[Howto] Install CWM, Custom ROM, Flash Player, and Market Fix for 1.1 based ROMs

RumbleKittie

Jun 1, 2011
I'm able to access market apps more consistently now. Yay! I think it probably had something to do with using the new market .apk. I'm loving the new update, btw.

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

KhAjUr

Jul 19, 2011
I am little confused on Objective 2.
-------------------------------
1. Clean your MicroSD card or delete the update.zip in the internal storage from Objective 1.
2. Create a folder called ROMs on your internal storage.
3. Copy the gharmony.zip/yourrom.zip to the ROMs folder you just created. (Do NOT unzip the file. CWR uses .zip files. If your file has an update.zip in the original zip file (ie. tnt lite 4.20has an update.zip inside of the gtab_tnt_lite_4.20, rename it to romname.zip or something for easy identification.)
11. Flash the ROM
1. Highlight "install zip from sdcard" and press the home button.
2. Highlight "choose zip from sdcard" and press the home button.
3. Highlight "ROMs" and press the home button.
4. Highlight "G_Harmonyv1.2.zip" or "yourrom.zip" and hit the home button.
5. Highlight "Yes - Install yourrom.zip" and hit the home button.
6. Once the process is complete you should see something like "Install zip from sdcard complete" at the bottom of the screen.
15. Highlight "reboot system now" and press the home button. (Be patient for the first boot up. It can take anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes)

---------------------------------------------------------
step 1 says to clean microsd card and step 2&3 says to copy zip file to internal storage while step 11 shows how to select zip file from sdcard. Little confused on that. Also, does sdcard means built-in sdcard or an external sdcard that I can push in on the side?

I followed the instructions using external sdcard and my tablet freezes at the bird screen after rebooting at the end of objective 2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Step 11 is the verbiage that CWM uses. SDCARD refers to the internal storage. You should be putting these files on the internal storage.

RumbleKittie

Jun 1, 2011
Argh. I'm so frustrated with myself.

I'm trying to install a 1.2 Dev branch ROM coming from CM7. In the process, I managed to softbrick the device, so I used these NVFlash directions ([RECOVERY] nvflash FULL restore, using either 1.1 or 1.2 based images - [G-TABLET] - SlateDroid.com) to restore stock 4349.

Next, I tried installing CWM, and that's where I'm having the greatest trouble. I downloaded the internal version of CWM from this thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...l/10202-list-1-1-roms-viewsonic-g-tablet.html. I power off and reboot into recover using power and Vol +. Instead of going into CWM, I went into 'Android system recovery <3e>' and at the bottom, I get the following message:

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk2
(no such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD2:recovery/command
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...

And then it just gets stuck there. Anyone else encounter this? I tried installing CWM from internal memory and from microSD card and it doesn't seem to work. I've flashed other ROM's before, I'm not sure why I'm having such trouble tonight. :-( I appreciate any help or insight.

Thanks!

RumbleKittie

Jun 1, 2011
Well, I managed to flash Flashback without using CWM. With that, I'm giving up for the night. :-D I'm sure I'll come back tomorrow with more peculiarities.

For those that are curious how I installed a ROM without using CWM, I just deleted the CWM update.zip file and renamed the Flashback zip to update.zip. When rebooting, it installed and frozen at this toolbox icon. Powered off and rebooted again and went into Flashback.

I have a feeling I probably just wound up providing future headaches for myself down the road, but at least I can sleep with a small sense of victory. ;-)

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Argh. I'm so frustrated with myself.

I'm trying to install a 1.2 Dev branch ROM coming from CM7. In the process, I managed to softbrick the device, so I used these NVFlash directions ([RECOVERY] nvflash FULL restore, using either 1.1 or 1.2 based images - [G-TABLET] - SlateDroid.com) to restore stock 4349.

Next, I tried installing CWM, and that's where I'm having the greatest trouble. I downloaded the internal version of CWM from this thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...l/10202-list-1-1-roms-viewsonic-g-tablet.html. I power off and reboot into recover using power and Vol +. Instead of going into CWM, I went into 'Android system recovery <3e>' and at the bottom, I get the following message:

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk2
(no such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD2:recovery/command
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...

And then it just gets stuck there. Anyone else encounter this? I tried installing CWM from internal memory and from microSD card and it doesn't seem to work. I've flashed other ROM's before, I'm not sure why I'm having such trouble tonight. :-( I appreciate any help or insight.

Thanks!

This thread is for 1.1 ROMs only.

chuckc

Aug 18, 2011
I tried doing the Market fix 1 but I don't even have a Market app in my system applications. What am I missing?

Chuck...

Sep 22, 2011
Hi guys,
I tried to Install tnt 4.3 lite the thing started installing then got the android screen that kept reloading
Tried to go to recovery. I'm getting Recovery key detected in the upper left corner with the birds pic and it is frozen.
Then tried to install cwm the "external sd version" have the update.zip and the recovery on the root of the microsd and still nothing is happening its not installing cwm "still stuck on the recovery key detected with the birds"
Any ideas? Am I missing on something?? can i use the internal memory cwm somehow or maybe format the internal mem?
Thanks

Last edited:

vagsdman

Jul 20, 2012
I followed instructions and attempted to reboot but i can't get past the viewsonics screen. it doesn't seem to detect the micro sd card. Itried warm reboot, using power and vol- and vol + and nothing works

[email protected]