(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have Cyanogen 7.0.2 booting from SD on a completely stock Nook Color. I want to keep the Nook internal 100% stock, but still use ClockwordMod to do backups/upgrades etc...

Can I create an SD card that contains the ROM/GAPPS as well as ClockworkMod (also on the SD card)? I am worried that if I flash CWM, it will change the stock Nook OS on internal memory...

I have seen examples of how to flash CWM to an SD card, but can CWM be used on the same SD card as the OS?

Lost - all help appreciated...

No, you can't really use CWM Recovery from a bootable SD card. The problem is you can't boot into it since you are booting from the SD card. On top of that it needs a SD card to write backups to and the SD card you have when booting into CM7 from the SD is really just a partition that functions as a virtual SD card, which is not compatible with CWM Recovery (CWR).

I do believe you can boot into CM7 from the SD card and create backups through CWM ROM Manager though. You can also do updates through ROM Manager from the bootable SD. Everything you do on the CM7 bootable SD card is contained to the SD card and will not change what is in the Nook's internal memory.

You can also create a bootable CWR disk that you can use to make backups of your stock nook without changing anything internally. You could also use this card to flash custom ROMs to the internal memory but that would change it. All you can really do with a bootable CWR and not change the internal memory is clear the caches and make backups.

If you make the CWR card and make a nandroid (backup) you can revert to that backup and restore to stock at any time. Is there a reason you need to keep the internal memory of the Nook stock? Again it can always be restored to stock even if you don't make a nandroid first (it is just easier if you do).

JP

Sep 24, 2010
I (n00b) have gotten to the CWR backup complete. I'm not sure what ROM to use. I have v1.2.0, manualnooter-4-6-16 (eMMC). I want to oc.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I (n00b) have gotten to the CWR backup complete. I'm not sure what ROM to use. I have v1.2.0, manualnooter-4-6-16 (eMMC). I want to oc.

It sounds like you might be asking which Over Clock kernel to use not which ROM. A ROM will completely replace your rooted B&N 1.2. In that case there are 3 main options, CM7, Phiremod and Ultimate Droid all of which have threads here in the Technical section for further details.

Here is the thread you want to look at to find OC kernels http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...honeycomb-dalingrins-oc-kernel-2-25-11-a.html. You want a Froyo kernel for eMMC if you are planning on staying with B&N 1.2 rooted.

Sep 24, 2010
Would this be the right one?

update-froyo-dalingrin-OC-sd-032811.zip
03/28/2011, 3.58 MB

EDIT:
Wrong one. Just noticed the SD in the name. I need the eMMC one. :p

EDIT2:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/6386-how-installing-using-clockworkmod-rom-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html#post36228

-Once complete, press power button to go back to main menu
-Scroll to "reboot system"
-Press "n" to execute
note: if your NC locks up, just hold power button to reboot or power button and "n" button together
to boot back into CWR.
AAAAHH!!... Black screen! WTF did I do wrong? :/

$Kirk_Yelling.jpg

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
See that note at the bottom? Try that (hold the power button). As far as the kernel if you got the same one but for eMMC it should be ok.

Sep 24, 2010
I tried that too with no luck. Reboot in CWM Recovery and restored my backup. Trying to figure out what went wrong to try this again.

Sep 24, 2010
I tried the reinstalling several times w/o success. Downloaded update-Froyo1.2-dalingrin-OC-emmc-061811.zip and worked like a charm. Installed "Nook Color Tweaks" & "SetCPU" seem to be running stable @ 1.3Ghz

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I tried the reinstalling several times w/o success. Downloaded update-Froyo1.2-dalingrin-OC-emmc-061811.zip and worked like a charm. Installed "Nook Color Tweaks" & "SetCPU" seem to be running stable @ 1.3Ghz

Good job, sounds like there was an issue with the last kernel you tried. Maybe it was a bad download.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
I posted the following in another thread, but I think this is the right place for it:

I got my first notification that an update was available for CM7 since installing it a couple of weeks ago. I did a Titanium Backup, downloaded the update, wiped Dalvik Cache, and installed the update. It stalled with the word A N D R O I D in the lower left corner of the landscape screen. Was I supposed to delete data as well? I went with cache only because that was the default. What's the easiest way to get my Nook up and running?

I apologize for the Noob question.

Following up to that post, I was able to get into ClockworkMod Recovery, but am unsure of where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
I managed to make some progress, but I'm not completely there yet. Within ClockworkMod I went ahead and did a backup. I deleted all cache, navigated to the earlier version of CM7 I was on and reinstalled it. At first it seemed as if all was good until I went to check my email. All of my accounts are gone. When I go into Accounts and click on Add Account, there's no option for Gmail or Google accounts. I tried restoring the Titanium Backup I had done, but that didn't help. Any suggestions on what I can do next would be most welcome.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
Continuing to make slow progress, but could really use some help. Today will be my last day to get this up and running again. After that I will not have the time.

I wiped all user data and reinstalled CM-7.0.3 and started from scratch. I was still unable to add my Gmail account that would allow me to get into the Market. All I need to do is download Titanium Backup so I can restore the last backup I made before screwing everything up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
Got around to it eventually. I re-downloaded 7.0.3 with Google Apps checked (I had done that last time as well). When I rebooted it prompted me to sign in to my Google account. I downloaded Titanium Backup and appear to be roughly where I was before I attempted the update.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Got around to it eventually. I re-downloaded 7.0.3 with Google Apps checked (I had done that last time as well). When I rebooted it prompted me to sign in to my Google account. I downloaded Titanium Backup and appear to be roughly where I was before I attempted the update.

Sorry I couldn't be of help sooner as I was vacationing. Sounds like you got it figured out though. You need to flash the CM7 zip from CWR followed by the Gapps zip to get a fully functioning CM7.

Now that you are up and running about where you were before, boot into recovery (CWR) and make a nandroid backup. This will create a zip file of the current state of the Nook including Gapps so if you need to restore you have a complete file with everything up to the date of your backup included. This will cut down your recovery efforts a little the next time you need to restore.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
Sorry I couldn't be of help sooner as I was vacationing. Sounds like you got it figured out though. You need to flash the CM7 zip from CWR followed by the Gapps zip to get a fully functioning CM7.

Now that you are up and running about where you were before, boot into recovery (CWR) and make a nandroid backup. This will create a zip file of the current state of the Nook including Gapps so if you need to restore you have a complete file with everything up to the date of your backup included. This will cut down your recovery efforts a little the next time you need to restore.

Will do. Thanks.