[How To] Manually Update SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7 to Android 2.2 "Froyo"

usagi111

Apr 7, 2011
I've done all the steps of for the USB Mode method, the driver loads, the "Dv." turns green, but when I click burn...A word (something japanese or chinese) comes up under the "status" column and it stays at "0%"...then the tablet starts up. I've uninstalled the driver, rebooted, and tried again, and again, nothing...any thoughts

usagi111

Apr 7, 2011
It doesn't mention starting from either a clean wipe or a ugly hacked device in the instructions...has anyone successfully done this while having Android Market on their tablet? I understand that I would LOSE it on Froyo 2.2 and I'm willing to take the risk, but I need to make sure that the process would work if I do a Clean Wipe, I would hate to do the Ugly Hack all over again. and BTW, Kudos for doing all this, you guys ROCK!!!!

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
okay pieces of info on extracting uboot, kernel, etc from an ius.

1st you have to use a hex editor to search for gzip headers

Use a hex editor to search for gzip headers (0x270519). That way, you will find the compressed ramdisk.cpio image and system.img. E.g. dd if=<thefile.ius> bs=<the offset of the gzip header> skip=1 | gzip -cd - > imagefile

If gzip produces the file and only warns about garbage at the end, you've found the proper location!

If found:

You can create ramdisk image like this:

Code:
{ cat uboot_header ; dd if=file.ius bs=<offset> skip=1 | gzip -cd - | gzip ; } > ramdisk.img
The uboot_header is the first 64 bytes from the ramdisk.img of older firmwares, you can grab it from there (again, dd!)

And system.img:

Code:
dd if=file.ius bs=<offset> skip=1 | gzip -cd - > system.img
uImage (kernel + u-boot header) is a little trickier. You have to search in the hex editor for 0x27051956, and then look if you see a Linux kernel version following it in the next 128 or so bytes. I'm not sure how to tell exactly how many bytes the uImage in the .ius file is though, but you can look at the supplied burn tool to see how many KB it reports the kernel to be. Round that up and use that as size to extract. So if it returns 2600.5 KB:

Code:
dd if=file.ius bs=1 seek=<offset> count=$((2601* 1024)) of=uImage
A few extra bytes in the uImage won't hurt.

I'll have a go at it later if no one has beat me to it
smile.gif
Source
In the rom dev thread I have explained how to extract the ramdisk, kernel and system images from the .ius file. I'll move it to here:

I'll have a go at it later if no one has beat me to it :)

uImage:

dd if=WWE10B_Android_393477-v9full.ius bs=1 skip=260096 count=2681856 of=uImage

ramdisk.img:

{ dd if=WWE10B_Android_393477-v9full.ius bs=1 skip=503296 count=64 ; dd if=WWE10B_Android_393477-v9full.ius bs=503360 skip=1 | gzip -cd - |gzip ; } > ramdisk.img

system.img (gzip header = 0x1f8b08, got it wrong before):

dd if=WWE10B_Android_393477-v9full.ius bs=3352128 skip=1 | gzip -cd - > system.img

You can use these images directly in burntool, though I think you have to flash U0 before they will actually work. Without doing that, I'm seeing the old boot image (green screen) somehow.
source

This is important to me because if i can learn how to get the system out i may be able to manually insert a touchscreen calibration file and be able to use my tablet for dev work without a working touch screen. It's important for everyone else because if we know how to extract it we can actually start building custom roms etc.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
And I think, from what I have seen and read, that it might not be necessary to build a rom from the ground up.
If we can extract the IMG files.. and replace them... couldn't we say Pull the old "Mt device" explorer with the FTP connection from the DG2.02 and then inject it into the new Froyo 2.2 to replace the "My Pad" explorer? Or for any other apk that the system uses as default?

Just a thought.

stragulus

Apr 8, 2011
okay pieces of info on extracting uboot, kernel, etc from an ius.

Stragulus here who wrote the instructions above:

For just the pointer calibration, you only need to modify the ramdisk (ramdisk.img). What you basically need to do:

* Locate & extract ramdisk.img in the .ius image
* Add a pointer calibration file to the image (you will need to get one from someone who has already calibrated their tablet!)
* Add instructions in init.rc in the ramdisk image that will copy this pointer calibration file to the path where the tablet expects it
* Recreate ramdisk.img
* Flash it to the tablet (I didn't read through this thread but I think you can do this using an sd-card method as well? If so, dump it on the sd-card as android/ramdisk.img, remove all the other files in that dir, and boot the tablet off of it)

So first thing you need is the pointer calibration file. Someone here who has rooted their tablet should look it up, on all other infotmic tablets the file is /data/misc/tscal/pointercal

Once that is available, I can help with the other steps.

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
Stragulus here who wrote the instructions above:

For just the pointer calibration, you only need to modify the ramdisk (ramdisk.img). What you basically need to do:

* Locate & extract ramdisk.img in the .ius image
* Add a pointer calibration file to the image (you will need to get one from someone who has already calibrated their tablet!)
* Add instructions in init.rc in the ramdisk image that will copy this pointer calibration file to the path where the tablet expects it
* Recreate ramdisk.img
* Flash it to the tablet (I didn't read through this thread but I think you can do this using an sd-card method as well? If so, dump it on the sd-card as android/ramdisk.img, remove all the other files in that dir, and boot the tablet off of it)

So first thing you need is the pointer calibration file. Someone here who has rooted their tablet should look it up, on all other infotmic tablets the file is /data/misc/tscal/pointercal

Once that is available, I can help with the other steps.
I have dd .img's of all my partitions from before the screen was broken. IT should have all the files i need to do everything described above. Welcome to Androidtablets.net !

Thanks for the response i'll see what i can get rolling.

Last edited:

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
If the files is stored in /data could i just use the burn tool to burn my entire backed up data folder in theory adding the calibration file to where it needs to be?

usagi111

Apr 7, 2011
I would say when all else fails... try it after a clean wipe...

Tried it, still didn't work, I don't get it, I'm on hwver 11.2.0.6, I'm using the right file...I don't know what that word is coming up on the 'status'...I'll try to download the ius file again and keep trying.

skamp

Mar 25, 2011
well, that was pretty painless!
since i have win7 used the OTG method, worked great!
the communicating with pc never showed until after i started the burn.
and the first boot is night and day, i had mine rooted before with the ugly market hack, and the speed difference is HUGE! so much faster now.
Thanks to all that made this happen, and wrote up the instructions, you guys rock!

skamp

Mar 25, 2011
Also, if you have terminal emulator installed, instead of using adb, just run the command
cat /proc/cmdline

to get your hwver.

nofxsk8

Apr 9, 2011
Hi and thanks a lot for the information , links and tools :) - they saved my life

I bricked my Disgo 6000 with android 2.1 by rooting it and removing some file (apparently this should speed it up according to another thread I found).
Unfortunately I ended with a tabled that boots only up to disgo logo and stays there forever.
On the Internet there isn't much info about this device, but I found out that it similar to Sylvania
Ubuntu wasn't recognizing the dead tabled at all -> I switch to Win XP and while booting the tabled (black screen) it asked me for a driver .
Did a bit of research and found this forum
Downloaded the iuw1.1-english file and found a OTG driver in the archive.
Installed the driver , device was recognized - waited 2 minutes and it showed "communicating with PC"
Quite a good sign as 20 minutes ago I though this device is lost forever
I could not find out the HW revision , but I download the first file (11.2.0.6.2.0_beta3.ius) to give it a shot as the tutorial said (Only the corresponding file to "hwver" will burn the new update.)
Burned it , restarted - Taaaadaaa - It was alive again
Booting up with the Sylvania logo ,but the tablet is much much faster and more responsive with android 2.2

Other thoughts:
-OTG doesn't work as the author said (no biggie for me)
-Wifi seems to be disconnecting every now and then , but could be only my ...
-Auto orientation works - yeah :)

Hope this information is useful to other disgo 6000 users,that like to switch to 2.2 Froyo or have bricked the tablet somehow :D

Thanks again and keep up the good work

usagi111

Apr 7, 2011
Okay, I've made a couple of more attempts, I don't know if it's my PC, my USB ports or something, but I took a screen capture of the program when I try to burn...if anyone knows what that word under status means..."failed" or "incomplete" or anything feel free to respond. In the meantime, I'll either look for another PC to try this on, or jus do the Market Hack again and wait...I appreciate any input here.

$burn.JPG

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Hi and thanks a lot for the information , links and tools :) - they saved my life

Other thoughts:
-OTG doesn't work as the author said (no biggie for me)
-Wifi seems to be disconnecting every now and then , but could be only my ...
-Auto orientation works - yeah :)

Hope this information is useful to other disgo 6000 users,that like to switch to 2.2 Froyo or have bricked the tablet somehow :D

Thanks again and keep up the good work

Congratulations "nofxsk8"! I started a new Thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...go-6000-updated-dg2-20-android-2-2-froyo.html so Disco owners can quickly find your information.

As suspected the Disgo 6000 and Sylvania tablets are very similar devices that can share firmware.

A few questions/comments/requests -

Can you confirm that on your "bricked my Disgo 6000 with android 2.1" when attempting "Apply a factory reset - (three finger method)" it Failed and that with the 2.2 update a "factory reset" can be applied?

Since the Disgo 6000 and Sylvania tablets can share firmware it would be informational to know where the Disgo 6000 gets it updates. From now on, a tablet updated with the Sylvania update will query the infoTM site for the Digital Gadgets version updates.

If a Disgo 6000 user running 2.1 could pull the "Settings.apk" and post it for inspection, the Disgo 6000 update location could be identified. A method for pulling this important file is detailed in http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ablet-6000-hardware-version-settings-apk.html.

Once identified any updates could be reviewed so that we could possibly utilize the best of both the Disgo 6000 and Sylvania firmwares to create a hybrid ROM.

The Sylvania boot animation could also be replaced on an updated Disgo 6000 if a current 2.1 Disgo 6000 user would post the boot animation files. They could then be pushed to the tablet to give the original appearance.

Finally, the 2.2 update includes a feature to allow the WiFi to "Turn Off" when the screen sleeps thus increasing the battery life. This seems to have issues that WiFi doesn't seem to turn back on sometimes. There is an updated driver for the WiFi but it wasn't included in the 2.2 update. Here is the manual process to update but unsure if it will improve this issue. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/9883-odd-wifi-problem.html#post57846

Assistance by Disgo 6000 owners would greatly benefit the development of a customized update using the best of both devices features.

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Okay, I've made a couple of more attempts, I don't know if it's my PC, my USB ports or something, but I took a screen capture of the program when I try to burn...if anyone knows what that word under status means..."failed" or "incomplete" or anything feel free to respond. In the meantime, I'll either look for another PC to try this on, or jus do the Market Hack again and wait...I appreciate any input here.

Can you confirm the "hwver" of the device? An attempt to burn the incorrect *ius is suspected to Fail.

Here are the potential Status messages -
Code:
iuw: Failed to get image description magic.
iuw: Unknown type of image.
iuw: Not a valid infoTM wrap! Magic do not match.
iuw: Not a valid infoTM wrap! Hcrc do not match.
iuw: Hcrc passed!!
iuw: Image type %d is not supported currently.
iuw: Not a wrap for the current board.!
iuw: 0x%08x <==> save: 0x%08x, len=0x%x
iuw: Not a valid infoTM wrap! Dcrc do not match.
iuw: Dcrc passed.
iuw: Not a valid infoTM wrap! Image count out of baundry.
iuw: Get image %d faild, maybe the update wrap is demaged.
$imgÏÂÔØÖÐ....JPG

Last edited: