[How To] Restore Stock Recovery from CWR

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
If you can't figure out how to get 8 failed boots to work, you can always accomplish the same thing via a CWR on a SD Card.

Check the thread in my signature for details.

Supergirl9801

Mar 25, 2011
Darmeen,

I'm a total newb at this so please ignore my ignorance. Is this what you want me to do:

Fixing boot recovery

[ZIP][RECOVERY] EMMC Recovery Repair - xda-developers (Thanks to xawen over at XDA for laying this out)

For those that don't have memberships at XDA here are the instructions:
1) Create a bootable CWM SD card from the link in the first post.
2) Mount the SD card on your computer and copy the RecoveryFix.zip file to it.
3) Boot the Nook into CWM from the SD card.
4) Choose "install zip from sdcard"
5) Choose "choose zip from sdcard"
6) Browse to the RecoveryFix.zip and select it.
7) Choose "Yes - Install RecoveryFix.zip"

CWM should now work by booting and holding the N + Power buttons.

You can find the recoveryfix file RecoveryFix.zip here.​

Supergirl9801

Mar 25, 2011
You know what I totally appreciate everyone's help here, but I've found some youtube video's that have been more helpful and I managed to get it back to factory settings. The biggest difference I found in instructions was to hold the power button, volume up button, and the n button at the same time when doing the "8 time reboot". Then hit n twice quickly and the factory reset dialog box will come up. This was the only way I was able to get a clean factory reset. It seemed no matter how many times I did the "8 time reboot" following directions here it didn't work. So...maybe that helps someone else in the future. There's I'd google for the youtube video's if you're a real newb and need a visual....it's really helpful!!!

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
-Flash stock 1.0.1 kernel (if oc kernel is installed)

Found another one.. Where can the stock kernel be found?

Also, when I'm doing all this, does the CWR version matter?

Thanks for all your help once again.. You know you're my hero, right? right?!? =)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Found another one.. Where can the stock kernel be found?

Also, when I'm doing all this, does the CWR version matter?

Thanks for all your help once again.. You know you're my hero, right? right?!? =)

Update to OP:
kernel-stock.zip stock 1.0.1 (for android 2.1 ran off internal memory, b&n 1.0.1 & 1.1)

This tutorial will remove any internally installed CWM recovery version.

dividj

Oct 11, 2011
I followed the directions to install the Monster Rootpack but it didn't work. So I decided to restore my nook back to factory settings. Then it was stuck... so I looked for ways to remove CWR and restore NC. I did that and it was stuck and is stuck with half of the original things working in stock. I get to a partial screen with "home" and "soft keys" if I try to go to the home page I get the message "Initial loading from Media Provider failed to load" so I followed the directions that another person got. I'm still stuck the same way and have no clue what to do! I hope someone can help me get back to factory settings and restore the basic NC!

dividj

Oct 11, 2011
Thank you so much!! I was having the exact same problem especially with the 8 reboot, couldn't get it done and this shortcut is fabulous and my NC is now doing factory reset too!

SuperGirl!!

Last edited:

dividj

Oct 11, 2011
I followed the directions to install the Monster Rootpack but it didn't work. So I decided to restore my nook back to factory settings. Then it was stuck... so I looked for ways to remove CWR and restore NC. I did that and it was stuck and is stuck with half of the original things working in stock. I get to a partial screen with "home" and "soft keys" if I try to go to the home page I get the message "Initial loading from Media Provider failed to load" so I followed the directions that another person got. I'm still stuck the same way and have no clue what to do! I hope someone can help me get back to factory settings and restore the basic NC!

I have restored everything back to stock but it does not show my storage capacity... it shows 0% of 0%! How do I get my media storage back?! I can't download anything and can't upgrade Nook either. My computer does not recognize Nook and there is no media storage showing on my computer either!!

Last edited:

saeastin

Jan 12, 2012
I want to remove CWR 3.2.0.1, but it won't recognize sd cards anymore at all, and won't power up if one is inserted.
I had made a booted sd card to run CM7 and it was working really well.
I also made a bootable honeycomb sd card and it also worked pretty well.
But for some reason, after sitting for a week or so without a card in, my sd reader stopped working.
So now I can not boot from the cards or use a card to reset the recovery to stock.
I have tried multiple cards and they all open fine in windows explorer but the nook will not recognize them at all from CWR.
And if I put in a card while running nook 1.3 it powers off and will not turn back on unless I remove the card.
I don't know what to do now, I want to get the reader fixed but I don't know how to get it back to stock without the card.
And it wont let me install the update either, it comes to a android man with a triangular exclamation mark sign.
Then when I push the power button it loads CWR.
So if they try to update it my warranty is voided isn't it?