Help!!! I think I have bricked my NookColor

rodalcaraz827

Feb 2, 2011
I recently tried the Flashable Froyo ROM for the Nook Color from modembug on XDA. Now I don't have Clockwork Recovery and need help getting it back. Instead of any boot animation, I just get a "loading..." and then an "ANDROID_" and it doesn't come up at all. The only way to turn it off at this point is to press both and hold both power and n buttons. I am new to the Nook Color, but I am pretty experienced with my Moto Droid. Can anybody please help me, even if I need to restore my Nook to factory settings. I really don't think the 8 boot method is working at all.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I wouldn't load any froyo ROM internally at this point...they just aren't ready for primetime. Stick with a rooted version of the B&N build for right now...let the developers get their kinks ironed out.

rodalcaraz827

Feb 2, 2011
If I can get it running again, I'm sure I won't be flashing anything to internal memory again. I still can't seem to get it working. It won't even boot the sd card image.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
If I can get it running again, I'm sure I won't be flashing anything to internal memory again. I still can't seem to get it working. It won't even boot the sd card image.

You need to go into nook settings and erase and deregister device and start over. Do not use froyo.

Factory restore> register device with b&n again>sideload update> root using autonooter from nookdevs then go from there. You can't load any roms or kernels without clockwork recovery.

Let us know if u need help.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
He is stuck in some boot loop Steve...he can't get into froyo now.

It is weird that it won't boot from the SD card though.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
If u cannot boot up u may have to do 8 interups method first.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
He is stuck in some boot loop Steve...he can't get into froyo now.

It is weird that it won't boot from the SD card though.

Sorry just saw your post above. He might have to do 8 interrupts first. Idk why it won't boot off sdcard either. Hmm.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Sorry just saw your post above. He might have to do 8 interrupts first. Idk why it won't boot off sdcard either. Hmm.

Its quite all right. This is the reason why I don't live out in the front of the pack...I would rather something stable come along first.

Playing with HC on an SD card is fun, but I know running HC internally on the nook is quite a ways off.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Its quite all right. This is the reason why I don't live out in the front of the pack...I would rather something stable come along first.

Playing with HC on an SD card is fun, but I know running HC internally on the nook is quite a ways off.

Yes I usually wait for something stable too. No froyo for me yet : ) Things will be much better when/if we get flashable clockwork recovery roms like cm7.

Rodalcara. Try the xda link or this link below and let us know if u have questions.

http://nookdevs.com/Flash_back_to_clean_stock_ROM

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@rodalcaraz827
Don't worry, its hard to brick a NC and if you can boot, you can fix.

Lets get a base of what you can and can't do:
-You flashed 2.2 from CWR?
-Is you SD card still installed? If so take it out.
-How do you know you don't have CWR? Did you uninstall it?
-What happens when you hold the power button for 5 to 8 seconds?
-Did you try the 8 boot interrupts?

If its all hose there is a way back but from my experience, you can usually get back into CWR.

Follow this tutorial: [ADV][DEV][STOCK IMAGE]Nook 1.01 stock dd images - xda-developers

vigeh @ xda

First you need to unzip those files you just downloaded. Second, you need to copy the "boot.img" and "system.img" (not the *.zip) to the "/SDCARD" folder on your SDCARD. I had to use WIFI FILE Explorer in Nookie Froyo cuz I messed up my nook so bad, i couldn't copy these files by turning on the USB Storage through the regular method. It took me days to figure this out cuz i'm kinda slow.

I hope you installed the Android-SDK on your computer already. If so, then go to the folder named "\platform-tools" on your PC - this is where ADB.EXE is located. Connect your nook and type "ADB DEVICES" just to make sure your nook is connected to the computer. It'll show up and tell you it is or not. If it is connected then do the following:

1. Type "ADB SHELL" then you'll see a "#" symbol after you hit enter.
2. Type "dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1" just the way it is written by the original poster (minus the "" marks)

at this point, it usually wont say anything. Just wait a few minutes and something will pop up. In my case, it says:

"477033984 bytes <454.9MB> copied, 138.757660 seconds, 3.3MB/s"
"#"

3. Type the second command next to the "#" sign "dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5"

wait another few minutes til the next confirmation pops up.

4. turn off nook, remove SD card
5. Hold the N button and the Power button at the same time and it'll ask you to reset the nook to factory settings.

I hope this helps you ....

rodalcaraz827

Feb 2, 2011
Thanks for all this info guys, I have Froyo running again, I have SD card inserted. But It has a notification of "Damaged SD card" There are no google apps, or I would just download Rom Manager from Market and download CWR through it. I tried dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 but it says "dd: can't open '/sdcard/boot.img': No such file or directory"