[Kernel][Eclair][Froyo][CM7][Honeycomb] Dalingrin's OC kernels

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
Overview
-In addition to the general CPU overclock the DSP and possibly the L3 bus are overclocked to levels comparable to other higher end OMAP3 SOCs. This should result in a minor speed up in video decoding among other things. Occip pointed out that the L3 bus is set in the boatloader and kernel values are ignored. I still need to investigate this.
I feel comfortable with the overvolt used in these kernels for a few reasons. Omap cpus automatically reduce voltage based on load and stability. The voltage gating in omap processors is very advanced. Absolute voltages set in the kernel are only a maximum for a given clock rate. The cpu should seldom reach the defined maximum. In addition the highest overvolt used is very small ~0.05v.​
Common Features
-Overclockable to 1100mhz and 1000mhz. Must be set with an app like SetCPU unless running CM7. CM7 has overclocking under Cyanogenmod settings. DO NOT use SetCPU profiles with CM7.
-****Small overvolt**** compared to the stock 3621 specs. This is running at the same voltage as the omap3630 which is very similar to our CPU.
-Available clock speeds: 300mhz, 600mhz, 800mhz, 1000mhz, 1100mhz
-Increased volume on external speaker and headphones
-Touchscreen workarounds for sluggish response on first boot. This is a workaround/hack from deeper-blue, please thank him for his work!
-Partial fix for strange touchscreen edge behavior also brought to you by deeper-blue.
-Various performance tweaks.​
Now posting all kernels to one directory on mediafire. Be sure to choose the correct kernel for your install!
Kernel breakdown:

Eclair Kernels
-For use with Eclair ONLY.
DOWNLOADS:
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
Froyo and CM7 Kernels
-Froyo and CM7 Only
-Cache line check race condition backported. Support for CM7.
DOWNLOADS:
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
Honeycomb Kernels-This is for Honeycomb v03+ only.
-Contains code to rotate touchscreen and accelerometer at kernel level
DOWNLOADS:
These kernels are not playing nice with honeycomb.

Last edited by a moderator:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Nice post lifeisfun. Now I can run 1Ghz more stable than before. This is great news for all those would needed the stock voltage. See Stelv, said there would be more kernels released for the NC.

Here are the new kernels for those of you not a member over at xda:
kernel-1ghz.zip
kernel-950mhz.zip
kernel-stock.zip

Again use at your own risk. :)

Remember, place zip file on root directory of your SD card and wipe cache partition and dalvik cache in CWR before flashing.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
My NC is not liking these new kernels, haven't tried the omap3630 ones yet.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update: I'm good, just didn't give it enough time to boot. It looked like I was stuck in "nook color" screen, but I wasn't. The first book just takes an unusual 4-5 minutes to boot.

Wow 1Ghz (with new kernel) is smoking fast !!!

rainmakerrc

Jan 11, 2011
Just flashed the new 1.1 ghz kernel. Working great so far!

Sent from my NOOKcolor Android Tablet using Android Tablet Forum App

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
I jumped right to the "kernel-1100mhz-omap3630.zip" and it booted right up, seems stable, and gave me a quadrant score of 1249. Wow! More importantly, I can actually really feel the zippier performance.

HOWEVER, it still can't handle standard-def divx movies (using rockplayer) without stuttering and loss of audio-sync. With 1100mhz, this should not require hardware decoding. But I'll stop there since it's not germain to the thread. Well, maybe it is: the 1100mhz kernel is stable and swift, yet will not make your software -decoded videos play more smoothly.

MannyPR

Jan 15, 2011
I am running 1.0ghz and it is very stable and doesn't seem to impact battery life significantly. It feels a lot snappier! No FC's or any other issues so far. Very pleased although was very apprehensive about doing it at the beginning.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I jumped right to the "kernel-1100mhz-omap3630.zip" and it booted right up, seems stable, and gave me a quadrant score of 1249. Wow! More importantly, I can actually really feel the zippier performance.

HOWEVER, it still can't handle standard-def divx movies (using rockplayer) without stuttering and loss of audio-sync. With 1100mhz, this should not require hardware decoding. But I'll stop there since it's not germain to the thread. Well, maybe it is: the 1100mhz kernel is stable and swift, yet will not make your software -decoded videos play more smoothly.

Hmm I only got 1207 at 1.1Ghz. :( You running setcpu?

And the video playback will get better with 2.2, remember 2.1 can only use 256mb of ram.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
A few benches from last night, finally match my HTC Evo at 1Ghz running 2.2.

NC @ 1Ghz running kernel-1000mhz-omap3630
8a368bcc.png

NC @ 1.1Ghz running kernel-1100mhz-omap3630
769e1c61.png

bdholsin

Jan 18, 2011
Outstanding. Thank you for the hard work on these new kernels. I'm rocking on the 1.0Ghz OMAP kernel now. Maybe I'll get brave and try the 1.1 tomorrow. For now I can't see the need for the last 100 Mhz if the current kernel is flying along nicely. I'm quite pleased.

bdholsin

Jan 18, 2011
I didn't create these kernels but you can thank dalingrin over at xda.

Here are the other 2 kernels he made:
kernel-1000mhz-omap3630
kernel-1100mhz-omap3630

Yeah, I realized you weren't the originator but I'm not an XDA member and I was hoping the developer was browsing this forum. However, you are the bearer of good news (at least to me) and were willing to give the kernels an early test run so I thought I'd give you kudos.