(HOW TO) Uninstall Clockwork Recovery and revert to a stock image

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
J5150P, for what it is worth, I never could do the 8 boot either. The best I got was loading the internal CWR and that one never allowed me to do a complete wipe. Trying to wipe Davlik always got me frozen, and I assume was imcomplete. Using the newest CWR got me a clean slate. Is there a way to boot from a SD card and then physically do a complete format of the whole eMMC and then rebuild the partitions? I am still in "PC mode" as I run these ideas by. I do not at this point have a real good grasp of linux.

Yes, I understand that the 8 boots might not always work and that seems to be part of the problem. It allows for a wipe that is independent of CWR followed by and erase and delete using power + n. It is unfortunate that it is not working.

I do not know of any commonly available tool where you can just pop in an SD card and completely reformat the entire internal memory. The steps taken should have the same result but don't seem to be working which is why I wonder if jake is missing a detail in his procedure. If that is the case maybe making another step by step will help find what is being missed. Sometimes I forget that I know the little things and might take them for granted when others might not know to do them.

One other idea I have been kicking around is to try and use the Monster Rootpack method. It doesn't really do anything we haven't tried but it does pull the tools together in one pacakge. Maybe the way it runs will be just enough to get it going Monster RootPack Manual

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Here's a thought.....

If one booted from the SD card and connected the Nook to the PC via the USB cable, would the eMMC be visible to the PC? My thinking is if you were booted from the card, the eMMC would not have any files in use and you might be able to directly manipulate it from the PC, see the file structure, format the various folders, delete any that don't belong there. etc....

As I said, I'm just spouting ideas. :)

I'm wondering if Jake is coming back or if he surrendered....

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Here's a thought.....

If one booted from the SD card and connected the Nook to the PC via the USB cable, would the eMMC be visible to the PC? My thinking is if you were booted from the card, the eMMC would not have any files in use and you might be able to directly manipulate it from the PC, see the file structure, format the various folders, delete any that don't belong there. etc....

As I said, I'm just spouting ideas. :)

I'm wondering if Jake is coming back or if he surrendered....

That is a good thought but I am not sure of what damage you might do to your nook if you tried that. You can connect to the PC via usb from a bootable SD but formatting the internal memory while running could cause issues. I suppose he could try and manually delete files as you are suggesting from the internal memory but again I wouldn't be sure where to start in that senario.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes ADB might help with a couple of issues including setting the 8 boot count. I am sure jake would like any help he can get with ADB of otherwise at this point.

JP

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
haha, im back, i have not surrendered, but i did take a nice needed break, and run cm7 from sd card so i could do something with my nook, bud sadly even that, i tried to install gapps, failed once and was like meh, ill take care of this tomorrow. adb sounds like an amazing idea, except everytime i type "adb devices" i get no serial number or whatever...

but as redundant as it is, and probably painstakingly annoying, if you put together a idiot proof, start to finish, head to toe instro of how to wipe everything, and restore to stock/cm7 it may be helpful, to me, and to many. and to make it even better, before i actually follow the steps, i will read them ask questions and help ammend the instructions until we have a crystal clear failproof set of directions. that way we can know for sure what the issue is.

if we cant get it running, would selling it set up for cm7 or honeycomb on sdcard (16gb) for 200$ be ridiculous?

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
haha, im back, i have not surrendered, but i did take a nice needed break, and run cm7 from sd card so i could do something with my nook, bud sadly even that, i tried to install gapps, failed once and was like meh, ill take care of this tomorrow. adb sounds like an amazing idea, except everytime i type "adb devices" i get no serial number or whatever...

but as redundant as it is, and probably painstakingly annoying, if you put together a idiot proof, start to finish, head to toe instro of how to wipe everything, and restore to stock/cm7 it may be helpful, to me, and to many. and to make it even better, before i actually follow the steps, i will read them ask questions and help ammend the instructions until we have a crystal clear failproof set of directions. that way we can know for sure what the issue is.

if we cant get it running, would selling it set up for cm7 or honeycomb on sdcard (16gb) for 200$ be ridiculous?

Well, considering I bought it refurbished from B&N through e-bay for $225 with free shipping and in perfect working order until I got my grubby little hands on it, yes $200 seems a tad high.

Interestingly, I had the same problem as you in that I could not get the 8 boot sequence to work either. At best, it threw me into the internal CWR which was of no help to me. I could never get a complete wipe either so whenever I installed another CM7 (and I tried several versions) bits and pieces of a previously bad install were left. When it immediately connected to ny password protected wireless router without my input I knew not everything was getting erased. The latest version of CWR was what finally made the difference. When I put that on the SD card I was able to wipe the data, cache and Davlik cache without it freezing. It was only then that I was able to do a proper install and I chose the 86 nightly because it contained a new kernel and also an updated boot file. (I'm pretty sure I was previously stuck with a bad kernel from an aborted OC attempt which caused all the FCs and prevented me from getting into the CM settings.)

I know you think you have tried everything but I would ask one more time. Put the latest CWR (or at least 3.2.0.0) on your SD card, boot up and wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition and then the Davlik cache. In addition, go to mounts and storage and format system, data and cache. Go back, pull the card and reboot. Hopefully, you come up empty at that point.

If you are good at that point, put the 86 nightly in the root directory of the card and boot from the card again and install the nightly. Forget the market for now. The objective is to get you booted into a running system off the eMMC.

Last edited:

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i followed this (above) to no avail, i redid the previous instructions shared by jp, i followed them very closely, still no cigar. i then loaded up 3201 and filled the sd with wiping/reformat/etc files and used the native cwr options to wipe reformat and erase everything and replace it with the stock zip files i have accumulated through this journey, after wiping stuff, and resetting everything to stock i.e. kernal, boot, system etc. that got me to the n screen that i have become overly familiar with lol :( <br><br>so i guess the next step is going to be to find some more zip files that pertain to deep wiping the system, or an alternative to cwr, <br>and i still cant figure out how to get the nook to show up in the command prompt when i type "adb devices"<br><br>oh, ill go ahead and do a video clip of me doing the 8 forced reboot and see if you guys think im doing it right or wrong... what would be the best option for posting that on here?<br>oh, nvm, lol i see the insert video button.<br><br>ill be back with you guys later today!

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Any way you can contact the guy you bought it from and ask what the hell he installed and how? Unless he is an evil genius, he must have followed instructions from some website. It would be very helpful if you could find out the url for that.

Droider

Jun 12, 2011
Hi everyone, I followed the instructions to the letter, but when I attempted to format data, I received the following error message: "Error formatting /data!". I tried several reboots and still couldn't get past this.

What do you think went wrong?

Last edited:

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Hi everyone, I followed the instructions to the letter, but when I attempted to format data, I received the following error message: "Error formatting /data!". I tried several reboots and still couldn't get past this.

What do you think went wrong?

Are you using the latest version of CWR? 3.2.0.1? 3.2.0.0 fixed that formatting problem and also the freezing issue some had when wiping Davlik cache.

Droider

Jun 12, 2011
I don't think so but let me find it and report back. I've used all of the ones before it and they haven't worked.

Droider

Jun 12, 2011
When I went looking back through some of the CWM images, I found that I did use 3.2.0.1 and it still gave me that error.

Last edited:

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Don't bother with the format part, just wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and then go to advanced and wipe Davlik.

Droider

Jun 12, 2011
Okay, I'll give it a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I will let you know, Patruns, and thanks for the help.