just posted on FB page of Barnes and Nobles . NOOK... re update

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
well it looks official now :

You asked, we listened. This spring, use your NOOK Color to send e-mail and explore popular apps like Angry Birds, Drawing Pad, Lonely Planet Phrasebooks, and Wine PhD. Stay tuned here for news about these exciting new features and when the firmware update will be ready. (P.S. Yes! We said Angry Birds!) What apps would you love to see on your NOOK Color?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
A little worriesome they are focusing on email and apps, not web and video. Obviously this is good new but I think many of us here are looking forward to fully supported flash since we already have access to apps.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
The key note of mention is that they talk about Flash... this means the update is moving from Android 2.1 (Eclair) to Android 2.2 (Froyo). Nice step that was promised for first quarter 2011 and they are making it just in time.... wait, no they're not. lol

jfree901

Mar 20, 2011
I am excited about the update. My biggest concern though now is should I install CWM to block the update or reset my book back to stock and update the day of and way for the new upgrade to be rooted.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am excited about the update. My biggest concern though now is should I install CWM to block the update or reset my book back to stock and update the day of and way for the new upgrade to be rooted.

Why would you want to loose the ability to use your rooted nook by reverting now and waiting for an autnooter? I say block, enjoy your rootedness and then update when a new autonooter is out which should be pretty quickly after the update is released. That way you don't skip a beat.

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
A little worriesome they are focusing on email and apps, not web and video. Obviously this is good new but I think many of us here are looking forward to fully supported flash since we already have access to apps.

I thought we did have fully supported flash ???

Mine is running Flash 10.2 and it works fine.

jfree901

Mar 20, 2011
One concern is we do not know how the update will affect a rooted nook at this moment. I would like to test out the new firmware without worrying about any issues having to remove CWM when reverting back to stock. It is just preference.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I thought we did have fully supported flash ???

Mine is running Flash 10.2 and it works fine.

We have fully unofficially supported flash from custom ROMs running 2.2 and 2.3 ;) I meant from implementing it on a 2.2 build native to Nook as modified by B&N. They might do the work of supporting hardware acceleration so the outside devs don't have to.

One concern is we do not know how the update will affect a rooted nook at this moment. I would like to test out the new firmware without worrying about any issues having to remove CWM when reverting back to stock. It is just preference.

jfree, you're right, we don't know what the update will do (though it will most likely be good news), so if you are happy with your Nook as it is you are better off not doing the update until we do know. The best option to play with it would be to nandroid whatever you are running when it comes out so that if you don't end up liking it you can use a bootable SD to flash your nook back to its current state with no issues.

*edit* I should also point out that removing CWR and restoring to a completely stock device is a very simple process at this point by following this http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html

Last edited:

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
If you are running a clockwork recovery, it "should" block the update. It has on every other device.

But then again who knows.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

All updates, if installed to a rooted NC, will break root. Since this next update will most likely be a complete operating system change to android 2.2, it probably won't be a normal OTA, where it updates without your permission. The update will also most likely come with a warning notice, informing you all data will be loose (wiped) and you need to backup all important info which you may have either downloaded or sideloaded to internal storage.

All previous b&n update where minor fixes to the existing operating system (android 2.1), therefore there was no need to inform you or get your permission to install.

rfronz1

Mar 16, 2011
hello, i am new to the rooting process (rooted my NC just a few weeks ago - worked great). how do i stop the auto update that BN will put out? not familiar with CWM. thank you in advance..
Rob

chris30673

Feb 4, 2011

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
"does the revert process cover me for returning a unit if they do check if i rooted it? "

Yes, they can't tell anything after it's returned to stock, it's, well stock after that. It doesn't leave any evidence behind of ever being rooted.