[ROM][Feb. 15 2011] >> phiremod nook BETA 2 << Themed Froyo 2.2.1

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Ok everything looks good. I'm now overclocked use the 1000mhz kernel anybody tried the 1100mhz kernel? Also I'm getting forced closes on android tablet forum app. Anybody else?

I use tapatalk, it works fine for me. I can try android tablet app when I get home.

Reyfam

Feb 9, 2011
I'm a button savior person myself. No configuration needed, well not much. Install it, it works for home, menu, back, that's it and all it want. I do have one setting: auto hide 3 seconds.

Well Nookie Froyo has had a bunch of issues (inside and outside the rom) by many and perhaps its better now with version 0.6.8 but I'm passing on it and trying other roms such as the one I'm running now.

Thanks Rico!

Us noobs really appreciate all of the guidance and advice provided by the Super Moderators, Sr. Members as experienced forum members :)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yep android tablet app force closed for me too. Something after login. Tapatalk works though.

For the black on black menu items in apps...you can press and hold to highlight items to see them then slide your finger elsewhere on screen before releasing

sent from my rooted nook color

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Fixin to jump in the pool with all of you! CANNONBALL!!!!!!!

Mainly just so faceman feels extra peer pressure...cmon man, all of us cool kids are doing it

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Same here steve, android tablet forum apps force closes, first app so far since fresh wipe and install.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Okay, stupid question time...LOL

How do I open the settings in Youtube????

EDIT::: Nevermind...just had to launch softkeys...

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Just installed froyo kernel. Had a freeze after wiping dalvick cache but was able to force boot back up and reboot back into recovery. It is running well now with 1ghz kernel.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Fixin to jump in the pool with all of you! CANNONBALL!!!!!!!
Mainly just so faceman feels extra peer pressure...cmon man, all of us cool kids are doing it

OK, for your info... i have been working on this install since i posted in the thread earlier in the day... I was just taking the time to document my install for a better install instruction.

Okay, stupid question time...LOL

How do I open the settings in Youtube????

EDIT::: Nevermind...just had to launch softkeys...

Yea, I had a hell of a time here as well. Especially since I took the time before that step to configure my softkeys the same as i had before so the physical button would do what I wanted it to... bring up my softkeys button bar - it doesn't. I can use the softkeys bar by tapping the icon in the middle right of my screen, but I hate that guy. I liked being able to set my physical button to one tap for softkeys and two taps for launcher. I have it set that way, but it don't work that way. Any ideas?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Since the install instructions are written for an advanced user and we ALL know some noob will be flashing this bad boy, here is a VERY detailed step by step, please let me know if I missed something or if I emitted an important step or language, thanks.

* Complete Installation instructions for noobs: phiremod_v.2(Beta)
1. Downloaded phiremod.zip
2. Downloaded Froyo oc kernels
3. Placed downloads onto my bootable CWR SD
4. On NC - booted into recovery (CWR)
5. Created nand backup of existing state

At this point, if you do NOT know what step 5 is and how to do it, please walk away from this tutorial and learn about how to make a backup. Because if you don't and you flash this ROM and screw up then you will be whining about a "Bricked" or screwed up Nook Color. And frankly, we don't want to hear it. If you are flashing this ROM (or any ROM to the internal eMMC) then you damn sure better know how to backup and restore BEFORE you flash. Got it? Good, you may continue now.

6. Connected to PC via USB, copied latest nand backup to PC storage
7. Disconnected NC from PC, powered down
8. Inserted bootable CWR Sd
9. Booted into recovery
10. Wiped Cache
11. Advanced -> Wiped Dalvik Cache
12. Mounts & Storage -> formatted /system and /data
13. Install from .zip -> selected phiremod.zip
14. Mounts & Storge -> unmount SD (then removed Sd from NC)
15. Reboot NC
16. let it sit for 5 min as instructed
16. @ Unlock screen, "Complete action using" --> com.android.provision.DefaultActivity
17. Turned off screen (power button tap) and turned back on (power button tap)
18. @ Back up data -- i deselected then clicked "Finish Setup"
19. @ Android -- tapped Android to load setup
20. @ ? -- Skip
21. @ Google Acct sign-in/up --> Skip
22. @ Use Google Location --> deselected both, Next
23. @ many options:
Automatic (Use network provided values) --> leave unchecked
Set Date --> left alone
Select Time zone --> selected my timezone
Set Time --> left alone
Use 24-hour format --> preference
Select date format --> preference
24. "Complete action using" --> ADW or Softkeys --> ADW
I noticed a gmail login step in the background here that i didn't return too, instead i was at my desktop
25. 'OK' for changelog of ADW
26. launch Softkeys from App Drawer (need this for the menu and back buttons)
27. launch Settings from App Drawer --> Enable WiFi
28. from Settings --> Open WiFi Settings --> connect to router
29. from Settings --> Mobile network settings --> deselected Data enabled & Data roaming
30. launch You Tube from app drawer --> Accept ToS
using softkeys, open menu and select My Channel (bottom left icon)
Add Account (use your gmail account)
return home
31. launch Settings from App Drawer --> Accounts & sync settings
select your gmail account
check the Sync Contacts & Sync Gmail boxes (will auto sync immediately)
return home
32. launch Market Enabler from App Drawer
tap Settings List
press and hold on T-Mobile
select 'fake this provider now'
allow superuser
return home
33. launch Market --> Accept ToS (verify apps show up)
34. see below
35. Reboot (this will adjust the lockscreen properly and help straighten things up).
I removed step 34 for now because it doesn't seem to work as I intended and I am trying to figure out why. I will include it here for reference and maybe someone can help me get it straight:

34. launch Softkeys from App Drawer --> allow SU --> close Changelog --> configure (wrench icon)
physical home button --> "Single Tap softkeys, Double Tap Launcher
virtual home button --> normal press --> select ADW
?? doesn't work. tapping "N" gets me home, and tapping "N" from home gets me screen previews??

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yea I think everything is there. I didn't boot into recovery from sdcard though. I flashed clockworkmod recovery in rom manager and booted into recovery from there. I had cwr installed on my device already. But either way should be fine. One just need to get in recovery.

I am using Button Savior so don't know about sc. If you hold the n button down it shows recent apps.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^don't agree with #12, I would just wipe cache, dalvik and wipe data/factory reset
and instruction vary for those who are running CWR installed.

A few pics, not much, just getting started. Need to get fancy widgets.

$ScreenShot-2-1.png$ScreenShot-3-1.png$ScreenShot-1-1.png$ScreenShot-3.png$ScreenShot-5.png
pencil.png

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
^don't agree with #12, I would just wipe cache, dalvik and wipe data/factory reset
and instruction vary for those who are running CWR installed.

Well, I am pretty sure the wiping of the caches are unnecessary since the install wipes them itself, and formatting /system is a habit just like wiping the cache. Doesn't hurt really, just making sure the install has a clean slate all around.

True about those running CWR installed not having to do exactly the same in the first few steps. But installing everything from the awesome bootable SD is a habit I am working to form. It allows me to keep my "Data" SD as just that, storage only. And I have one bootable 4gb Sd that has EVERYTHING i need to restore, recover, install, overclock, etc. I like the separation between the two.

ok, more important... how have you dealt with the black text on black background issue?

And has anyone tried a launcher other than ADW yet?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Update - my issue with softkeys not working is simply because of ADW. I installed Zeam and it functions just like it used to on Eclair 2.1... so it looks like I will stick with Zeam, I kind of liked it more than ADW anyway. Simpler.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Here's what I do for black on black text....For the black on black menu items in apps...you can press and hold to highlight items to see them then slide your finger elsewhere on screen before release...but I don't know of a solid fix. I think it is a framework issue.