To Root or Not to Root?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I installed Dolphin HD, when I rooted...

As rainmakerrc noted you should install Zeam by going to the Market. Once Zeam is installed you will have a little icon in the doc at the bottom that looks like a grid of boxes. Touching this icon will take you to the "app drawer" that lists all of your installed apps. The touching and holding the app will take it to your home screen where you can use it as a shortcut to launch the app.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I just did install zeam and I got the apps on my home sceen ...,it looks great,thank you both. I think I read somewhere that one cannot change the order of the apps as they appear on the home screen, ...is it true?

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
I just did install zeam and I got the apps on my home sceen ...,it looks great,thank you both. I think I read somewhere that one cannot change the order of the apps as they appear on the home screen, ...is it true?
You can, just tap-hold on the icon then you can drag it anywhere you like, even to the trash. Same with objects in the little drawer at the bottom.

z71ping

Jan 24, 2011
I just got my NookColor. The primary reason I purchased it over Kindle/Cruzer and others is its ability to display my PDF documents in a fashion that is readable.

I am interested in doing the auto-nooter on my nook,but am apprehensive about the ability to read/display ect PDF documents when I do it.( I would expect that I may have more ability after the Root)

I would like to hear from someone that has root(ed) there NC and their experience reading pdfs...

Are you able to search the document?

Is the Table of contents easy to use...

Right now these things are not possible and I was hoping that with the NC rooted I may be able to have these options.
Any recommendations?
Thank you
Rick

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
z71, I too wanted to view PDF files on my NC and I was very disappointed with the factory installed viewer. In fact, it wouldn't open a lot of my PDFs due to them being the lastest version of PDF. The factory viewer is apparently a generation or so behind, because I had to convert them to an older version. Anywho, I rooted it and then went to the market and got the official Adobe Acrobat reader because I figured if anything will read my stuff, that would. I wasn't disappointed. Everything I've opened reads just fine. Some have TOCs, some don't. Haven't noticed a problem.

As for the root process, do it..

Step 1 - Download the image file.
Step 2 - Download the program.
Step 3 - Flash the image to your SD card.
Step 4 - Turn off NC.
Step 5 - Put SD in NC.
Step 6 - Plug NC up to computer with cable.
Step 7 - Let it sit there for 5 minutes.

Done. That's it. From there, you surf the market downloading free apps until you can't find anything else to download. At least that's what I did =)

z71ping

Jan 24, 2011
Done. That's it. From there, you surf the market downloading free apps until you can't find anything else to download. At least that's what I did =)

LOL! I am sure I will...
Thank you for the reply...I was wondering if there was and Adobe reader for the Android. I am new to this...

I have another question:

Can you book mark and search the doc?

Rick

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I'm not too picky which PDF reader I use (though RaVenJ you're right, the stock ain't so hot), but there are several members here who can recommend their favorite PDF app! There are several really nice ones, both free and paid. That is one of the things that makes a rooted Nook so nice.

And yeah I say DO IT. It's not only fast and easy, but also very easy to reset your Nook to stock if you feel like it. No one will ever know you rooted it!

-Matt

z71ping

Jan 24, 2011
Rick, I'm trying out the Adobe Reader on my Droid (Nook is at home) and the functions are limited. My version has options for changing the view, but I don't see bookmarking or search. However, I am certain there are good alternatives. FYI, ezPDF (ezPDF Reader - Android app on AppBrain) costs 99 cents and I've seen users rave about it.

-Matt

Okay thank you for the help. BTW I am going to root....party!..I am currently reading the Useful Links and Rooting Information (READ FIRST)"" post...The pdf question came about while reading the documents in that post...
One more question how do you send out a thanks for the people that help you>>>???

Rick

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Well you're very thoughtful!!! Figure out which is the helpful post, and if you look on the left, under the member's screename, avatar, and point counts, you should see a Thanks button. :)

One important bit of advice, assuming you'll do the autonoot: make sure you have an adapter for your sdcard, and use your PC to write the autonoot image file. Oh, and make sure to use Win32DiskImager (see info and download link here: NookColor Rooting - nookDevs and https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Win32DiskImager) rather than WinImage.

-Matt

z71ping

Jan 24, 2011
I am going to do the auto nooter ...Will there be someone on this discussion group that will help if I have trouble?
of to the Future of reading ;)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Oh there are several people here who are always available to help, including rico2001, our super forum moderator. Don't hesitate to pop in if you run into something you don't understand. A popular thread is this one in fact...don't know if you've read all 119 pages (I exaggerate), but there are a few rooting melodramas in it already. :)

I'd wish you good luck, but you don't need it!

-Matt

z71ping

Jan 24, 2011
Okay..I am currently trying to log into my Google mail account...(it is rooted)
Whooooohoooooo!
I am going through the opening tutorial.....question
How do I turn on the wireless?
How do I stop the uSD card to remove it?

What should be my next steps????
Launcher ?

Thanks
Rick

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Agreed, you don't need luck. You just need simple, clear instructions and here they are:

This is what I used, and it works.. The only deviations are where he says leave it off for 5 minutes, mine actually started booting itself up after just a minute or so. Kind of scared me, but I've read since then that it's normal. Another thing he doesn't mention is that once your device goes from being a "Nook Color" to an "Android Tablet" to Windows, it's going to ask for drivers. You won't have them. You'll think "OMG, this is going to screw it up" but it doesn't.. Just cancel all the Windows popups.. You'll do just fine..

Also, if you look at this guy's other videos, he has one on un-rooting it.

One thing he doesn't cover is the fact that your MicroSD card is going to be repartitioned to be just 40mb.. Then when you try to fix it in Windows, you find that Windows will not touch the stupid thing! Easy fix is to just use the Nook to unmount the MicroSD. That'll get your space back.

Last edited by a moderator:

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Okay..I am currently trying to log into my Google mail account...(it is rooted)
Whooooohoooooo!
I am going through the opening tutorial.....question
How do I turn on the wireless?
How do I stop the uSD card to remove it?

What should be my next steps????
Launcher ?

Thanks
Rick

Guess I was late.. lol

You turn on the wifi the same way as before. Hit the arrow in the middle, go to settings, then wireless.. After that, go to the Extras folder and hit the market. Search for Zeam (my favorite), Launcher Pro or ADW launcher to get a cool new desktop. Welcome to the addiction =)