SetCPU settings for the NOOKcolor

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Here are my SetCPU profiles to get your NC to get 12 hrs+ of moderate use per charge and make your NC a little more responsive.

Main Tab:
-Set Scaling to "ondemand"
-Check Set on Boot
94791d45.png

Profiles Tab:
-Check Enable
-Check Notifications (optional)
-Create these four profiles and check them
767fdbed.png

Advanced Tab:
-Change Up Threshold to 35% (optional for speed and snappier responding NC)

Definition: Up Threshold tells the cpu when or at what load to scale up. The lower the %, the less load it will take and the faster the cpu to scale up, the higher the %, the slower the cpu will scale up, therefore conserving even more power.

-Check Set on Boot
0729b235.png

Edit: Tip below is best for devices with 3G not the NOOKcolor
Additional power saving tip: Leave your NC connected to any wifi network as much as possible throughout the day.

Know other settings or profiles, post um if you got um. :)

Last edited:

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
great tips Thanks!

can you enlighten me on this - thought turning off the wifi radio helps the battery life

Additional power saving tip: Leave your NC connected to any wifi network as much as possible throughout the day.

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
I have SetCPU that I snagged from Market. My Nook C is nootered 2.12.25. Can I run this app without problem? Just want to make sure it is safe.

Thanks,
kev

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
great tips Thanks!

can you enlighten me on this - thought turning off the wifi radio helps the battery life

Well this tip is more for devices with 3G radios, which the NC does not have. For phones and other devices with 3G, your wifi radio uses 1/3 of what the 3G radio does. So I should retract this tip for the NOOKcolor. I do know that if you are a NC owner and you have not applied the perminant on wifi fix, you will have better power savings. The NC will turn off the wifi a few minutes after the the screen turns off and turn it back on within 10 seconds after the screen turns off. Right now with my wifi always turn on and my SetCPU profiles, I loose only 1% an hour will the NC is asleep and the screen is off. Will turning off the wifi on your NC, save power?... probably so but I'd have to say it would only be minimal. In total today, I haven't used my NC a lot, like most days but it's been 16 hrs since I took it off the charger and I have 82% battery left.

I have SetCPU that I snagged from Market. My Nook C is nootered 2.12.25. Can I run this app without problem? Just want to make sure it is safe.

Thanks,
kev

SetCPU is safe and the app has been around for over 2 years now. Just don't mess around with the settings in the "Advanced" Tab unless you know what you are doing. SetCPU is also used for overclocking the cpu but currently the NC's kernel is not overclockable. So basically you couldn't accidental damage your cpu with this app.

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
After I add the profiles, the first screen changes from 800mz scaling on demand to 600mhz scaling on demand - is this right?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Advanced Tab:
-Change Up Threshold to 35% (optional for speed and snappier responding NC)

Definition: Up Threshold tells the cpu when or at what load to scale up. The lower the %, the less load it will take and the faster the cpu to scale up, the higher the %, the slower the cpu will scale up, therefore conserving even more power.

-Check Set on Boot
0729b235.png

Tip: After a few days of obervation I've noticed, although at 35% threshhold makes the NC very snappy, it uses quite a bit of power. I'd suggest if you do choose to change the setting from it's default 95%, I'd stay in the 50 to 95% range. At that range your NC should get the benefits of both worlds, still being snappier than stock while still conserving power.

After I add the profiles, the first screen changes from 800mz scaling on demand to 600mhz scaling on demand - is this right?

The Main tab shows what the cpu is currently doing and it has the slider to make on the fly cpu speed settings. When the scaling is set to "on demand" you will see the mhz go from 800 to 600 and back to 800. You may even see it go down to 300 depending on your threshold. This is all normal.

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
I got about 15 hours yesterday - and probably 7+ hours of reading on it, with these settings and using the stock reader - thanks for the tips!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update to OP:

Change to profile tab settings - The lower battery level needs to have a higher priority over the higher battery level.
(Tutorial pic shown to reflect changes)

Smaugy

Feb 18, 2011
I have SetCPU 2.1.0 and trying to match your configs I run into an issue. I am using the stock 2.1 OS and with SetCPU I don't have the Charging/Full option in Profiles.

With that missing how should I configure SetCPU for Charging or should I add a couple of additional profiles? I am trying to match this so that it works well.

Thanks......