Set CPU...did I set it rigfht?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Gloria, I am glad to help and glad to see you made it to 9 hrs! I wouldn't say I exactly know what is going to work, it is more like I guess and you check, though I do have an idea of what settings should help ;)

I am curious to see what would happen if you took it to the extreme by making the Max setting on the main tab 300MHz (or all the way down) for an entire day. Would it still be usable for most things or too slow? How long would it go?

Thanks for being the experimental tester :)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Ok,I'm going to try your last setting first, I did already things on the internet that I need to do fast.,so it is ok even if it slows down. I 'm sure others are trying your settings without reporting though. But let's begin!
Gloriai

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Cool, this will give a good idea what the upper limit of batery life is :)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi JP,yesterday I use the second setting and in the main I change the Max to 300and I was surprised not to see any difference in performance. I did reboot it after setting. Today after recharging last night I see a difference... it'' so slow in changing pages on the internet that I gave it up, now I'm using the forum app and is ok, reading is ok as well. What it seems here is that it took a full charge for the new setting to start working, let's see know if the battery is going to perform better, I cannot say yet, I've been on my nook only 40 minutes so far but I,l' ll be back
Gloria

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I was checking...the battery is at 87%after 45 min.I remember with the first sertting I was using 10%of my battery every hour.
I should

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I should have left the first setting and change only the Max in the main to 300 MHr?
Gloria

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I believe the Main Tab overrides the Profiles tab but it may not. Try these profiles just in case.

Profiles-
Screen Off - Max 300MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 98
Charging/Full - Max 800MHz , Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 95
Battery<35% - Battery 35%; Max 300MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 90
Battery<65% - Battery 65%; Max 600MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 85

You may have to reboot to get the Main Tab setting to take effect. If this works you can manually crank the Main Tab down all the way to extend battery life on days where you know you will need extra. Then again it might not make that much of a difference.

-JP

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Jp,I just set these profilles, I can see this is the setting that gave me 9 hours and I had on the main 800MHr-m300. So now main is max300-min 300. If I understand correctly , you are saying to change the max on main back to 800 and if I am in a situation that I need more than 9 hours , I can change it back to 300MH z.RIGHT?
GG

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yep, that is what I was thinking. I was hoping you might try the max/min on the main tab at 300/300MHz for a whole day and see how long it lasted. 300MHz max would probably be the longest it will ever last.

After that test then you could have 9hrs with the settings above at 800/300MHz on the main tab and up to the longest possible time if you decided to switch the main tab all the way down to 300/300MHz when you needed more battery life.

:)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Here I am for my daily report... .with the main set at:-Max 300MHr,Min 300, it seems to me that I got a worse performance than when the setting was :Max800,Min300.You told me it should be better so I double checked and I made sure I didn't install any new app-battery eater, but I am sure I lost in a day at least one hour and a half.Every timeI checked on the buttom left of my screen the battery level was: 600 max-300min. Now I'm on the old main setting :max 800-min300 and the battery level profile says:300max- 300min.
Anyway I found, actually you found a good setting that gives me 9 hours and I'm happy and super grateful and I don’t know a better way to thank you than to just thank you , so...thank you, JP
Gloria

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You are welcome and I am glad you have one good option and maybe a couple of others. One thing I wasn't sure about on running 300MHz as the max is that although you are using less processor it may take it longer to complete tasks and drain the battery more. So you can use a little more power at 600MHz and get something done quickly or use less power at 300MHz but maybe it takes 3 times as long to do. ??? Who knows.

Thank you for palying along :D

gsutton

Feb 2, 2011
Here I am for my daily report... .with the main set at:-Max 300MHr,Min 300, it seems to me that I got a worse performance than when the setting was :Max800,Min300.You told me it should be better so I double checked and I made sure I didn't install any new app-battery eater, but I am sure I lost in a day at least one hour and a half.Every timeI checked on the buttom left of my screen the battery level was: 600 max-300min. Now I'm on the old main setting :max 800-min300 and the battery level profile says:300max- 300min.
Anyway I found, actually you found a good setting that gives me 9 hours and I'm happy and super grateful and I don&#8217;t know a better way to thank you than to just thank you , so...thank you, JP
Gloria

Can you restate the actual setup that resulted in the 9-hour performance, or perhaps the Post No. that contains it (I am not sure exactly which one you used)? THANKS!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Can you restate the actual setup that resulted in the 9-hour performance, or perhaps the Post No. that contains it (I am not sure exactly which one you used)? THANKS!

Main Tab:
Max slider should be all the way to the right (800MHz)
Min slider should be all the way to the left (300MHz)
Scaling should be "conservative"
Set on Boot sould be checked

Profiles-
Battery<35% - Battery 35%; Max 300MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 90
Battery<65% - Battery 65%; Max 600MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 85

Advanced Tab:
Sampling Rate - 300000
Up Thershold - 90 (bumps to the next higher frequency when CPU use exceeds 90% on current frequency)
Down Threshold - 50 (bumps to the next lower frequency when CPU use drops below 50% on current frequency)
Ignore Nice Load - 0
Freq Step - 5

gsutton

Feb 2, 2011
Main Tab:
Max slider should be all the way to the right (800MHz)
Min slider should be all the way to the left (300MHz)
Scaling should be "conservative"

Profiles-

Advanced Tab:
Sampling Rate - 300000
Up Thershold - 90 (bumps to the next higher frequency when CPU use exceeds 90% on current frequency)
Down Threshold - 50 (bumps to the next lower frequency when CPU use drops below 50% on current frequency)
Ignore Nice Load - 0
Freq Step - 5

THANKS!! I would "Thanks" you but there is only a "report post" icon in the lower left of each post window. Thanks again!!