Help for a huge Newbie!!!!!! Can't Establish a Realiable Data Connection

shebuilt

Jan 20, 2011
Purchased my Nook Color and performed hard reset. Still can't get it to run through the setup. Wireless is connected just fine.

Please someone help. Thanks .

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
We need more info please. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What is the status of your NC? Software 1.0.1, 1.1.0? How did you perform a hard reset? Did you rest in an attempt to fix your connection problem or did something else go wrong?

shebuilt

Jan 20, 2011
Thanks for reaching out rico. Basically I am going through extras and trying to access market place. It says to sign up / or sign in. I try to sign in and it gives that message. I have performed one hard reset but can't seem to do it again. I did the one through the nook and it says I am not registered.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Still a bit lost here.

-You are on software version 1.0.1
-Your NC is registered with b&n
-You are rooted using the autonooter
-You are not using any launcher
-You are connected to a internet connection using your wifi
-So I assume your browser is working
-You are trying to open the android market app
or
-You are trying to open the b&n shop
-One of them is asking you to sign in

What are we missing here?

Last edited:

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
I'm with rico here - not sure where you are - why did you have to do a hard reset? Did you enter your google account info? is that when it failed to find a connection? you did not say whether you rooted it or not, sounds like you were going through the market in he EXTRAS but is this the B&N market as opposed to the Android market?

what do you mean by hard reset?

shebuilt

Jan 20, 2011
I wanted to update. I did the 8 step and it re flashed. All went well with following the rules for rooting with SD and it seems fine. To clear up some things, it was purchased supposedly rooted, but everytime I went to access the market icon it wanted me to log in via google. I could not - it would give the above message. Don't know why, but it is cleared up now. On to my next step...figuring out the SDK thing!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Sounds to me like someone rooted it, sold it but didn't provide the correct sign in...don't you have to use the same gmail account that you registered with for the rooting? Is the 8 step the 8 failed boots to reset from stock rom?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
First thing is make sure u have a Google email account. Then make sure your device is factory reset (erased and de registered). Then root the device. Then follow steps at nookdevs for signing in with your Google email.

Why do you need the sdk? You are not using adb for anything right?

Sent from my Droid

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Alright, well.... since it's second hand and you can't be sure what that person did to the NC before you got it, I'd take it back to zero and start all over. Reformat 1.0.0 then wipe data, to make sure anything and everything from the previous owner is gone.

Do:
-8 interrupts starts to re-image the NC
-then hard key factory reset (the more important part)

Follow tutorial and you must do both steps or you will get nowhere.
Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs

After you are done, you should have a fresh NC, like it just came out the box. Then you can register the device to your own b&n account. After that, all of us here will help you to root the device and anything else you want to do with your NC.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I believe I know what Shebuilt was talking about now, she just didn't describe it properly. I'm in the process of re-doing my NC starting from scratch 1.0.0. Before rooting, I've updated to 1.0.1 and now I'm using auto-nooter-2.12.25.img for the first time (yes, this is my first time since I always use nooter02 to root). Upon rooting, the initial setup ask you to setup or sign in to your gmail account. For some reason when you enter your name and password, and hit next it fails to sign in and takes you back to sing in screen. I tried multiple times and even changed my password for my account with no luck. How I fixed is just skip the section, reboot, once rebooted you will get a notice that gmail failed to log in. Hit the notice and it will ask you to re-enter your password. Enter the pass and hit done, mind you, your password will work with flying colors and you are good to go. I believe the initial setup has a small glitch for some like shebuilt and myself.

This auto-nooter isn't half bad. :)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Actually Rico, here is what was missed..."Step 8. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In." and "Step 14. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)"

(Taken from XDA instruction page for auto-nooter HERE

I guess making the assumption that each step was understood and followed is where we failed to catch the issue earlier.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Actually Rico, here is what was missed..."Step 8. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In." and "Step 14. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)"

(Taken from XDA instruction page for auto-nooter HERE

I guess making the assumption that each step was understood and followed is where we failed to catch the issue earlier.

Well not that we really missed it, but none of us could tell if she was talking about gmail signin or something on the market. Good conformation on the issue though.

rsmiller83

Jan 31, 2011
I was just wondering what you did to clear up the issue because I'm having the exact same problem. I'm on 1.0.0 and I every time I try to sign into my Google account it gives me that message. I haven't been able to find anybody with instructions on how to deal with this problem. I'd like to know how you fixed it.