Viewsonic Viewpad 10s

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I almost bought this device purley for the dual boot. It is a great feature that sets it above the rest BUT, due to the small internal storage size and the lack of custom ROMs... I went with the G-Tablet.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I almost bought this device purley for the dual boot. It is a great feature that sets it above the rest BUT, due to the small internal storage size and the lack of custom ROMs... I went with the G-Tablet.
This is actually the 10s that came out this month... We didn't do a news article on it because it was kind of a silent launch. I just started noticing worldwide availability.

Not sure if this is a simple case redesign.

Of note is the lack of front home and menu buttons. You probably want to remap those keys

(look under /system/usr/keylayout/ as usual)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
On a side note, I think the 10s is a rebranded Advent Vega with slight modifications to its casing. Everything is in the exact same location. And I mean it. The specs match as well. The only difference is that the Viewsonic is more expensive :D

Sorry for not seeing this before.

Try the Advent Vega ROMs

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
On a side note, I think the 10s is a rebranded Advent Vega with slight modifications to its casing. Everything is in the exact same location. And I mean it. The specs match as well. The only difference is that the Viewsonic is more expensive :D

Sorry for not seeing this before.

Try the Advent Vega ROMs

You are right. Fuji Vega Modded Rom installed on VP10s but wifi could not connect and file manager did not work . USB mode worked. Hope someone will fix the wifi issue.

Shayind4

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Weird that wifi does not connect. Might be small differences in the hardware as well then.

I presume clockwork recovery works?

I guess someone should take a look at what is causing the wifi issue. Maybe you will find more help on XDA or Modaco for that though. Modaco seems to be the more popular forum for the Advent Vega.

Ideally, you have a copy of your stock firmware so you can compare the differences.

Pull the config.gz and upload it somewhere.

Try a custom kernel that might have a new wifi driver that works better? Not sure.

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
Weird that wifi does not connect. Might be small differences in the hardware as well then.

I presume clockwork recovery works?

I guess someone should take a look at what is causing the wifi issue. Maybe you will find more help on XDA or Modaco for that though. Modaco seems to be the more popular forum for the Advent Vega.

Ideally, you have a copy of your stock firmware so you can compare the differences.

Pull the config.gz and upload it somewhere.

Try a custom kernel that might have a new wifi driver that works better? Not sure.

Wifi now works with static ip ( it will not connect otherwise). Clockwork recovery is not working. I have a copy of stock firmware, and will pull config.gz to upload.

Thanks

Shayind4

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
If the clockwork recovery does not work, it sounds like something may be different with the hardware layout as well.

Try swapping the kernel in the recovery image, or asking for someone to do it for you on XDA.

macros

Mar 13, 2011
Wifi now works with static ip ( it will not connect otherwise). Clockwork recovery is not working. I have a copy of stock firmware, and will pull config.gz to upload.

Thanks

Shayind4

good to here that we can use alt. roms,can you tell me if the fuji vega rom is good for viewpad
besides the wifi isseus.
i saw a different kernel here: [KERNEL] corvusKernel |.32|CIFS|TUN|EXT4|SLAB|CFQ|WiFi|NTFS|HOST/SLAVE|PL2303|XPAD - xda-developers .
would this also solve the wifi problem ?
i would like to try it myself, but would the recovery image from here: ViewSonic - Knowledge Base fix it
to if you mess with the kernel.

thanks in advance.

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
If the clockwork recovery does not work, it sounds like something may be different with the hardware layout as well.

Try swapping the kernel in the recovery image, or asking for someone to do it for you on XDA.

Clockwork recovery does not work ( Vega recovery/ROM manager etc). Camera/sound/rotation need to be fixed. Almost everything else works. I have no clue about swapping kernel etc. I will ask someone at XDA/Modaco. I have uploaded stock imgs and TNT Lite vega config.gz to megaupload.
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service oriboot.img
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service orimisc.img
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service config.gz
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service orirecovery.img
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service orisystem.img

Thanks
Shayind4

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
good to here that we can use alt. roms,can you tell me if the fuji vega rom is good for viewpad
besides the wifi isseus.
i saw a different kernel here: [KERNEL] corvusKernel |.32|CIFS|TUN|EXT4|SLAB|CFQ|WiFi|NTFS|HOST/SLAVE|PL2303|XPAD - xda-developers .
would this also solve the wifi problem ?
i would like to try it myself, but would the recovery image from here: ViewSonic - Knowledge Base fix it
to if you mess with the kernel.

thanks in advance.

I think the alternative rom is very good. It only needs to be fine tuned, and camera/sound/rotation fixed. Wifi is static and usb connects to PC. ADB works after adding Nvidia driver info to setup information file. The finished rom will be far better than stock. You can try it, and use firmware update from viewsonic to revert back to stock but i'm not sure about the effect of swapping kernel.

regards

Shayind4

singleserver

Mar 24, 2011
Hi Shayind4.

thanks for posting the zip file. i have problem installing Market as well.
after i put it in sd card and run, 10s reboots and hangs ( with the "installing android icon" )

click on the power button it shows some log on the screen:
Finding update package...
E: can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk2
(NO such file or directory)
E can't mount SDCARD: Download/market_update0.zip
Installation aborted.
Formating MISC:....

Do you happen to know anything about this problem? may i know your framework version? i just purchased mine and the shop upgraded it to v1.10 for me. wonder if it is the cause of the problem, and if there is any workaround.

thank you

macros

Mar 13, 2011
Ok thanks for the info. i'm going to try and find some more info on swapping kernel.
I only want to change my rom when i don't have to gather all sorts of alternative solutions from different locations just to make it work properly.
But i'm gonna check out the corvuskernel that i mentioned above and see if it's any good to us.

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
Hi Shayind4.

thanks for posting the zip file. i have problem installing Market as well.
after i put it in sd card and run, 10s reboots and hangs ( with the "installing android icon" )

click on the power button it shows some log on the screen:
Finding update package...
E: can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk2
(NO such file or directory)
E can't mount SDCARD: Download/market_update0.zip
Installation aborted.
Formating MISC:....

Do you happen to know anything about this problem? may i know your framework version? i just purchased mine and the shop upgraded it to v1.10 for me. wonder if it is the cause of the problem, and if there is any workaround.

thank you

Hi

I used the upgrade firmware from the viewsonic website ( see post 41 above), the EC version is 1.9.0 . The market zip file should install easily using software tool under settings. You may have to redownload the zip file again (1941kb).

Shayind4