Hi!

Feb 2, 2011
Hey guys.

Moe here. Living it 'down' in the MENA region. I am a technophile; without the resources available to indulge in my hobby. So I hang out in forums like this to get my fix. :cool:

But enough is enough. I finally decided to jump into the Android bandwagon by buying an Android tablet. Si I am 'researching' for one that is affordable while giving a decent first time Android experience for a noob like me. :eek:

The worst thing about living in the Middle East is that we are generally the last ones to get all the cool stuff. And that too at inflated prices. And besides that data charges by our Telecom providers are beyond ridiculous! That's why so major players in the tech industries do not bother releasing their products here; because they know not many people have data plans and there is not much demand for their product. I want to say most of us here in the Middle East are pragmatic and practical people, but the truth is many of us are just too cheap! :p

Right now, I got my eyes on the Huawei Ideos S7 and the Creative Ziio. I think I could be happy with either product. The biggest obstacle is their availability in the market and their price.

I managed to source the Creative Ziio - it'll cost me a whooping $329 (in my local currency) for the 7" 8GB model. Can you believe it!!! :mad:

I don't yet know where to find the Huawei Tablet; and I am reluctant to go to the "grey" market as they do not offer warranty, refund and in most cases exchange! :confused:

So, here I am starting my great Tablet search; and hopefully it'll have an happy ending.

Cheers!!! ;)

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Welcome and let us know what you go with. as you are looking around keep in mind the Telstra T-Tab from Australia is the S7 if you can source one of those. Also, I know that they are available in SA, I don't know how far "down" you are, and I know that is not close...but same continent at least...

cheers and good luck!
p

androok

Feb 2, 2011
I am also in the dilemma of choosing a roid tablet. I am not what I would call a tech wizard but I love technology and am in learning mode as far as Android pads are concerned.

I went from an I-Phone to a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate phone and love it.

I was looking at the Elocity A7, mainly because I can buy it through a reputable retailer (Tiger Direct) in case I have problems with it and it seems to have good spec's. I am saying this as a pure rookie in this area and was hoping to get some feedback from others on this tablet.

Thanks

Feb 2, 2011
Welcome and let us know what you go with. as you are looking around keep in mind the Telstra T-Tab from Australia is the S7 if you can source one of those. Also, I know that they are available in SA, I don't know how far "down" you are, and I know that is not close...but same continent at least...

cheers and good luck!
p

Hi pbrauer.

Thanks for the welcome! I live in Dubai. Unfortunately, the retailers, the big ones who actually bother to provide warranty and after sales services, do not always carry all the latest, or the "best bang for buck" models. Right now all that is available, as far as i know, is the Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab - (both of whom are too expensive for my taste). Recently the Creative Ziio became available. This is what I am eyeing right now.

The Dell Inspiron Duo (being marketed as the Dell Sparta) is also avaliable here. It's being sold for approximately USD $660 - with a USD $60 shopping voucher free with the purchase. Thats the price of a solid mid-ranged laptop with most of your generic features! I played around with it some; and he touchscreen was pretty responsive. Though with such a small screen, hittinh the (small) buttons were bit of a hit and miss. No doubt, with time and practice, this won't be an issue.

Unfortunately, the Creative Ziio was inside a glass case. There was no display model to fiddle with. :(

The Huawei S7 sounds pretty good; and most of the S7 owner in this forum are very pleased with their product. But I am not sure if it'll ever be released here in Dubai. I think I'll hit up the Creative section of the forum and ask for some feedback on the Ziio.

If I do end up buying the Ziio, I'll post it here. :)

Thanks once again for the warm welcome.