Coby 8048 Recovery, Custom ROM

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you can't get into recovery you're pretty much done. You'll have to exchange your tablet for another one.

cool_breeze

Apr 13, 2013
Hi vampirefo.

Kindly help me with my problem regarding the 8048.
I used root_gapps_signed.zip to root two 8048-4 and it worked fine.
Unfortunately my daughter used the other one and don't know what she did and it acted differently from the other 8048-4.
I tried to unroot following the directions you created in the other.
after following the instructions i found out that the internal sd card is not showing up.
I tried to look for it using the es file manager and it is not showing up as well.

I tried using your stock_8048_root_gapps_signed.zip wiped data and cache first but after doing it the only problem now is the wifi.
it just sits there saying turining on wifi and it is not turning on.

Can I copy the other 8048-4? how can I copy?

Kindly help me with this problem thanks.

did you install stock_8048_root_gapps_signed.zip?

wipe data and cache before installing.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi vampirefo.

Kindly help me with my problem regarding the 8048.
I used root_gapps_signed.zip to root two 8048-4 and it worked fine.
Unfortunately my daughter used the other one and don't know what she did and it acted differently from the other 8048-4.
I tried to unroot following the directions you created in the other.
after following the instructions i found out that the internal sd card is not showing up.
I tried to look for it using the es file manager and it is not showing up as well.

I tried using your stock_8048_root_gapps_signed.zip wiped data and cache first but after doing it the only problem now is the wifi.
it just sits there saying turining on wifi and it is not turning on.

Can I copy the other 8048-4? how can I copy?

Kindly help me with this problem thanks.
I don't really understand what you are saying, can you reword it? you want to copy the system from one 8048 to the other?

cool_breeze

Apr 13, 2013
I don't really understand what you are saying, can you reword it? you want to copy the system from one 8048 to the other?

Hi vampirefo.,

I have 2 coby kyros MID8048-4. The coby1 is working perfectly after the root. I just followed the instructions you gave in the other thread. Now coby2 worked fine but after my daughter played with it and don't know what program she installed it got scrambled up. I tried to unroot it using the instructions you have in the other thread and after the unroot the internal memory is not showing up. I tried using your recovery file but after that the internal memory showed up but there is no wifi. How can I fix it? I have coby1 working without problems. Is there a way I can use the recovery of coby1 and use it to coby2? If not is there another way? Thanks.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi vampirefo.,

I have 2 coby kyros MID8048-4. The coby1 is working perfectly after the root. I just followed the instructions you gave in the other thread. Now coby2 worked fine but after my daughter played with it and don't know what program she installed it got scrambled up. I tried to unroot it using the instructions you have in the other thread and after the unroot the internal memory is not showing up. I tried using your recovery file but after that the internal memory showed up but there is no wifi. How can I fix it? I have coby1 working without problems. Is there a way I can use the recovery of coby1 and use it to coby2? If not is there another way? Thanks.

If you use cw recovery and make a backup of coby1 you can use that backup on coby2. Just let cw recovery backup coby1 to micro sdcard, after backup remove micro sdcard from coby1 insert into coby2 boot into recovery and use cw recovery to restore.

rexxxiii

May 13, 2013
Hi to everyone, I have read this thread and other threads related to the 8048. I have successfully installed the cwm recovery but i made the mistake of formatting all the partitions in my tablet before installing the stock rom mentioned here. my problem now is even if i mount the partitions manually in cwm, i cannot flash the rom successfully. all i get now is the coby boot screen and nothing else. Unfortunately i haven't backed up my original rom.

Can someone please tell me or at least share a link how I can fix this?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
That's a pretty big mistake. Who told you to format anything?

In any event, without a dump it's unlikely you'll be able to do anything. If there are any 8048 dumps in the Development Index sticky post in Generation 3 Development they may be able to help you out. However I seriously doubt they will and believe you will have no choice but to exchange your tablet for a new one.

RiyoRitsu

May 31, 2013
Hi to everyone, I have read this thread and other threads related to the 8048. I have successfully installed the cwm recovery but i made the mistake of formatting all the partitions in my tablet before installing the stock rom mentioned here. my problem now is even if i mount the partitions manually in cwm, i cannot flash the rom successfully. all i get now is the coby boot screen and nothing else. Unfortunately i haven't backed up my original rom.

Can someone please tell me or at least share a link how I can fix this?

same problem with me... the only thing i can think of fixing this problem is landing to a link of cwm backup of stock for mid8048. theres a file there that the boot/system/nand img are also made by cwm. so i think that will work. if only someone could upload a file...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The problem with a nandroid backup is this: they contain personal information which is why you don't see them too often. The Coby tablets, in not having the Play Store, do not retain much personal information, which is why a nandroid of my 9742 is available. While a nandroid may help simply because you can still access recovery there are other solutions, such as creating a flashable zip of the ROM. To do that requires a system dump, and at this time there are none. There are no nandroid backups either.

One of you needs to get your tablet exchanged. Then you can help the other by making the required system dump.

darklock

Oct 30, 2012
The problem with a nandroid backup is this: they contain personal information which is why you don't see them too often. The Coby tablets, in not having the Play Store, do not retain much personal information, which is why a nandroid of my 9742 is available. While a nandroid may help simply because you can still access recovery there are other solutions, such as creating a flashable zip of the ROM. To do that requires a system dump, and at this time there are none. There are no nandroid backups either.

One of you needs to get your tablet exchanged. Then you can help the other by making the required system dump.

Hello all,
I just installed Vampirefo.'s CWM using the "8048_recovery_signed.zip" from Post #1 on a fresh out of the box 8048. Once this was done, I performed a backup using CWM using the following steps:

1) Insert an extSD card
2) Boot into CWM via Volume - and Power Button combo
3) Navigate to "backup and restore"
4) Navigate to "backup"
5) Created the backup by pushing the Power Button
6) Reboot
7) Power down
8) Copied files from extSD card to PC
9) Zipped the entire directory into a single zip file using 7zip

Is the CWM backup that I made enough to use as a disaster recovery, or do I also need to root the tablet using Vampirefo.'s "8048t1_root_gapps_signed" and use the system dump utility as described in the thread "http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/45321-read-first-development-index-root-utility.html" ?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The nandroid serves quite well as a disaster recovery image. You should have made a system dump however before you put CWM on the tablet. Regardless, I would make the system dump anyway. If there are any other users that have posted their 8048 dumps, download one of theirs, extract the recovery.img file from it, and add it to your system dump.

darklock

Oct 30, 2012
The nandroid serves quite well as a disaster recovery image. You should have made a system dump however before you put CWM on the tablet. Regardless, I would make the system dump anyway. If there are any other users that have posted their 8048 dumps, download one of theirs, extract the recovery.img file from it, and add it to your system dump.

Sorry about not taking the system dump prior to installing CWM. I thought the Root and Dump Utility would only work for AllWinner or VI Micro CPU. Since the 8048 is using a Telechips CPU, I thought I would need to peform the following steps.

1) Install CWM
2) Make a backup using CWM
3) Root the 8048 using one of Vampirefo.'s custom ROM which is already rooted.
4) Use the Root and Dump Utility but only select option "d" to make a system dump.

Will my aproach work ? I was hoping to help out those that did not take any backups from their 8048. I did not see any 8048 dumps in the "Requesting Firmware Dumps For Coby Generation 3 Devices, Part II" thread...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The system dump tool is supposed to be device agnostic, but it is possible the file system is different enough that the dump utility may not work. I don't have one of these tablets so I have no way to update the utility if it needs it.

craw405

Oct 28, 2013
I know Vampirefo is not supporting this but I was hoping someone could help. I got a MID8048 from my alarm company LifeShield as an extra console for arm/disarm the alarm. It would boot straight into the Alarm App and that was all I could use. I booted into recovery knowing a little bit about android and did a factory reset. Rebooted and now have an Android Tablet. HOwever, there were no back/home buttons. Well with nothing to lose, i followed the directions stated by Vampire at the beginning of this thread successfully. I flashed the CWM recovery, then flashed the Stock 8048 ROM successfully. Tablet boots up, I have Back/Home buttons and I'm happy. Except now the wi-fi does not work. It just hangs on the screen saying "Turning Wi-Fi on.." Is there a fix for this? I have searched these forums and also the ktz forums and googled for hours. I have come across several other people who have flashed this same rom with the same results of the wi-fi not working. I would really appreciate any support please. I am willing to flash whatever ROM will work with this tablet, I just want a working tablet. No wi-fi renders this tablet useless. I never made a backup because the ROM that it came with had no back/home button which made it useless also. Help please.