(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Now I'm home and trying to fix this. @J515OP, I have no idea where to "Keep it simple and find the CWR 3.0.1 zip file". I googled it, hoping for a link to a direct download- no luck. So now I thought I decided to use the second option I posted above, following @darmeen instructions. Well that post doesn't say 3.0.1, it's 3.0.0.5. So I guess I'll just use that one?

This has not been fun. All I did was follow the steps at the beginning of this thread. It's a shame that the key pieces of information that would have saved me this trouble are hidden somewhere within the 50 some pages that follow. (Key info being, DON'T do this if you have used auto nooter 3.0).

Anyone else awake this morning to offer me some help?

EDIT: Found this: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...le-cwr-msd-v3-0-1-0-ext3-ext4-compatible.html

I have no idea what a .rar file is, but maybe that's what I need....

Ok Jonsey, here we go. The CWR 3.0.0.1 zip file is all over this forum (and use to be in the first post of this thread with the insturctions), I am sorry you weren't able to locate it. A rar file is just a zipped zip file. What you have to do is unpack the rar file leaving a regular zip file.

The thread you found will work and faceman even provided the rapidshare link directly so that you don't have to get just the 3.0.1 zip but the newest 3.0.2.8 is now there. Here is the official thread for CWR http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...422-recovery-official-cwm-3-0-2-8-update.html.

Here are the steps to fix your boot loop issue.

Make sure your nook is powered off and remove teh SD card.
Insert the card in to your PC or card reader.
Download this file cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip and place a copy of it on the root directory of your SD card (the main part of the SD card not in any folder).
Insert the SD card into your nook.
Hold the power and n buttons at the same time for 5-8 seconds. This should boot you into recovery.

Then when you boot into CWR do the following:

-install zip from sdcard
-choose zip from sdcard
select the CWR 3.0.1 zip file you saved to SD card and yes.

When done select reboot and you should boot into Nook as usual.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The post above is the easiest way to fix your problem because all you have to do is put a zip file in the SD card and boot into recovery by holding power and n. That is what I mean by keep it simple. If you can't boot into recovery then you may need to follow the thread you found for creating a bootable SD http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...le-cwr-msd-v3-0-1-0-ext3-ext4-compatible.html.

Just take it one thing at a time though. Many people panick when their nook doesn't work and do 3 or 4 things to try and fix it that are inappropriate and end up making the situation worse.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Did what you posted above. Got to the point of: "Select the CWR 3.0.1 zip file you saved to SD card and Yes".

You say then I should select reboot. I don't have option to reboot on the current screen. It says in white: Apply update from .zip file on SD card

Selectable options are:
-apply/sdcard/update.zip
-choose zip from sdcard
- toggle signature verification
- toggle script asserts

Which do I choose? Or do I use power button to go back a screen to find reboot option?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Did what you posted above. Got to the point of: "Select the CWR 3.0.1 zip file you saved to SD card and Yes".

You say then I should select reboot. I don't have option to reboot on the current screen. It says in white: Apply update from .zip file on SD card

Selectable options are:
-apply/sdcard/update.zip
-choose zip from sdcard
- toggle signature verification
- toggle script asserts

Which do I choose? Or do I use power button to go back a screen to find reboot option?

It is there in the instructions

- choose zip from sdcard

Then confirm that you want to install the zip. It should run a little program and tell you it is installing 3.0.1. Once done it should bring you back to the menu.

Edit: Ok I think I misread that the first time. So it did run and install at this point correct? Yes you now use the power button to back up to the main menu where reboot is an option. :D

Last edited:

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Yes, I did that. But shouldn't there now be an option for Reboot Now? Or do I just hold the power button to power off? I'm confused because you say "when done, select reboot". I don't have that option to select. I only have what I typed above.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Went back to previous menu and selected reboot. Power cycled me back into CWR. This is looking like the loop all over again. I'm really sorry for taking up so much of your time with this. This is horrible. Should I try clearing the caches again?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No, just selecting the zip from SD should have done it. Did you attempt the 8 reboots or any other method of recovery before this? Also did you see the little installation script run?

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
No, I haven't tried anything else. Only what was discussed above.

Yes, did see the installation script run and it said successful. But appears to be stuck in a loop again. Thinking I should try wiping both caches or just select reboot system now again to see if it continues the loop.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No, I haven't tried anything else. Only what was discussed above.

Yes, did see the installation script run and it said successful. But appears to be stuck in a loop again. Thinking I should try wiping both caches or just select reboot system now again to see if it continues the loop.

You can go ahead and try wiping the caches. You might get stuck after the dalvik wipe. If so just hold the power button until it turns off and try again. Just trying a regular power on after a powering off might work too.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Wiping cache seems to have "worked". It showed the n logo and then went to my good old android guy with blue streaks of light like usual. Took a lot longer to get past that than it used to (I think I read something with others reporting longer boot up time, I'll deal with that later.) Now everything looks good and back to normal. Confirmed through Astro File Manager that Clockworkmod files are present, so I guess I'm good.

This was so overwhelming and I couldn't have done this without your help and patience. As I said before, all I wanted was a way to block OTA updates. If I'm there (which I appear to be), I'm good. I will not be trying ROMS or anything else wacky with my Nook Color... well I had thought about doing CM7 on a SD card, but.... If it stays like this, I'm happy as can be.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Wiping cache seems to have "worked". It showed the n logo and then went to my good old android guy with blue streaks of light like usual. Took a lot longer to get past that than it used to (I think I read something with others reporting longer boot up time, I'll deal with that later.) Now everything looks good and back to normal. Confirmed through Astro File Manager that Clockworkmod files are present, so I guess I'm good.

This was so overwhelming and I couldn't have done this without your help and patience. As I said before, all I wanted was a way to block OTA updates. If I'm there (which I appear to be), I'm good. I will not be trying ROMS or anything else wacky with my Nook Color... well I had thought about doing CM7 on a SD card, but.... If it stays like this, I'm happy as can be.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! :)

Wow, I am gald you got back to normal and that I could help. Yes there is just one silly little hangup with installing CWR 3.0.0.5 on an autonooter v3 device that seems to be catching people in the boot loop. As long as the newer CWR versions are used this isn't an issue. You should be blocked from any unwanted updates now.

Bootable CM7 is awesome you should try it out.

JP :D

gdirwin

Jun 3, 2011
I have Cyanogen 7.0.2 booting from SD on a completely stock Nook Color. I want to keep the Nook internal 100% stock, but still use ClockwordMod to do backups/upgrades etc...

Can I create an SD card that contains the ROM/GAPPS as well as ClockworkMod (also on the SD card)? I am worried that if I flash CWM, it will change the stock Nook OS on internal memory...

I have seen examples of how to flash CWM to an SD card, but can CWM be used on the same SD card as the OS?

Lost - all help appreciated...