Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
[Reserved for installation instructions]

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
First time that I went from Phiremod 6.3 to Nightlies with version 129.
I cant say that I saw any special difference in behavior except the new possibilities that Nook Tweaks give, like Cpu Steppings and Voltage Settings.Also from within this app, someone can activate the USB mode for connecting external disks or usb flash drives.Using Skype with mic its possible too! :)
Other important element of the new rom is the Deep Sleep ability, which really preserves a lot of battery.

treverj

Jul 28, 2011
I am having technical difficulties with my NC since rooting and installing CyogenMod7 two weeks ago. The device will not stay on. I will plug it in to the wall (also tried computer to see the effects - though i know it won't charge through the computer) and it will boot up as normal. When it gets to the home screen it only stays on for 2 seconds before shutting down and starting the booting process all over. This cycle doesn't change as long as it's plugged in. I don't have any idea how to make changes to it because it doesn't stay on long enough for me to do anything.
Can I access the battery and attempt to reset it? Would that even help?
Can I get it back to the original version and re-do the rooting process?
Please assist....

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am having technical difficulties with my NC since rooting and installing CyogenMod7 two weeks ago. The device will not stay on. I will plug it in to the wall (also tried computer to see the effects - though i know it won't charge through the computer) and it will boot up as normal. When it gets to the home screen it only stays on for 2 seconds before shutting down and starting the booting process all over. This cycle doesn't change as long as it's plugged in. I don't have any idea how to make changes to it because it doesn't stay on long enough for me to do anything.
Can I access the battery and attempt to reset it? Would that even help?
Can I get it back to the original version and re-do the rooting process?
Please assist....

Sounds like you are stuck in a boot loop which is not all that uncommon when rooting or changing ROMs. CM7 is a great ROM. To Break the boot loop you need to create a bootable ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR) card. Instructions are here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...msd-v3-0-1-0-higher-ext3-ext4-compatible.html

Once you have created the card you will need to put a couple fo files on it. If you have a newer Nook (came with B&N 1.2 on it) then you will need to create the proper partitions by following this thread [HOW-TO] Repartitioning the NC back to 1GB/data, 5GB/media - xda-developers. Use option A.

Then you will want to add the CM7 ROM and Gapps files to the card from here Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki

Once you have the card with all the files hold the power button until the Nook shuts down. Insert the card and power on. You should now boot into CWR. Repartition the drive, then flash CM7 then flash Gapps. Remember to wipe the cache partition and Dalvik Cache. Unmount the SD card and then remove it. Then select reboot and you should boot into CM7.

JP

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
I don't know if this is the same thing that happened to me that happened to Treverj, but I flashed the internal memory to CM7 Nightly over the weekend and everything seems good except I locked the screen and when I came back I could not wake it up or get it to do anything at all, so I plugged it into the charger and it booted back up. Since then it hasn't done it again. JP, do you think I would be better off using a different version of CM7 or should I stay with the nightly build? I downloaded the stable image also but chose the nightly to install. BTW, this is the guide I went by:

Nook Color: How to install Cyanogenmod Nightlies | Maurice Mongeon

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
caulktel, I think it really just depends on what you want to do. Here are a few options.

Make a good stable backup first before doing anything else ;)

1. Run CM7 stable from an SD card and the nightlies on internal memory. If you find you have a problem with a particular nightly you can always pop in the SD card and go about your business until you can roll your nightly back or otherwise fix it up. You can also do this the other way round with stable on internal memory but I think it is a slightly more bothersome to update nightlies on a bootable SD.

2. Run nightlies and accept that they may have some problems. Make sure you always take a backup before updating so you can flash back to the last setup you were happy with.

3. Run stable and wait for the goodies that nightlies have (like USB hosting) to make their way into the next stable. You miss out on the latest changes but you also avoid the potential headaches. You don't necissarily have to wait until they make a stable release but you might want to wait for a few reviews to pop up and see if others are having issues before grabbing any particular nightly.

:D

JP

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
Thanks for the advise JP. Do you check for updates in CWR or does it notify you some other way? Excuse me, Rom Manger.

Last edited:

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Nightlies are almost updating every day so you don't need Rom Manager to notify you about that.
If you care for stable version then you can wait from Rom Manager to notify you, if you have previous similar version installed.

Sent from Nook Color on Cm7 Nightly 129 @1.300Mhz

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
So I upgraded to build 155 tonite and lost the market, nowhere to be found. Any ideas?

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
Well, dropped back to build 153 and all is well again. I guess that's the price you pay for living on the cutting edge. I am impressed with how you can hop around from rom to rom. I'm learning.

I noticed that after returning to 153 that my market looks completely different. It used to be mostly green looking, now it has like little square blocks containing info and apps etc. I'm thinking that this is a new version of the market, but don't understand why it shows that way now after reverting to backed up Rom.

Last edited:

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
So I upgraded to build 155 tonite and lost the market, nowhere to be found. Any ideas?

Market can be installed as a standalone app, no matter the nightly.
If you prefer old market and have the new one installed, you can go to Applications and remove the update.

Sent from Nook Color on Cm7 Nightly 129 @1.300Mhz

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
Need help with deep sleep state.

My nook color is setup as a dual boot. I use the latest B&N version and CM7 7.0.2. I installed cpu spy and it tells me that my CM7 Nook has never gone into deep sleep. Does the latest stable version of CM7 7.0.3 go into deep sleep? If not which nightly would you suggest.

Thank you.