Haipad websites being updated?

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Went to check the downloads page on the Haipad web sites (www.szhaipad.com and www.haipad.net) and both sites are screwed up with asp and template errors. Curiously some of the pages are endlessly inserting an animated gif that says "New!" so I'm guessing they're updating/redesigning the site because something new is coming out.

Could it be a new tablet? Could it be the official Froyo release rumored to drop this month?

If you've got a Haipad tablet you might want to keep an eye on it and see what, if anything, materializes. I know I will!

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Well both sites are back up. No new products or firmware releases :(

The only thing that seems to have changes is on the Chinese version of the sites there is now a message thanking customers for supporting them by buying their products, and that they started the Haipad brand and have been adding features to differentiate their products from competitors. It also has a warning about fake Haipad products being sold at much lower prices, and that they have NOT released an Android 2.2 firmware so any supposed Haipad you see saying it runs 2.2 is a fraud and they'd like you to tell them who is selling fakes and get the word out to everyone else.

At least that's what I got out of the Google Translate version of the home page (not exactly, I'm paraphrasing).

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
It'd be nice if they would jump on the stick about getting froyo out...then again, I'd rather them not have a half finished version that's buggy...I've noticed some software inconsistencies on these, but none that are deal breakers for Android-savvy people...like launcher fc's, memory not being displayed accurately, etc etc....not sure really how this is a bona-fide "haipad" product when places like Merimobiles.com have it listed as the APAD, Moonse E7002, Haipad M701-R, etc...they're all pretty generic.......

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I agree they seem pretty interchangeable and generic. About all I've seen different is a change in stickers on the box and the back of the tablet, a different name on the user manual, and maybe they have a different/customized/hacked firmware on them. It would be helpful if they told us how to identify a "real" Haipad from a "fake."

skycop51

Sep 9, 2010
does not seem to work, I have tried several times and it just is like its not there.

I agree they seem pretty interchangeable and generic. About all I've seen different is a change in stickers on the box and the back of the tablet, a different name on the user manual, and maybe they have a different/customized/hacked firmware on them. It would be helpful if they told us how to identify a "real" Haipad from a "fake."

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
Nothing interesting to look at...it's up today...obviously they had problems yesterday with their web server, but it's back up now...nothing new posted as of 10am CST.

My only real beef with this being, to them, a branded, high quality device (don't misunderstand me, I'm very impressed with the quality, but it's no Samsung or Archos either) is the only "advertising" they did about the device itself designating it as a "Haipad" was on the instruction manual and the boot screen...the label on the back just specifies "M701-R"...seems like if they were really that proud of what they came up with they would put more "You should buy our stuff" paraphernalia on it, like accessories, etc etc

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
i would guess we are witnessing the world of the ODM (original device manufacturers) they have them for the pc industry and so why not for the android tablets - basically you have on or two manufacturers that build them and sell them to be re branded by other outfits - these outfits can specify specific feature differentiation (to a point) or even quality control thresholds - so that's likely why they look so similar

Nothing interesting to look at...it's up today...obviously they had problems yesterday with their web server, but it's back up now...nothing new posted as of 10am CST.

My only real beef with this being, to them, a branded, high quality device (don't misunderstand me, I'm very impressed with the quality, but it's no Samsung or Archos either) is the only "advertising" they did about the device itself designating it as a "Haipad" was on the instruction manual and the boot screen...the label on the back just specifies "M701-R"...seems like if they were really that proud of what they came up with they would put more "You should buy our stuff" paraphernalia on it, like accessories, etc etc

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
True...kinda like HP used to use nothing but Intel/Asus components but everything was branded HP, and though there was a similar board directly from Asus, if you swapped it out you voided your warranty because it didn't make HP's expectation on tolerances, system life, etc...BUT....that typically only applies to what's under the hood, in this case, Telechips being Asus by analogy, and Haipad being HP, but the difference is, HP didn't sell their case design and allow mimicry at all...I suspect some third party company developed the case itself and marketed it to different manufacturers of tablets who were already working on the inner workings and their own ROM's and because the formfactor worked well, they all bit at the chance...still though, that goes back to the whole "making it your own" aspect...they might be "similar" case designs to HP, but you can distinctly tell the difference...I think with all devices turned off (so you can't see the chinese girl in the snow looking up to the Haipad logo), and all labels removed, it may be impossible to tell the difference...I may be wrong though, I've only seen the devices on the web, and only the M701-R first hand

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010

Well, their server never actually went down - their site was just screwed up, most likely because whomever was updating it edited the live site (instead of doing it on a staging server first) and broke the backend code.

I agree with you that if they want more presence for the Haipad they need to build the brand. The sticker on the back of my tablet does actually say "Haipad M701-R" above the barcode/serial number, but they should really be molding the brand name into the back fo the tablet so it can't be so easily rebranded and probably in chrome lettering on the front bezel under the touch surface (they managed to put the brand name on the remote control, why not the tablet itself?). Even the Augen Gentouch came with a case that had their brand name embossed in the leather. It's little wonder other companies have totally copied the product box - the "brand" isn't printed on the box, it's on a sticker (and while we're at it, the box is blatantly trying to look like Apple's packaging - it's hard to build your own brand when you're ripping off the look of another brand. That wouldn't fly in the US because it would invite a trademark and/or copyright lawsuit - I'm guessing the rules are very different in China).

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
And, while we're at it, not JUST the box rips off Apple (really there's too many features listed on the box to be an Apple ripoff -- they usually go with the "it speaks for itself" artist mentality), the whole persona except the actual size of the tablet rips off Apple (again, not complaining, but why would you complain about others ripping you off, when in all actuality, you have no creativity yourself?)...If they'd taken off the feature advertisements, included a white USB brick and white USB cable to go with the buds and the other USB cables, it'd be TOTAL wannabe Apple gone Android.

todoteck

May 6, 2010
the only change that i know of on the M701-R is that they fixed the micro sd card slot issue.
now you should be able to insert the micro sd card all the way instead of sticking out like before.
as soon as i receive the sample i will post a video.

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
lol would've been a nice change for them to add before my girlfriend ordered mine for my birthday :X

RosaSmile

Oct 16, 2012
I cannot install Facebook, Google Maps and some other basic apps, I get the message that "this app is not compatible with you device" on Play store. and I cannot even open the Facebook website with a browser (I tried the native one and also Dolphin HD and Opera Mini). and one more thing the internet connection with WiFi is so slow, when I use other android devices and PCs on the same network, I dont experience the same problem.