Is your GPS working?

stig6

Oct 23, 2011
I got my A500 a few weeks ago. When I bought it, it was on 3.0, and the GPS was fantastic. Found locations within seconds, and I only tested it indoors. Since updating to 3.2, the GPS doesn't seem to work at all.

I'm guessing it's not a hardware problem with mine... something screwed it up since updating to 3.2. Disappointing, I love the stock weather app, but now I can't use it since it can't find my location, and when I manually search for locations, where I live doesn't come up (or even anywhere remotely close! - am I missing something??). Hopefully I can get it to work soon :(

DuckMan

Nov 1, 2011
I got GPSfix and locus free if I run GPS fix first then open either the native client or locus it works just fine. Also with locus you can pre download maps when on Wi-Fi

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I use my GARMIN GPS all day. You will not get Satelite reception in buildings, tunnels, underground carparks and especailly in buildings with metal or reinforced concrete roofs. My A500 with 3.2 finds satelite reception in a few seconds. Just as quick as my GPS.:p

coachman2

Oct 24, 2011
I have read all 11 pages of this thread and am still not able to get a "lock' "fix" using any of the GPS apps.,,, GPS Test, GPS essentials, orGPS Status. I have tried all the suggestions mentioned, but still nothing. All I get is either searching for Gps, or the round timer going around. Also tried wifi on or off, inside or outside, still nothing. I have android 3.2 if that makes a difference.Anyone have any further suggestions,,, i.e. step by step instructions? Also, what happens if you push the small reset button that is located next to the SD card slot? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I have read all 11 pages of this thread and am still not able to get a "lock' "fix" using any of the GPS apps.,,, GPS Test, GPS essentials, orGPS Status. I have tried all the suggestions mentioned, but still nothing. All I get is either searching for Gps, or the round timer going around. Also tried wifi on or off, inside or outside, still nothing. I have android 3.2 if that makes a difference.Anyone have any further suggestions,,, i.e. step by step instructions? Also, what happens if you push the small reset button that is located next to the SD card slot? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Are ypu inside a building?
SD CARD SLOT? The big volume button and the screen lock switch.
or do you mean std USB A female plug? The RESET button - does a factory default reset then you'll have to download all you apps again.
You may be getting RF interference.

damian

Nov 27, 2011
i tried to use the gps in the car, took 10 minutes with the navigation app, for the location to show..way tooo slow

jpinsl

Dec 3, 2011
The RESET button - does a factory default reset then you'll have to download all you apps again.
You may be getting RF interference.

The reset button does not do a factory reset. It's simply a reboot button, similar to Ctrl-Alt-Del in the PC world.
It helped clear up a WiFi issue for me when the tablet locked up. Give it a try.

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
Well I took a road trip and was trying to show my brother how nice the Acer was and the GPS etc. Nope not happening. It never locked on to satellites and never did navigation. Every time we touched the screen the app crashed. \
I ended up using my Android phone and google maps on that.

Very disappointing with the gps not working. I love the unit but the one time I really wanted it to work it did not... So we had 4 hours of driving and using the little phone screen.. At least we had that.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You do understand that you have to start navigation before you leave your wifi don't you?

You start with it already locked on to the satellites, and your destination already programmed in, and navigation mode already activated.

Then, and only then do you drive out of wifi range.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
The reset button does not do a factory reset. It's simply a reboot button, similar to Ctrl-Alt-Del in the PC world.
It helped clear up a WiFi issue for me when the tablet locked up. Give it a try.
If that is so why did my daughter's tablet do a factory reset? Try explaining that one.

EVANGELIONHD

Sep 4, 2011
I finally got my a500 and the gps worked right out if the box while indoors just like my droid 2 and my tom tom for those that claim that their gamin won't work indoors.

Problem... Isn't working now that I'm outdoors so I some the first time was using the agps assisted gps taking the info out of my wifi, I have the tablet tethered to my droid 2 and still no fix location.

I decide to stop here and check the latest post on the issue but this forum seems more like a come post your problems but don't expect a solution.

So I google the issue and found this post Acer Iconia, GPS How to make it work 1st Time. | Old Time Blogger

Haven't tried yet but I'm a about to

stankopp

Sep 28, 2011
Mine would not work at following the OTA 3.2. I was convinced that I had a hardware problem. After installing Thor's latest ROM, the GPS works great!

jpinsl

Dec 3, 2011
If that is so why did my daughter's tablet do a factory reset? Try explaining that one.

Can't explain that one, but I can attest that I have paperclip-reset mine several times and it doesn't do a factory reset, just a reboot. All data remain intact.