Anyone see the New Archos tablets

splintercraig

Aug 20, 2010
I had purchased a apad e7001 from merimobiles and through a stroke of luck, it turns out i mistyped a number for my 3 digit security code. 9 hours later i received a e-mail that the order was not processed and my money will be refunded. Today i read a article talking about the archos announcement of five new tablets running android fryo 2.2 to be released in the middle and at the end of this month. Cheapest one is $99 and is available for pre-order today. Forget about it. I am waiting for the 70 at $275 although. iPad too pricey? This 10-inch Android tablet is just $300 | DVICE

Last edited:

klown07

Aug 27, 2010
I was so close to ordering the new Ipod Touch 4th gen....I was torn between that or getting a Garmin Nuvi 255w for this month along with the new samsung bdc or bdp7500 bluray player via QVC.com. I decided to wait, because I REALLY want an android tablet with good specs. $299 is my limit lol. So the Archos 101 looks like a good contender any others? Has to have google market gsensor accelerometer, and mutlitouch. Well I'm excited either way. Can't wait to get my hands on a good tablet. I went ahead and bought a GPS device cuz my wife was asking for one. I'll start saving up for android!

Vernon17

Sep 6, 2010
Archos looks good. If you look around you can see many of the PC companies are wanting to get into the market.

Tablets coming out the last quarter of 2010 or early in 2011
Samsung
Toshiba
Velocity
Elocity
Viewsonic
Asus
Acer
HP
Archos
Dell
MSI
Lenovo
VILIV
Sharp
Fujitsu

In this article the CEO of Best Buy says he is going to stock a good variety of Tablets in the near future. Best Buy Mobile bullish on tablets for this holiday season | ITworld

the above list is what I found on the internet. I am not trying to say that we will find all these at BestBuy.

Last edited:

Beardr0id

Aug 26, 2010
That is an excellent point, there are definitely more companies jumping on the android bandwagon. In past, the Archos devices have had a reputation for being buggy and not having the best support structure. They still sold because they were the only product of their kind available. Soon there will be a plethora of options, and I find myself reluctant to trust Archos over Samsung or Toshiba.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
See my comments Bolded below

Tablets coming out the last quarter of 2010 or early in 2011
Samsung - Galaxy =Android / Q1 and Other Series =Windows
Toshiba Folio=Android / Libretto and others =Windows
Velocity Android Only
Elocity Android Only
Viewsonic Android Only
Asus Both Android and Windows
Acer Both Android and Windows
HP Both Android, Windows and Maybe WebOS
Archos Android Only (Will likely have One offs as well)
Dell Streak = Android and Potentially Windows solution
MSI Both Android and Windows
Lenovo LeChat = Android Plus other Windows Tablets
VILIV Windows only with Android Interest
Sharp Android and potentially Windows
Fujitsu Both Android and Windows

So when the CEO says he is bullish on Tablets, he may be considering more than just Android. He may also be trying to put a wedge a better deal with Apple too.

Just my opinion.

Archos is not yet available with their new tablets. and the one shown at IFA-2010 were Android 2.1 The prices for the base Archos are always attractive. but not competitive unless they offer more than their market.

My older Archos 5 IMT duals between AOS and Angstrom Linux. It is amazing what the Linux Port provided by Archos and then tweaked by others can do.

charles

Aug 18, 2010
Is there any indication as to the distribution channel that Archos will use? I have some of the Archos PVR's and am pleased with those and would have no problem purchasing something from the company but still would like to know where to buy them locally. By the way I am interested in the 10 inch screen. Also would like to have access to the complete Android market.

adewolf

May 3, 2010
Best Buy is the only local place here (San Diego, California) that carries Archos products. Otherwise it is Amazon. I have the 5 IT and it's a great product, IMHO. The resistive touch screen is not too bad on this and the video/audio playback is outstanding. I would have no problems with Apple if they would allow FLAC/OGG and all of the video codecs on their products. At least Archos does support this.

kmq

Sep 15, 2010
With bad reputation Archos have I'm reluctant to even consider them, but - 10 inch for $300? Sound tempting, especially since it seams all good Android tablets will be quite expensive.
If I have to spend over $500 I could very well just order iPad (not that I would ever buy anything Apple)

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
With bad reputation Archos have I'm reluctant to even consider them, but - 10 inch for $300? Sound tempting, especially since it seams all good Android tablets will be quite expensive.
If I have to spend over $500 I could very well just order iPad (not that I would ever buy anything Apple)

Not sure what you mean bad reputation of Archos. Archos has a very proprietary attitude, which makes it difficult to Root, or play fair on GPL. But as to reliability. I had have had no issues with any of the Archos use.
The price point for Archos has dropped. The 10.1 is a good example. Previously they would have priced it closer to the same as the IPad. But at 300/350USD. It is tempting.

Just my opinion though

RemyL75

Jul 14, 2010
They usually sell through their own online store, amazon, and then eventually other online stores like newegg.com.
As for hacking, the communnity over at archosforums is damn good at that in regards to archos devices

Sep 24, 2010
Last edited: