

I have just tested this. The lowest value is 10. With value 9 the screen turns off.
Thanks for the support!

Hogi61

Jan 6, 2016
Yes, I confirm that I am on 18 March version. 1 hour ago I did factory reset, wiped cache and dalvik cache. Only app installed is "cpu spy" to control deep sleep. But no success. Tomorrow i will do a complete new installation of the rom.

Today I did a complete fresh installation of the rom. Now deep sleep is working. Thank you.

kin-kwok

Feb 14, 2016
So, the Medion Lifetab S9714 is same as Lenove a2109? Will the internal be same too? Maybe this is another source for replacement circuit broad and battery.

KK

Hogi61

Jan 6, 2016
The S9714 is not same same as the A2109 but the hardware is very simular. The main differerences are:
screen: 25,4 cm
Internal sd card: 32 GB
sim card slot
Since nearly 2 years i'm using A2109 roms on my S9714.

Kyle.a2109

Mar 12, 2016
Hi, do you still have this issue with the battery?
Hi, sorry for late answer...
No, it never happened again. I can say battery charge lasts much longer than CM11. Moreover, I left charger plugged-in over night and it was fully charged in the morning with no problem.

Sometimes the tablet freezes for about a minute specially when I'm using a proxy server and network speed gets low, any suggestion??

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
The lowest value is 10. With value 9 the screen turns off.
Thanks for the support!

Thanks very much for testing! One solution is to just use a higher value in the device tree, but I was just so happy that we had the lower brightness enabled on A2109. So instead I have an idea that we might be able solve it in the kernel. Please try this boot.img, as follows:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot -i 0x17ef boot boot.img

Check your dmesg for a line saying "Detected DVT board.", as follows, right after boot:

Code:
adb shell 'su -c "dmesg"'

If this line is present, then my new hack that might change your brightness issue should be there as well...

Today I did a complete fresh installation of the rom. Now deep sleep is working. Thank you.

Thanks for testing!

So, the Medion Lifetab S9714 is same as Lenove a2109? Will the internal be same too? Maybe this is another source for replacement circuit broad and battery.

I've searched for this, but I never found one. I do remember seeing a picture of one, and they seem very similar, apart from the addition of a sim-card slot.

Hi, sorry for late answer...
No, it never happened again. I can say battery charge lasts much longer than CM11. Moreover, I left charger plugged-in over night and it was fully charged in the morning with no problem.

Good to hear!

Sometimes the tablet freezes for about a minute specially when I'm using a proxy server and network speed gets low, any suggestion??

Sorry, no. Did you do a clean install? First try to erase cache and dalvik cache. If that doesn't work, perhaps a clean install?

Last edited:

Kyle.a2109

Mar 12, 2016
Did you do a clean install? First try to erase cache and dalvik cache. If that doesn't work, perhaps a clean install?

Actually I'm eager to do the most thorough clean install that is possible. Based on my knowledge, I erased Dalvik Cashe and Cashe Partition then wiped System and then installed zip. Is it clean enough?! or should I do something deeper?:rolleyes:

Another thing to mention is that on the first page it is written:

But my CWM version is 6.0.5.1 and the download like either.
It should be a typo, isn't it ?

Last edited: