(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
ditto! - running at 1.1GHz, smooth
some anomalies - i had pulse newsreader, pre 1.1GHz, pulse would display 7 vertical news tiles on the opening page, after 1.1 only 4 can fit vertically (yes i can always scroll down) - but this is not such a bad thing as they are easier to read this way - but strange that the size changed

Try uninstall, re-install.

Glad the tutorial helped.

josue9

Dec 29, 2010
Thanks for this wonderful tutorial! with this I was able to install CWR and the new screamer kernel on my 2 NC and by the way it seems that this solved the issue of no sound after sleep of my wife's NC (I'll continue testing). Thanks again!

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
by the way thanks to rico, matt and all you other nookaholics, i bought second my NC and walked through the process to get it rooted, OC'd and updated to 1.1 - my process in case it is helpful to others (note i updated the BN software first to 1.0.1 NOT the latest 1.1.0

1) power on NC, go through the normal process to register, add gmail account etc..
2) update to BN 1.0.1 - this is not displayed in the barnes and noble software page as they are only showing ver 1.1 now but here's a direct link to it http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pre...oad_update.zip

---to install this update --- here's BN's instructions
a. From your computer, click here for the software update file. Select Save and select Desktop as the location. Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way. Do NOT open the *.ZIP file.
b. Tap Settings on your NOOKcolor's Quick Nav Bar, then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOKcolor battery charge is at 20% or more.
c. Connect your NOOKcolor to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOKcolor. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOKcolor drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a "USB Mode" message on your NOOKcolor screen.
d. From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded *.ZIP file onto the main directory of the NOOKcolor drive. Do NOT unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOKcolor drive or add the file to any other existing folder.
e. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOKcolor drive after the file transfer is complete.
f. Your NOOKcolor will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes or when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.
g. Please do not turn off your NOOKcolor during the installation process.
h. Once the installation is completed, your NOOKcolor will automatically restart and go to the Home screen.
i. On the bottom left status bar a green "n" will appear. Tap on it; the software has been successfully updated.

NOOKcolor must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software is installed, NOOKcolor will reboot itself back to the Home screen. To verify you have the latest update, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOKcolor and check to see that your software version is 1.0.1

3) once updated, root using the procedure outlined here: Auto-Nooter 2.12.25 (1.0.1 Only) - xda-developers
4) tested it, made sure things look good - from market downloaded ES File Manager, then Awesome Drop and used awesome drop to import a bunch of apk files - ROM Manager, Google Voice (older version 0.3.2 which supports SMS), SetCPU
5) Applied the Pre Rooted version 1.1 update as described here - [ROM] Nook Color V1.1.0 Pre-Rooted - xda-developers so now my NC is updated to BN's latest software ver 1.1.0
6) Next i installed clockwork recovery and then the screamer OC as described here - (How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels
7) next i run SetCPU to set my overclock to 1.1GHz,
8) Fine tune SetCPU to optimize battery life - SetCPU settings for the NOOKcolor

now i have an updated, rooted, stable and kick ass NC

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update to OP:
-Replaced Quickie Screamer kernels with newer more stable kernels 900-1.1Ghz.

Joe Schmoo

Jan 9, 2011
Great article. Total noob here, but this got me to 1.1 Ghz relatively painlessly. One suggestion -- after flashing the new kernel your guide says to open SetCPU. I spend a few minutes looking for that on my Nook. A bit of searching later I realized that that's an additional Market app I needed to install. Might want to mention that...

josue9

Dec 29, 2010
Update to OP:
-Replaced Quickie Screamer kernels with newer more stable kernels 900-1.1Ghz.

Hi Rico, where did you posted the new kernels? I'm trying to get the 1.1GHz. also a doubt, there is more power consumption with this one? I installed the 950MHz, and yesterday I was playing angry birds and noticed that this game consumes the battery really fast!! not sure if it is an anomaly or if there is some problem with the screamer kernel.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
READ WHOLE POST BEFORE PROCEEDING! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Flashing a new kernel using ClockworkMod Recovery
-Download stock and custom kernels zip files:
kernel-1000mhz-omap3630
kernel-1100mhz-omap3630
kernel-1ghz.zip
kernel-950mhz.zip
kernel-stock.zip stock 1.0.1
-Copy all (4) zip files to the root directory of your sd card.
-Open your favorite file browser and make sure all (4) files are on root sd card.

Hi Rico, where did you posted the new kernels? I'm trying to get the 1.1GHz. also a doubt, there is more power consumption with this one? I installed the 950MHz, and yesterday I was playing angry birds and noticed that this game consumes the battery really fast!! not sure if it is an anomaly or if there is some problem with the screamer kernel.

He posted the new kernels in the second post of this thread...I quoted part of it for you.

As for battery consumption, I am running the 1.1Ghz kernel and following Rico's settings for SetCPU and found that power consumption is really good...really on par or maybe even a little bit better than pre-kernel usage

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
He posted the new kernels in the second post of this thread...I quoted part of it for you.

As for battery consumption, I am running the 1.1Ghz kernel and following Rico's settings for SetCPU and found that power consumption is really good...really on par or maybe even a little bit better than pre-kernel usage

As darmeen said, there is so much power savings when you use setCPU app and profiles that you will still have much better battery life with the new 1Ghz or 1.1Ghz kernels than you had with the stock 800mhz kernel alone.

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
PLEASE HELP!!!! I finally bought a nook color for the sole purpose of rooting it. I sideload to 1.1.1, write the image of autonooter to my sd card using win32diskimage (cant use winimage for some reason), shut off the nook, put in card, plug into compluter, then it hangs at the "N" symbol forever and never gets past it!!!! Please help me.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
PLEASE HELP!!!! I finally bought a nook color for the sole purpose of rooting it. I sideload to 1.1.1, write the image of autonooter to my sd card using win32diskimage (cant use winimage for some reason), shut off the nook, put in card, plug into compluter, then it hangs at the "N" symbol forever and never gets past it!!!! Please help me.

Hold down the Power button until it shuts off (like 20 seconds), reboot and see if it goes through or if you have a real hang...

If it doesn't boot properly, follow the instructions HERE to reset back to factory specs.

Instead of sideloading 1.1, try just sideloading 1.0.1 then do the auto-noot and see if that works.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

You are all over the place and doing a lot of things wrong right off the bat. I suggest you back up and punt, read some info before starting to root.

-Take out the sd card
-Plug your NC up to your pc and delete that sideloaded 1.1 zip
-Unplug and root your NC if possible (if not do reset procedure: Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs)
-Once back booted, register your NC
-Go to device info and identify which software version you are on
-Verify you wrote the proper auto-nooter version to go with the NC software you have
-Root NC: Turn off the NC, insert the sd card, plug up to pc
-Wait a few min. untill NC boots to normal home screen
-Unplug usb cable, complete startup information on your NC

Now you can sideload 1.0.1
or
if you want to go to 1.1 rooted
-install rom manager from market
-reboot
-open rom manager, install clockworkmod recovery
-reboot into cwr
-do a full backup
-reboot
-plug up to pc
-sideload NookColor_v1.1.0_r2 rom sip file to your sd card, root directory
-open rom manager
-reboot to cwr
-install zip from sd
-pick NookColor_v1.1.0_r2.zip
-reboot system

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011

Let us know how you make out. There is no auto nooter for 1.1 yet. Just 1.0.1 and 1.0

Sent from my Droid

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Thank you. U were right and things seem to be going smooth now. I look forward to customizing this. In the next couple of days i hope to over clock. Hopefully u guys can help me. Thanks again!!!!

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Now that i am rooted am i going to receive a mandatory over the air update that is going to force 1.1.0? Will that unroot me?