How to Downgrade you Archos Gen 8 Device (28, 32, 43, 70, 101) from 2.0.71 to 2.0.54

apr2499

Dec 7, 2010
I finally did what Archos support said couldn’t be done. I was able to downgrade my firmware from the extremely buggy (and non-rootable) 2.0.71 firmware, to the 2.0.54 rootable firmware.

Warning: This process involves downloading and installing the Archos SDE firmware. This WILL void your warranty. Proceed at your own risk!

This process was done using a Windows 7 machine (and the Archos tablet, of course).

Phase 1 – Removing the 2.0.71 firmware and replacing it with the Angstrom OS

1. If you do not have your Archos plugged into the AC Adapter, plug it in now.

2. Download the SDE Developer Edition firmware here:
http://www.archos.com/support/download/firm_dev/firmware_archos_android_gen8.aos

3. Power off your Archos (if powered on). Then boot your Archos in Recovery mode by holding the Volume – button and pressing the power button. Release the power button, but keep the Volume – button held down. It will boot into recovery mode.

Recovery Mode navigation works as follows:
Volume + moves up
Volume – moves down
Pressing Power is Enter

4. Press Volume – to Format System and Press Power.

5. Press Volume – to Reformat Device and Press Power.

Warning: Make sure you have backed up any critical data on your Archos tablet prior to proceeding any further. If you have not backed up your data, select No and press Power, and No on the previous menu. At that point it will reboot the device and you can back up your data.

6. Press Volume – to I understand and press Power. It will then reformat the partitions.

7. When the USB Connection menu appears, plug in the Micro USB cable into your computer and into the Archos tablet. Windows (or your mac, I suppose) will recognize the tablet as a drive letter in My Computer (Mine was A101IT (I). Copy the SDE firmware file firmware_archos_android_gen8.aos to the tablet (e.g. drive I: on my computer). Copy to the root directory ( /) folder on the tablet.

8. Once the copy is done, press Power on the Archos Tablet (and remove the Micro USB Cable)

9. It will install the SDE firmware, then reboot.

10. It will boot into the AngStrom OS. At first this OS looks intimidating, but it is quite harmless.

11. It will come up with a new user details screen. Type in a user name, a password, and confirm the password. Then press OK. It will then log in and take you to the desktop.

12. Press the ^ key in the lower left hand side of the screen, and press Turn off. You may have to press a few times to get it to respond as the touch responsiveness was NOT very good for me.

13. Press Yes to log off. It will then power down

Phase 2 – Installing the 2.0.54 firmware onto your tablet.

1. If you do not have your Archos plugged into the AC Adapter, plug it in now.

2. On your pc, download the Archos 2.0.54 firmware from here:
http://www.arctablet.com/assets/archos-firmware/gen8_2.0.54-firmware_archos_android_gen8.aos

3. Rename the file firmware_archos_android_gen8.aos. (If you downloaded the file in the same place you downloaded the SDE firmware file, just overwrite it.)

4. Then boot your Archos in Recovery mode by holding the Volume – button and pressing the power button. Release the power button, but keep the Volume – button held down. It will boot into recovery mode.

Recovery Mode navigation works as follows:
Volume + moves up
Volume – moves down
Pressing Power is Enter

5. Press Volume – to Format System and Press Power.

6. Press Volume – to Reformat Device and Press Power.

7. Press Volume – to I understand and press Power. It will then reformat the partitions.

8. When the USB Connection menu appears, plug in the Micro USB cable into your computer and into the Archos tablet. Windows (or your mac, I suppose) will recognize the tablet as a drive letter in My Computer (Mine was A101IT (I) Copy the 2.0.54 firmware file firmware_archos_android_gen8.aos to the tablet (e.g. drive I: on my computer). Copy to the root directory ( /) folder on the tablet.

9. Once the copy is done, press Power on the Archos Tablet (and remove the Micro USB Cable)

10. It will install the 2.0.54 firmware, then reboot.

11. Congratulations, you now have the 2.0.54 firmware installed.

Enjoy,

Jason Andreas

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Great tutorial thanks for sharing

Sent from my incredible using Android Talert Forum

khunlingnoi

Jan 11, 2011
The shorter procedure doesn't work.
But the one in this thread is working quite well. Just tried it and I'm very happy. 2.0.71 caused so many problem, the 2.0.54 is maybe a little bit slower (didn't setup z4root+setcpu yet however) but much more stable to me.
Will definitely not upgrade again unless it's really necessary and tested by many people.

Thanks for the upgrade tips!

firefox111

Dec 3, 2010
The shorter procedure doesn't work.
But the one in this thread is working quite well. Just tried it and I'm very happy. 2.0.71 caused so many problem, the 2.0.54 is maybe a little bit slower (didn't setup z4root+setcpu yet however) but much more stable to me.
Will definitely not upgrade again unless it's really necessary and tested by many people.

Thanks for the upgrade tips!

Thank you. I will try the above procedure.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Just remember, by installing the SDE, you void the warranty. That may not be an issue if where you got it provides its own warranty. This is true for many vendors so check.
Where it becomes a pain is if the Tablet goes south in a few months. And you are forced to return it.

justinepeter

Feb 28, 2011
Here are the steps to do-
1. First you have to download the old 2.0.54 firmware.http://www.arctablet.com/assets/archos-firmware/gen8_2.0.54-firmware_archos_android_gen8.aos
2. Download it from source site.
3. Once you have downloaded the old firmware, keep it on your desktop.
4.Now connect your Archos 70 to your computer via USB and then back up the contents of the tablet on a folder on your desktop.
5. Now turn off your Archos 70 tablet (power off) until it has completely shut down and then power it on again holding the power button AND volume down button to get into recovery mode.
6. Once you are in recovery mode, go down by pressing the volume down button to “update firmware” and press the power button to select “update firmware”. It will check system partitions etc and then you have to connect your USB to the computer once again and now locate the old 2.0.54 firmware you downloaded before and drag it from your desktop to the Archos 70 root, not in any folder JUST IN THE TABLETS ROOT.
7. Once you have done this and the firmware is on your tablets root, press the power button on your tablet to confirm update (“ok”), p.s make sure your tablet is connected to the mains (plugged in on charge).
8. Finally the downgrade process begins and the tablet should reboot with all your apps, settings, media files, etc. untouched but the firmware will now be “Froyo 2.2.1….2.0.54″

jgarbarg

Sep 15, 2011
I try this tutorial and i started by "reformat device..." in the recovery menu. But when I want to connect my archos to the computer, it say that the disc is not formated!! How can i do?? Thank you so much!! And i apologise for my bad english i'm french!

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Jason, thank you for the very detailed and well done tutorial.

We have an Archos 101 i nthe house, it's running a bit wacko, so I would be insterested in trying this downgrade. Problem - while I could get the SDE firmware file with no problem, the Second firmware linked above ('the Archos 2.0.54 firmware') is no longer working :

"The requested URL /assets/archos-firmware/gen8_2.0.54-firmware_archos_android_gen8.aos was not found on this server."

Any copy of it available elsewhere?

Thank you for sharing this info. ;)

EDIT : Found the missing file (and other firmware versions, tools and directions in the XDA Developers thread for rooting Archos gen 8)

Last edited:

jeanuhlik

Apr 5, 2013
quote "7. When the USB Connection menu appears, plug in the Micro USB cable into your computer and into the Archos tablet. Windows (or your mac, I suppose) will recognize the tablet as a drive letter in My Computer (Mine was A101IT (I). Copy the SDE firmware file firmware_archos_android_gen8.aos to the tablet (e.g. drive I: on my computer). Copy to the root directory ( /) folder on the tablet."

I have tried this so many times I can do it in my sleep, but always with the same outcome...update failed(1). I cannot locate the root directory when I hook the tablet to my Windows 8 machine. Would it make a difference if I used a Windows 7 machine??? I have one of those too. I can't even get the sde anymore, though I was able to get it and it's sweet little desktop a couple of days ago, but it has since gone bye-bye. It does not format back to the original aos when I re-format the drive.