Coby Tablet Kyros MID7015 Zeroed, what do recommend first???

Edgar

May 3, 2011
Hello everybody, I'm new to the forum, and I'm getting the Coby Tablet Kyros MID7015 .... after a search in the market in tablet which could be very useful to open files. doc, adobe, in good resolution videos, games, music, and Internet applications ... not weigh heavily in the pocket and still offer wi-fi, with a reasonable processor ... I opted for Kyros MID7015 ... although until now not possible to upgrade the system it ... Android 2.1
Anyway, as the staff of the forum has a greater experience with this Tablet, the opnion of you would like to:
Which one of you guys use and recommend Honeycomp?
2 Which applications you guys recommend after testing many, to have a perfect Tablet, (either to see videos, music, programs in general, and games)?

I believe that gathering information from all active users of the forum can come together to better applications and systems in order to make the most of Kyros MID7015 Coby ...

Thanks and participate!

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Honeycomb isn't available for the Kyros. There is a Honeycomb themed ROM available but it's cosmetic. I highly recommend it-it does improve the tablet's performance. Just make sure your tablet is rooted first. As far as apps, use the search feature. That question has been asked many times and there is a wealth of info available on all the different apps available. Enjoy your Kyros!

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
Edgar, I am a newbie also. I agree wholeheartedly with Sue on Tipster's HoneyComb ROM. Although it is not HoneyComb, it is more than just cosmetic. It improves the performance on my tablet by leaps and bounds and just keeps getting better with the newer releases (applying B20 later today). If you read my thread on "What do you use your tablet for?" you can see what some of us use our tablets for and some recommendations on applications. Here is what I would recommend doing once you get your tablet:

If you don't want to apply a new ROM at this time:
1.) If you receive a Coby 7015 (with no A) then apply Coby's Update.zip to upgrade to 7015A - (instructions)
2.) Root, install ClockwordMod, and install Google Apps (instructions) NOTE: Between Steps 17 and 18 you may want to make a backup of what you have.
3.) Copy your backup (located on the SD Card under ClockworkMod) to another disk somewhere (just to be safe).
4.) If you plan on playing games, you probably want to fix the graphics issue. (instructions)
5.) If you want to make it easier to get into ClockworkMod (by just rebooting with the Silver Orb (back button) pressed, follow mpass's post here.

If you want to apply a custom ROM:
1.) If you receive a Coby 7015 (with no A) then apply Coby's Update.zip to upgrade to 7015A - (instructions)
2.) Root and install ClockwordMod (instructions) NOTE: Skip downloading Google Apps and stop at step 18.
3.) Backup your system to SD card and copy it to another disk somewhere (just to be safe).
4.) Install the custom ROM, I would recommend HoneyComb 2.1 (from Tipster). Just follow his instructions, they are pretty straightforward. Don't forget to install QuickPics when you are done (last step on his instructions) - it is really a great program!
5.) If you want to make it easier to get into ClockworkMod (by just rebooting with the Silver Orb (back button) pressed, follow mpass's post here.

If you apply HC 2.1, Tipster has included programs for Video/Music (called Meridian Player) and Photos (QuickPics). If you don't, I would recommend both for your use. If you are interested in using your Coby as an ebook reader, I like iReader (available for free from Google Apps) better than Aldiko because of the number of different formats that it accepts. As for games, there are plenty that work well once you fix the graphics issues (Step 4 without custom ROM/included in the HC ROM). I have Angry Birds Seasons, Sudoku, and Bejeweled currently installed. One other place to look for programs would be Tipster's Power Collection Package 282. I personally run ADW Launcher from this collection, but you may prefer another launcher.

As for Adobe, some have successfully installed Flash 10.1 on their Coby's, but I have not attempted it yet. I would check this link and read through the posts before attempting.

Hopefully, you will enjoy your new tab as much as I do mine!

Last edited:

Edgar

May 3, 2011
Driggs

Thank you for the tutorial, helped me and took away all the doubts I had to buy the 7015 ... and I believe this is the big question of who is buying a 7015 now!
Despite having a 7015, arrived in Brazil, 7024 via independent import .. and I am very interested in exchanging .. by the processor and system android 2.2, I realized that this much faster and has support for flash ...
Thank you all for helping the post.
Edgar

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
Driggs

Thank you for the tutorial, helped me and took away all the doubts I had to buy the 7015 ... and I believe this is the big question of who is buying a 7015 now!
Despite having a 7015, arrived in Brazil, 7024 via independent import .. and I am very interested in exchanging .. by the processor and system android 2.2, I realized that this much faster and has support for flash ...
Thank you all for helping the post.
Edgar

Depending on what you want to do with the tab. The 7024 is superior in specs, but is still locked down (ClockworkMod does not work and no one has really developed any custom ROMs for it yet). If you want to really modify the tablet, you will not be able to, however you can add the Marketplace (instructions). For me, I was considering waiting on the 7024 or 7025 (Same as 7024 w/Android 2.3), but I was impatient. I am very happy with the 7015 w/HoneyComb 2.1 ROM, but I am sure some people would prefer to have a faster tab with a newer OS. Just a matter of preference.

One other point I would like to make is that the 7024/7025's are being made by a different company than the 7014 (Coby just rebadges them). They had some initial hardware problems, but I believe from hitting the Coby Generation 2 forum that most of those have been resolved. I would recommend going to that forum and reading some of the threads, it seems the owners of the 7024 are just as happy as the 7014.

Good luck!

eruby

May 17, 2011
this is a great thread and thanks driggs for your very informative post. i still have not received my 7015 but it shows shipped now so i'm hoping i'll get it in the next few days from the credit card rewards center. i'm still a newbie to this and still have questions. i'm know there are very personal reasons why people do what they do but i'm looking for someone to tell me what to do and what not to do.

1) what is a ROM? used to mean read only memory but it appears it's a layer 7 gui? the os is android 2.1 so i'm just guessing it's a application launcher?
2) looks like i'm going to root. seems like everyone is positive about this. are there any negatives about rooting? ie. someone told me once u root, you cannot get factory upgrades.
3) what's the difference in the roms? - gingerbread, honeycomb, etc. which is recommended?
4) do i want to load android 2.3?
5) positives and negatives on tipster's hc rom. why do i want it? why would i not want it? what level do i want - full, lite, xtreme?
6) what are the best 'must have' apps and why?
7) what is tipster's power collection and pros and cons on this?
8) there is so many people out here with so many posts - what are the 1 or 2 threads i should follow? i don't seem to have the time to watch this stuff daily.

and last but not least - tipster, i know you are out there. i want to thank you for everything you are doing to promote this tablet. you are a great resource for all.
thanks in advance for all your help.

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
eruby,

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

1.) ROM's are custom modification to the default OS. They do not change the OS (so all ROMs for the Coby right now are based on Android 2.1).
2.) The only issue I have heard of with rooting is that some software in the marketplace (netflix) will not allow you to install if it is rooted. You can remove root access if you need to return the unit or if you want to install a restricted app (netflix is currently not available for the Coby)
3.) I really enjoy the HoneyComb, I cannot comment on any other ROM's as I never tried them.
4.) I will let you know my experiences in a PM once I upgrade - I have not attempted it yet.
5.) No negatives yet. It runs much faster and has more memory available than the stock OEM rom. I run the full without any issues. I like having all of the bells and whistles, if you don't want all of the eye candy, you could try one of the "faster" ones.
6.) Tipsters HoneyComb ROM comes with most of the software I use. I added ADW Launcher, Angry Birds, Tiny Player and iReader. I have a couple of new apps I will be trying out this weekend.
7.) Again no cons, download them and try some out.
8.) I think this depends on your interests. PM me on what you are wanting to do with your Tab, and I will let you know if I see something that you would be interested in....

Apr 28, 2011
eruby, driggs is right.

3)The difference between tipstir's honeycomb ROM and the gingerbread IMG is that gingerbread is a complete change in the OS. Gingerbread runs android 2.3 and was just released. Since u are new, like me,
4)I do not recommended a jump into gingerbread (2.3), because it is not yet very stable. You could do something, not realize it, and ruin ur tablet.
5)I recommended the HC (honeycomb) ROM. It is by tipstir, and i plan on flashing to it 2nite, or 2moro (depending when i have free time). I heard is is WAY faster than the stock rom.
6) It is really a personal preference. What ever u like. A few of my favorites are ADW Launcher EX(must have), Angry Birds, Facebook for Android, Quick Pics(another must have, recommended by tipstir), and many others.
7)Tipstir's collection is a 282 app package. It is worth downloading. It is free and paid apps. Some of the versions for some apps are not to-date, but it is still nice to have. To start out, u will find about every app u need in that package.
And like driggs said in his other post, if u dont want a ROM, get the graphics fix. It is easy, I did it, Im a rookie at this stuff, and it makes angry birds look good.

Apr 28, 2011
Yeah man. I just installed the HC ROM... and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! It is faster on screen unlock and overall. What mine did b4 HC, it would try to do the unlock swipe long ways, then momentarily freeze, then switch. Then, i would slide it, and it would momentarily freeze at the up point (when fully slided up). now mine slides up with no problem instantly unlocks!!!!! I am so happy! Plus the interface is way better, love the notification bar. Already installed ~10 apps on it. And the HC B20 comes with a bonus GBKB(gingerbread keyboard) way better than stock. Looks better, and runs better and faster! It may just be me, but I believe the volume is louder too! I will need to check in the updates for the ROM, and see what tipstir did with the vol. I really recommended HC!!

eruby

May 17, 2011
my 7015a came in yesterday. brought it to work to root during lunch. we don't have wifi here :((
all the root threads indicate you need wifi. downloaded the z4root.1.3.0.apk, recovery.img, and gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed to my pc. copied the z4root over but i guess you need the wifi to run appslib??
looks like i'll need to wait.

eruby

May 17, 2011
ok, ran by b&n at lunch, loaded appinstaller and i am rooted. battery was getting low so i quit at that. will finish up process and load hc this weekend.

Apr 28, 2011
Good idea to stop. You do not want it to run dead while running something important (like a ROM or clockworkmod) Just a hint: keep the device charging when installing everything else, so if the battery fails for some reason, then the process will work and not possibly ruin ur tablet when it is half way done. HC is amazing, and i hope you enjoy it as much as I do. When I switched from the stock ROM (which i had 4 2 weeks) it felt as if i just went out and bought a new tablet again. You may not feel this since u have not used the stock ROM much.
Enjoy =D