I'm boycotting all archos products

phfaty

Oct 9, 2010
I finally got my viewsonic 10 inch tablet after waiting for 3 months for this stupid Archos tablet to show up. Looks like its vaporware.

babynomad

Oct 10, 2010
I spoke to the Archos distributor in Australia today. They are telling me stocks next batch won't be here until mid December, however, they still may not be be able to fill all orders even then....!!!! :(
So I'm going to finally give up too......

What to get!!!!
Maybe I'll settle on the telstra t-touch, and enjoy the fact that I can put my pre-paid sim into it and use it for cheap internet surfing....
At least it can handle my book reading.
Maybe by the time I get sick of it - Archos might finally have there act together.... (although too late for me now.)

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You need to be patient. The product announcement does not equate to product delivery. The official product delivery announcement for both the Archos 70 and Archos 101 was just last week (See Link) You are like 100s-1000s of others who wanted it the day it was announced back in September.
There are variables which are hitting all of the major Tablet production lines. The primary one is Capacitive screen production. There is a near monopoly by Apple on the large screen capacitive screens being created. Apple is buying them up to keep up with IPad production. This is causing shortages for everyone else. Since they do not care about the 7 inch screen, these are in greater supply.
Archos is also known to have only released the 2.1 version with the 2.2 update available in December.
I have no idea where you are located. But if you are in the US, I would bet the Archos 101 will be one of the hot items sold for outrageous prices. This reminds me of the "Tickle me Elmos" a few years back. They announced it in Aug. The initial shipment was sold out in hours. and production was not up to deliver to all until well after Christmas.
The 8 Gb 101s sold out with in a day from the Direct Archos site. I am willing to bet if the 16 Gb is placed on their site Monday. It will be out of stock by days end.
I have only had one delay notice from my preorder. I was told originally it would be available about 1-Nov and on 31-Oct received notice it would be shipped on or about 21-Nov. I expect that to be the case.

Bottom line, you can complain, but you will be just as frustrated with the other units which were announced in April and still have not delivered.

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
Mysteriously Delivery/shipping on my Archos 70 was suddenly down to 4 days yesterday and now today EXPANSYS have marked it back out to 18 days #$%@!

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
FCC Testing shows 70 model has passed Looks like they started late though..

TapNClick

Oct 17, 2010
You need to be patient. The product announcement does not equate to product delivery. The official product delivery announcement for both the Archos 70 and Archos 101 was just last week (See Link) You are like 100s-1000s of others who wanted it the day it was announced back in September.
There are variables which are hitting all of the major Tablet production lines. The primary one is Capacitive screen production. There is a near monopoly by Apple on the large screen capacitive screens being created. Apple is buying them up to keep up with IPad production. This is causing shortages for everyone else. Since they do not care about the 7 inch screen, these are in greater supply.
Archos is also known to have only released the 2.1 version with the 2.2 update available in December.
I have no idea where you are located. But if you are in the US, I would bet the Archos 101 will be one of the hot items sold for outrageous prices. This reminds me of the "Tickle me Elmos" a few years back. They announced it in Aug. The initial shipment was sold out in hours. and production was not up to deliver to all until well after Christmas.
The 8 Gb 101s sold out with in a day from the Direct Archos site. I am willing to bet if the 16 Gb is placed on their site Monday. It will be out of stock by days end.
I have only had one delay notice from my preorder. I was told originally it would be available about 1-Nov and on 31-Oct received notice it would be shipped on or about 21-Nov. I expect that to be the case.

Bottom line, you can complain, but you will be just as frustrated with the other units which were announced in April and still have not delivered.

What irks me about Archos is that they have a total disregard for potential customers. I sent a very simple query to Archos concern the availability of a protective case for the 101 and they simply did not answer. As if it really wasn't important of them to take thirty seconds and crank out a reply. This type of arrogance will probably hurt them in the end because potential customers will just take their business elsewhere.

babynomad

Oct 10, 2010
Ok - sick of waiting. Buying the Telstra T-touch tab. At least it has built-in phone and gps. The resistive screen isn't that bad. And all the shops have it in stock now.

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
babynomad

when you get it in and get it tested, please come back and let us know.

i havent seen or heard of that one it shounds interesting

j

droidjules

Nov 22, 2010
A local retailer in Sydney being an Archos sales contact (they sell Archos products in store) ëstimated"itll turn up sometime this week. highly doubtful.minidisc has it in preorder slated for (dont hold your breath) late dec/jan release. im pretty sure to guess around March next year, if we're LUCKY here in Oz. By that time, the LG Optimus (NVIDIA Tegra + 4gb RAM + Honeycomb = woohoo) Acer Liquid, and all the other brands will have their say in the "Tablet Wars", being announced (yet will take ages to get to Oz, hahahaha story of our lives). It's kinda like last year how i thought it would be the era of faster netbooks with windows 7 premium or linux, but alas, don't see the demand for netbooks all that great (mackbook air is an overpriced netbook, albeit a good one). It'll probably be the same for the tabs next year, full of broken promises.

Funny how i dismissed the Ipad as nothing more than shovelware, i could'nt see the demand for it. it was just an oversized iphone that's way overpriced, right? Who the hell will buy it? its too big to take on public transport (saw one on the bus, very unwieldly unless you have a deluxe leather case with stand) Now, brand competitors are stumbling left right and centre, following up on Apple's innovation. They set the trend, wait for others to catch up, and improve on that trend. what's next, an iBike? no wait, really?

Dude, Telstra being Tel$tra disguised a Huawei Tab and branded it inhouse. It has resistive touch but for that price yeah that's pretty cheap, if it only does everything you need, then you deffo don't need stupid Archos stupid Archos! Get your supply and demand mix together dammit! Although Thub only has Android 2.1 (expect Telstra to not help out customers by releasing an update, im pretty sure you can download the firmware update to froyo direct to the tab yourself) , resistive touch screen, doesn't support multi-touch, 200mb only built in memory, SD card expansion, 2-3 hours palpable battery life).

guys, to curb the wait and vanquish the pain and suffering, (which will likely last for 6 months due to Archos' tentative release/shipping schedule, akin to a girl with mood swings) for Xbox owners out there, grab a Kinect (no wait, you're telling me, here in Oz, M$ have done it again and disabled the voice command feature?! due to the Aussie accent being understandable? WTbloodyH?!) no wait that would be a waste of money. Here is a perfect example of what happens when you get the product on day one. Anyone remember how pathetic the 1st Gen Xbox was? RROD?! will definitely be not getting 3DS and psp2 on day one.

Well what i will do to settle the anxiety of waiting is to get a Creative Xfi2. And possibly a new PVR. At least that might take out some of the pain...

babynomad
I spoke to the Archos distributor in Australia today. They are telling me stocks next batch won't be here until mid December, however, they still may not be be able to fill all orders even then....!!!!
So I'm going to finally give up too......

What to get!!!!
Maybe I'll settle on the telstra t-touch, and enjoy the fact that I can put my pre-paid sim into it and use it for cheap internet surfing....
At least it can handle my book reading.
Maybe by the time I get sick of it - Archos might finally have there act together.... (although too late for me now.)

babynomad

when you get it in and get it tested, please come back and let us know.

i havent seen or heard of that one it shounds interesting

j

Andrewinsa

Nov 30, 2010
You guys think you have it bad - in South Africa, we can't even get an iPad through official channels. The Samsung Galaxy Tab has landed (yes, it beat the iPad to market), but you can find 1 in each shop that is supposed to stock them, so also difficult to buy. Archos here were saying Mid Dec, now they are saying January, I am keeping calm and enjoying the excitement for when I finally get one of these cool little things.

Rose4uKY

Aug 1, 2010