(How-to) Skip Registration with B&N

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I just found an interesting update on nookDevs that shows how to skip the Out-Of-The-Box-Experience (Oobe) on the NC. What this means apparently, is that if you want to bypass the part where you register the NC at B&N, you can:

NookColor Factory Mode/Skip Oobe - nookDevs

Skip Oobe (Out-of-box Experience)

• While on the Factory screen, tap power while holding Volume Up and home again. The screen again turns off for a second.
  • When the screen wakes up, tap the lower right corner of the screen.
  • A grey "Skip Oobe" button appears. Tap it to completely bypass the video, time zone, Wi-Fi and B&N registration process.
I should emphasize that I haven't tried it, nor have I seen any accounts of other users who have. Two important questions arise:

- Does the NC otherwise function normally if you skip registration?
- Do you lose access to built-in B&N functions (e.g., B&N bookstore)?

At this point, one problem I see that is that users who root their NC, and then want to install Google Experience apps like Gmail and Market, may not be able to because the current modification requires registering with B&N.

It's an interesting option, and something to continue monitoring!

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Not sure why people want to skip registration. It causes no harm, rooting is not illegal and entering a cc is not required when registering.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Android Tablet Forum App

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ah, you're a trusting soul. ;) I see no harm either. But because rooting is a form of modification that isn't permitted under the EULA it is something to consider. But I'd put it well beneath "cheating on your taxes" in severity.

Yeah, I have issues with obedience and authority!

-Matt

pustyak

May 10, 2011
Not sure why people want to skip registration. It causes no harm, rooting is not illegal and entering a cc is not required when registering.

I can tell you an instance why. When all you have is an ad hoc wifi network which the nook cannot see, it is impossible to register and gain access.

BTW, the information in the OP is outdated. Take a look at the nookdevs site because it describes very well what you must do.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I can tell you an instance why. When all you have is an ad hoc wifi network which the nook cannot see, it is impossible to register and gain access.

BTW, the information in the OP is outdated. Take a look at the nookdevs site because it describes very well what you must do.

Well to be fair this is a very old thread your brought back, so of course it is outdated. Things have changes a lot and I mean a lot a lot since December. At that time the first rooting of the Nook had just happened. Now we have progressed all the way through custom ROMs where nothing B&N even matters.

doktorboris

Dec 20, 2015
NookColor Factory Mode/Skip Out of Box Experience

On a virgin/factory reset NOOKcolor, there's a "Factory" screen that displays various bits about the device, such as model, serial number, MAC address, public key, etc.

Enable Factory Mode
  • After powering on the NC, you should be presented with a still of Kate with a "Play Video" button and a "Skip Video" button below.
  • While holding down Volume Up button, tap the lower left of the screen, then the lower right.
  • A green "Factory" button appears in the lower left corner. Tap it to get to the Factory screen.

Skip Oobe (Out-of-box Experience)
  • While on the Factory screen, tap the lower right corner of the screen while holding Volume Up button.

• A grey "Skip Oobe" button appears. Tap it to completely bypass the video, time zone, Wi-Fi and B&N registration process.