Best Browser for S7

terryc

Nov 13, 2010
I have both Dolphin and Skyfire.....and haven't decided which I like better. They are both good.

Ives

Dec 10, 2010
Jumping on the skyfire bandwagon here. Mostly for the video support to cover lack of flash.

Ives

poncespr

Nov 24, 2010
Both seem nice to me, but Skyfire seems to rely on the default browser, Dolphin does not. Since I removed the stock web browser my only choice is Dolphin.

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
I have tried both Skyfire, not bad and Dolphin for the first time and not bad either. Once we get 2.2 there is nothing better than the stock browser IMO.

I just installed Xscope, I had this on my Driod X before the 2.2 upgrade and had the paid version. I worked fairly good. So far I am very happy with in on the s7.

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
I wish Firefox beta would work on the S7. I have it on my Evo and it works awesome. The sync works with my laptop so I have all of my bookmarks and history with me where ever I go.

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Hi, quick into, I have a HTC Hero, and I am considering a S7, so no direct experience of using browsers on a tablet.

However

I have been developing a web site that specifically requires that the browser should use local storage and work offline.

I tested my web app on my HTC Hero and learnt quite a lot about Android browsers

I found that there are 2 types of browsers - the traditional type that send requests to the web server and get responses back direct, then there are the "tethered" browsers,these do not talk to the world,they talk to a single proxy server that then downloads and caches your page, they also re-format desktop pages into a phone friendly format. both the Dolphin and Opera droid browsers are tethered, I think the Safari Iphone browser may also work this may.

This tethering has some implications both positive and negative.

Plus side

quicker especially if you visit popular sites that are not optimised for droids

neggies

Mr Dolphin knows about every site you visit, they will doubtless be selling your ip address to advertisers etc

Offline caching does not work, as your browser does not recognise that cached files match the web sites "please cache" list

I also found that some of the browsers do not even work with local storage - in particular the new Opera browser.

A further niggle with the Dophin browser ( even in paid mode ) it goes and plants all sorts of unwanted junk in your book marks and makes it difficult to get the stuff back out again.

So to summarise

The default android webkit browser works fine but does not work offline - it does seem to caache files, but does not seem to know about cache manifests

Dolphin is a great browser - very fast but can not work with sites designed to work offline- I also don't like it knowing all my business

Opera Beta - again it's a nosey blighter and as yet does not support local storage

Skyfire - nice to use easy to access and edit bookmarks and works with my web site

I also tested a number of other browsers, none came close to the droid default, Dolphin or Skyfire browsers

In conclusion then my vote is for Skyfire - which also happens to be one of the top apps in the Apple app store

Pete

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
Hi, quick into, I have a HTC Hero, and I am considering a S7, so no direct experience of using browsers on a tablet.

However

I have been developing a web site that specifically requires that the browser should use local storage and work offline.

I tested my web app on my HTC Hero and learnt quite a lot about Android browsers

I found that there are 2 types of browsers - the traditional type that send requests to the web server and get responses back direct, then there are the "tethered" browsers,these do not talk to the world,they talk to a single proxy server that then downloads and caches your page, they also re-format desktop pages into a phone friendly format. both the Dolphin and Opera droid browsers are tethered, I think the Safari Iphone browser may also work this may.

This tethering has some implications both positive and negative.

Plus side

quicker especially if you visit popular sites that are not optimised for droids

neggies

Mr Dolphin knows about every site you visit, they will doubtless be selling your ip address to advertisers etc

Offline caching does not work, as your browser does not recognise that cached files match the web sites "please cache" list

I also found that some of the browsers do not even work with local storage - in particular the new Opera browser.

A further niggle with the Dophin browser ( even in paid mode ) it goes and plants all sorts of unwanted junk in your book marks and makes it difficult to get the stuff back out again.

So to summarise

The default android webkit browser works fine but does not work offline - it does seem to caache files, but does not seem to know about cache manifests

Dolphin is a great browser - very fast but can not work with sites designed to work offline- I also don't like it knowing all my business

Opera Beta - again it's a nosey blighter and as yet does not support local storage

Skyfire - nice to use easy to access and edit bookmarks and works with my web site

I also tested a number of other browsers, none came close to the droid default, Dolphin or Skyfire browsers

In conclusion then my vote is for Skyfire - which also happens to be one of the top apps in the Apple app store

Pete

First post...very useful post...thanks a lot

Domestikone

Dec 5, 2010
Has anyone found out how to close tabs on the Skyfire 3.0 tabs list?

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I've tried all ways without success!
It won't let me answer a post with a quote either.