Rom development, need your help.

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
you are showing that you are mounted on system and data twice, is this jb cw recovery? I have never seen this, basically this is bind.

Yeah this is jb cw recovery. I don't know why the code is like this. Maybe i should just install your ROM to my tablet :(

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Yes, cause there is something wrong with your setup, your tablet should not be mounted in recovery, yet it is.

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
Yes, cause there is something wrong with your setup, your tablet should not be mounted in recovery, yet it is.

Okay i think its because i messed up the mounting on the cw recovery which i mount the /system and /data by accident. But other than that, is there still something wrong?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The only thing i saw was you had two mounts for system and data, i saw nothing else wrong.
best to do logat during boot it will help pi point the problem.

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
Hmm how come when i type in ls /data/, i don't have the same file as you have?

Alright let me make sure that im doing everything right:

I have my SD card on my tablet which I already made three partitions by following your post for dual boot. Then i install your zip file (combo.zip) on CWM. After that, is my tablet supposed to boot into your ROM, or the ROM that i originally have???

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
The only thing i saw was you had two mounts for system and data, i saw nothing else wrong.
best to do logat during boot it will help pi point the problem.

I did the logcat code, but the text file is extremely messy... do you want me to post it?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hmm how come when i type in ls /data/, i don't have the same file as you have?

Alright let me make sure that im doing everything right:

I have my SD card on my tablet which I already made three partitions by following your post for dual boot. Then i install your zip file (combo.zip) on CWM. After that, is my tablet supposed to boot into your ROM, or the ROM that i originally have???

The combo.zip has no kernel, so just installing it wont do anything, if you click reboot now in cw recovery you should boot to your old system, to get the sdcard version to boot you need to flash sdcard kernel, either via fastboot or via reboot-jb from your old install.

reboot-ics and reboot-jb are just scripts that flash kernels, nothing more they allow you to switch kernel from command line, by switching kernels, you switch OS,

The way dual boot work you have two complete OS installed, one on tablet one on sdcard, to switch between the two use the reboot scripts, they flash the kernel listed in the script if you have no kernel on your sdcard in the right place the kernel can't be flashed.

the scripts are text so you can open them and see what they are doing, and what they look for, make sure the kernel name and location matches the script.

Last edited:

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
The combo.zip has no kernel, so just installing it wont do anything, if you click reboot now in cw recovery you should boot to your old system, to get the sdcard version to boot you need to flash sdcard kernel, either via fastboot or via reboot-jb from your old install.

reboot-ics and reboot-jb are just scripts that flash kernels, nothing more they allow you to switch kernel from command line, by switching kernels, you switch OS,

The way dual boot work you have two complete OS installed, one on tablet one on sdcard, to switch between the two use the reboot scripts, they flash the kernel listed in the script if you have no kernel on your sdcard in the right place the kernel can't be flashed.

the scripts are text so you can open them and see what they are doing, and what they look for, make sure the kernel name and location matches the script.

Ohhh i see, now its more clear for me :) Ok im gonna continue messing with it :D

I actually managed to changed the code from your reboot-jb file a little bit before, but i don't think it is the reason why my tablet is not booting into the SD card ROM.

Hmm i really think its the /data folder making the trouble. Because my /data folder is empty for some reason.

Ok i have a question again: How long does it take to boot into the SD card ROM? I am stuck on the Lenovo logo again...

Update again...: I tried reboot-ics on the adb shell, and it works which rebooting back to my old ROM. But I just cant use the reboot-jb 'cause it stuck on the Lenovo logo everytime. Sigh... what did i do wrong...

Last edited:

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
the reboot-jb script must be changed to point to new kernel , also you have to flash ics bootloader if using oc using kernel.

rename jb_sd_gboot.img to jb_boot.img

and your stock kernel, for you tablet rename to ics_boot.img, place them on sdcard in dual_boot

Sorry i totally ignored your reply here.
But what do you mean for flash ics bootloader if i want to use the oc kernel?? I dont know how to flash ics bootloader :)

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
HOLY XXXX it booted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But im using the stock JB kernel though...

Now everything is making sense :D It is totally my fault to be ignorance, which i totally skipped your comment before. But can you still explain about the "flash ics bootloader" part for me please?? :D :D :D :D :D

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
HOLY XXXX it booted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But im using the stock JB kernel though...

Now everything is making sense :D It is totally my fault to be ignorance, which i totally skipped your comment before. But can you still explain about the "flash ics bootloader" part for me please?? :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...l/52307-useful-files-drivers-modded-roms.html

The ICS bootloader (CWM flashable) for people trying to downgrade

The OC kernel is built from ics source so it needs ics bootloader

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Changed mount points and flashed with standard lenovo jb kernel, it booted, found another issue landscape only, for me anyways, now I believe the camera apk is missing in nexus 7 Roms, so there's an camera app, but no camera found pops up, got a gut feeling libs are causing it. Nice job, the only thing is it is the exact same ROM that we are already using, but it is a start:thumbup:

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
Changed mount points and flashed with standard lenovo jb kernel, it booted, found another issue landscape only, for me anyways, now I believe the camera apk is missing in nexus 7 Roms, so there's an camera app, but no camera found pops up, got a gut feeling libs are causing it. Nice job, the only thing is it is the exact same ROM that we are already using, but it is a start:thumbup:

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

Yeah I have landscape only too.

I am probably not gonna find out the problem with camera and sound, but this is a good chance for me to learn :D