3.2 update = Mid September

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I have been so happy with my A500 that I haven't even tried to "root" the system. I know a few A500 owners were complaining that ACER have locked down the system, making it difficult to root, but the reasons are quite simple. Their approach is somewhat similar to the way APPLE has locked down the ipad apps under the itunes scheme - less trouble with possible malware an such. As much as I see the common sence in the approach, I still would like to see freedom of choice being exercised by the user as ultimate reason.

Maybe when I buy a new update tab I'll fool around with A500.
For the moment it will be "steady as she goes!"

SandraC

Feb 16, 2011
I do like my Iconia 501, and am also waiting for OS update. I have problems with Apps that have been attributed to the HC 3.01 OS (according to acer helpdesk that since it's a 501 rather than a 500, it's not supposed to get the upgrade to 3.1 yet. *boggle*)

I had a lot of problems with still under warranty Acer all in one desk top, it constantly needed repairing, and on the 6th time in 18 months they said it would have to be sent in again for repairs, I demanded a new one instead. Of course that was promptly ignored by them. What I ended up doing was going to their Facebook page and publicly outing them for crappy customer service. Not only was I contacted in less than an hour, arrangements were made to replace it. And they gave me a massive upgrade, instead of just swapping. I suggest anyone who has had a problem with Acer, and I mean problem, not just some petty complaint, find them on Facebook.

SandraC

Feb 16, 2011
One reason to have a rooted device is to make a complete system back up of the device. That and being able to use an NTFS formatted external drive, because as of right now, it can only read FAT32. According to Acer, that might change with a specific Acer App, but as it stands now, you need rooted device and "DriveMount" app.

As for ease of rooting, nothing could be simpler. Download the right apk for the right OS version, install, touch, root. Done.

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
This is a little off topic.. but I'm tempted to root and over lock to 1.6ghz. Found a really good guide how, and I just want to understand more about my tablet/general computer knowledge. Why not start young?

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
Here's my update for my A500...

This Morning (07-Sep-11), Algeria Time, successfully updated my firmware system from 3.01 to 3.1.
It took me almost 7 Hrs. for the updating including the installation of the system.

I started last night at around 8pm and when I woke up next day at 4AM (just in time the application is ready for installation) I installed and now a proud owner of updated Acer A500 Tablet!

Now, just finished installing ADOBE Flash and next will be adding some more applications.

I'll be waiting for the next update (3.2)

SandraC

Feb 16, 2011
I've been informed by Acer that my tab is the 501 so the update doesn't apply, but only difference is mine has 3g. Has anyone updated OS on the 501?

Sent from my A501 using Android Tablet Forum

HD87

May 14, 2011
"We know a number of you in Malaysia are waiting for the A500 Honeycomb 3.2 OTA which we said will be out on 10 Sep 2011. We would like to inform you in advance that we have received communications that the patch will not be out on this date. We know you are disappointed and angry, and we truly apologize. We are equally disappointed and hope to resolve this issue as soon as possible. We do not want to promise another date as this matter is beyond our control. However, our target is to resolve this as quickly as we can. We hope for your kind understanding. Thank you."

Acer Malaysia

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
What's the likelihood they'll just skip 3.2 and give us ICS early next year?

Slim to none is my guess.

Remember that they had 3.2 ready and actually started rolling it out when the bug was discovered, and they
had to fix that. So they are very close, and I'm betting 3.2 its being tested even as we speak by some lucky beta testers. (I want that job).

ICS is a loooong way from being ready.

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
I hope that in a couple of years tablet hardware will become uniform much like a computers is and the tablet makers will allow us to upgrade on our own terms. For instance, when a new version of windows is released, I don't have to wait for dell or HP, or whomever made my computer to release their own flavor of it for their computers, I can just go out and buy the OS and install it. I want that for android tablets.I don't want to wait for Acer, Motorola, HTC, etc to release their own patched versions of the OS, I just want to get what google gives.

Maybe we're moving away from such freedom, but I sure hope not. Anyone want to start or know where to find the Open Tablet Foundation?

HarshReality

Jun 19, 2011
I hope that in a couple of years tablet hardware will become uniform much like a computers is and the tablet makers will allow us to upgrade on our own terms. For instance, when a new version of windows is released, I don't have to wait for dell or HP, or whomever made my computer to release their own flavor of it for their computers, I can just go out and buy the OS and install it. I want that for android tablets.I don't want to wait for Acer, Motorola, HTC, etc to release their own patched versions of the OS, I just want to get what google gives.

Maybe we're moving away from such freedom, but I sure hope not. Anyone want to start or know where to find the Open Tablet Foundation?

Im not following.. you know the Xoom and Transformer both have ROMs and for the most part those ROMs have been migrated to work on the A500?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I hope that in a couple of years tablet hardware will become uniform much like a computers is and the tablet makers will allow us to upgrade on our own terms.

That is what Google is pushing for too.

They would like to get rid of the custom User Interfaces and stuff so that updates can be simply pushed.

But the problem is that they (Google/Android) packaged hardware drivers into the kernel rather than
as separate modules so that they could remain on the device as the kernel and the UI is replaced.

The manufacturers are stuck with this for now. Google is its own worst enemy in this regard.

Somewhere along the line this will get done, but its not close.

SandraC

Feb 16, 2011
Acer AU. told me via support ticket that the update will roll out at the end of September. All that means is I will have to wait to re-root my device.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Acer AU. told me via support ticket that the update will roll out at the end of September. All that means is I will have to wait to re-root my device.

Was that specific to the 501, or all A500 series?