Tethering

rkka93

May 5, 2011
just got to thinking, i had to cycle my wifi once i put the modified one in and changed permissions... it should automatically shut it off if i remember correctly but if not definitely do so yourself. (i've done this on two different a500's so i know the process works with whats posted) sorry if its causing you trouble, just make sure you keep your original wpa file incase heh

Humantelope....just to be sure. Could you confirm the file size of the new file is 230.62k?

Humantelope

May 2, 2011
thats a negative, my windows machine is showing it at 290K and in my tab its showing up as 289.03K in root explorer

also: just redownloaded the zip file from the first link i had, the zip is tiny but when extracted i'm still seeing 290K and it works fine for me. wonder how thats happening for ya

rkka93

May 5, 2011
Thanks. That was it. I had to register the first time I tried to download the zip file and somehow must have gotten to the wrong link after confirming my registration. Just downloaded it again and works. Now I need to figure out why the Bluetooth isn't connecting.

Humantelope

May 2, 2011
glad to hear you got it settled, as far as the bluetooth goes I'm not sure how to get that to share my 3g connection from my phone using bluetooth... so you'll have to communicate with someone other than myself.. if you do find out feel free to share tho, as i'm kind of interested ;)

rkka93

May 5, 2011
Will do. I've seen someone get it working on the Xoom. I'm going to see if he has any ideas about the Iconia.

yellowian

May 10, 2011
Hi there, I just got iconia A500, but i can't tether neither wifi or bluetooth even though I rooted both of my devices. My cell is samsung vibrant with Tmobile....please advice!!!!thx

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I have an Xperia X10a (rooted, unbranded, and running 2.1) and my tablet is rooted.

I did what the OP said (on tablet only though), but Im stuck now. How do I actually get my devices to tether?
(also, i set the permissions on the file so that it looks like the original file: an upside down horseshoe. The instructions confused me with the way it described the permissions)

Last edited:

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Your ROM didn't come with wireless tether baked in? If so, it should pretty much be point and shoot, so to speak. You open up wireless tether, search for your tablet, enter your security and hit it.

Edit: after checking the Android-wifi-tether website, your phone is not listed as one of the ones supported, so you probably don't have it - correct?

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Your ROM didn't come with wireless tether baked in? If so, it should pretty much be point and shoot, so to speak. You open up wireless tether, search for your tablet, enter your security and hit it.

Edit: after checking the Android-wifi-tether website, your phone is not listed as one of the ones supported, so you probably don't have it - correct?

I am assuming that you are responding to me?
No, there is no tethering options under settings or bluetooth. (Though, I also dont see any on the Acer Tab either). So, I guess my phone cant tether? Not even through USB?
I have never done tethering before, so I am completely new at this.

Batchman

May 14, 2011
No, there is no tethering options under settings or bluetooth. (Though, I also dont see any on the Acer Tab either).

I don't think you'll see anything on the Tab. After all, to the Tab the "tether" is just another Wifi connection. It all depends on your phone, which means it probably depends on your carrier. Here in Germany, everything worked right out of the box. I just activated tethering on my (unbranded) LG Optimus One, and the Tab found it. If Wifi on my router and the phone are both on, the Tab stays with the router (probably because the signal is stronger). But when I turn the router Wifi off, the Tab connects to the phone in a couple seconds. When I turn the phone tethering off and the router Wifi back on, the Tab switches back. So far I've just tested at home as I haven't really had a need to use the tethering yet.

I bought the LG pretty much for tethering a tablet, though it's proved usefull (my first smart phone). As I was watching the developing tablet market, I noticed the price difference between off-contract Wifi only tablets and the 3G versions was often enough to just about pay for an entry level Android phone phone like the Optimus One.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

panda

Apr 25, 2011
I have a Samsung Nexus S and have no problem tethering via wireless to my A500 or any other device for that matter. Both devices are unrooted and not running any extra software for tethering. Haven't been able to get USB tethering to work yet but am hoping to be able to in the future since it would be nice to be able to charge my phone and pump data to my a500 at the same time!

Samoa Joe

May 16, 2011
I had to root mine to gain access to it, but after that it works seamlessly with my iPhone 4 and MyWi, I love it.

-Joe.