(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Now that i am rooted am i going to receive a mandatory over the air update that is going to force 1.1.0? Will that unroot me?

Good to see your got it going and have a handle on your NC. Yes the OTA of update 1.1 will break your root so you can either attempt to stop the upgrade, which there are a few methods which have some success or install Clockworkmod Recovery and flash the NookColor_v1.1.0_r2 ROM. The rom does not change anything app-wise on your NC, just makes the changes associated with the 1.1 update. Also there will most likely be an auto-nooter version for 1.1 released in the upcoming days, which will be another option to choose from.

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks. I'm working on installing clockwork recovery and rom manager right now. I do have a question though. How can I add widgets and apps to the homescreen. It looks to have a stock nook homescreen right now. When I long press on it I am not giving them options. Thank you again...

breebauer

Dec 6, 2010
sorry if this is a dumb question :
when I move the clockwork recovery file to /sdcard do I need to unzip it?
or do I need to unzip it before I move it?

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
ok so I am going to warn you this is a dumb question..
but is there some place for instruction on the how to of Clockwork Recovery ? I don't want to mess with it as I know it can make a mess but would like to learn more about it and how to best use it ??????

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Thank u everyone for all your help. Escpecially rico for the details. Im now rooted with 1.1.0, and over clocked to 1.1ghz. This rocks! Now if i can just figure out how to customize the home screen with apps and widgets. Im still stuck with the nook default look. :(

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Thank u everyone for all your help. Escpecially rico for the details. Im now rooted with 1.1.0, and over clocked to 1.1ghz. This rocks! Now if i can just figure out how to customize the home screen with apps and widgets. Im still stuck with the nook default look. :(

You need a launcher program...I use Zeam, but there are several out there...

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Couple more questions from the new guy. One, is there a way to set the android tablet forum app so that I don't have to reenter my login info everytime I exit and return. Two, I'm using cpu tuner instead of setcpu because it is free. It shows the battery temp fluxuating between 25... and 28... Is this to hot? I don't want something to fry. Thanks again guys.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Re login - this seems to be a bug - the tapatalk app which the forum app is based on shows the same problem

johntee

Jan 30, 2011
Hi all... I am having problems doing the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" steps from Page 1. It keeps giving me the error "Error while downloading from Server. Please make sure that you have a stable internet connection, and that your SD card is inserted and has free space!"

Here's my situation... I don't have the Wifi turned on right now, because I don't want B&N to update me to 1.1 and lose the root. (I didn't do the rooting, not 100% sure I could replicate it.)
SD card is in there and is virtually empty (14gb free).

So I followed the above directions. I downloaded the ROM_Manager.apk and recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-nookcolor.zip files to my C:\ drive. Then with the SD card in my laptop I used Windows Explorer to copy the 2 files to the root of the SD card. (Win XP)

With the SD card back in the Nook, I installed the ROM Manager. That worked OK (although it didn't ask me for Superuser permissions like the instructions said it would). When I go into ROM Manager and ask for it to Flash Clockwork Recovery, I get the error above.

I also tried unzipping the Recovery .zip file on the laptop and putting the .img file onto the SD card. (Thinking maybe the Nook couldn't unzip it.) No difference.
(The nook seemed to have unzipped the original .zip file at some point and placed the .img file inside a new directory of the same name.)

I also rebooted once before trying to Flash ClockworkMod. No difference.

Is the problem that I used Windows Explorer to copy the file to the SD card? Did I need to use something like WinImage?
Does it want the .zip file on the SD card, or the .img file?
Is there a need for a custom kernel (I saw mention of that being needed on some other devices, EVO I think it was.)

Or is it something entirely different that's messing me up?

Thanks for any help!!
John

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@johntree
Do not (never) unzip zip files for flashing, only place them on the root of sd card. Turn your wifi back on, it won't kill you. Flash CWR, takes less than 30 seconds. Then turn your wifi off if you wish. Then reboot into CWR.

And first, clean up your sd card by deleting the unzipped content you copied over to your sd card.

edit:
try this- rename the "recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-nookcolor.zip" to "update.zip", place on root sd, open rom manager and flash CWR, all with your wifi off.

Last edited: