Looking for tablet info

Ehud

Dec 3, 2010
Hi all,

Looks like I am not the only one here that is overwhelmed with all the information her and online.

I guess to start I will tell you that I bought my wife a Sony Reader Touch (prs-600) last year for Christmas. She really liked it and used it almost daily until ... our five year old spilled apple juice on it. Or should I say in it, I pulled the cover and it is absolutely IN it! I am going to try and clean it out when I get back home but I don't think it will work.

So I am hoping to find her a tablet for this Christmas. However, there are so many here and on the way with all different configurations that I am hoping you great people can help me narrow the field.

She only used her reader as a book reader. Recently I installed an emulator on her pc that has a partial market on it and she seems to be enjoying it. She is more in to java style games like Papaya Farm, Card Games, board games, etc. She also need to check her email and Facebook pretty often. She only goes out to a few places, all of except one I can think of have pretty good wifi, including home so I would like to avoid the 3g/4g charges. She is getting ready to go back to college and I think a tablet would be a good addition to her school supplies also. I talked to her once before about the size of the Sony reader (6") and that we should have gotten her the 10", but she refused that idea and said they were to big for what she is doing. So I would say a 5"-7" would be a good size, with school and possibly taking notes and reading a lot I would probably go with the 7". Prefers a matte screen (outdoor readability), are they available on tables right now?

I kind of like the Archos 70, but the support from them is a real turn off. I also like the Adam but it is not out yet and its a 10". I have seen quite a bit of talk around here about the Huawei tablets and one or two others some good some not so good, but I have never heard of them until today.

Is there a tablet with a "full" Google market? I know the market is based on the type of phone you have in some aspects but I see a lot of them use AppsLib and some other company specific "markets".

I would prefer not to mod it, she is always afraid it wont work and I would have to do it without her permission :rolleyes:

I hope this is enough information, I have been looking around for a few hours and am a little scatter brained right now. I will get ack to trying to read some more and wait for a reply

Thanks for any information!

Ehud

Dec 3, 2010
ok, i just found this

Witstech A81E+ (with G Sensor)

Any experience with this? I don't see it under the manufacturer threads....back to reading

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
You can find a comparison between different Android tablets at the link in my signature. Hope that helps.

Ehud

Dec 3, 2010
I'm getting page not available on that link. I will check it on my laptop in a bit.

mgr52

Nov 11, 2010
I get that error message also.

If I were you though I would browse the tablets on merimobiles website. They have video reviews and reviews where customers ask questions and they get answers.

jlaubin

Oct 24, 2010
look at the nook color.. it does't have a true market, but is an excellent easy to use reader with video and gaming...look at review in cnet.com.. Archos is a good unit but no one has them available..witz has repair service in china...

Ehud

Dec 3, 2010
I agree merimobles has a lot of info, as I narrow down what I really want I keep checking there.

Ehud

Dec 3, 2010
I looked at the nook once before, but I will take another look. I like the Archos but availability is rough

Ehud

Dec 3, 2010
Is there a difference in the Wits A81G and the Nationite MIDnite? They look slightly different but seem to have the same descriptions.

Thanks again everyone

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Quite simply, One says MIDDnite the other says WITstech. Internals are the same. There are a couple of others W1060, and a few other personalized names. They are the same at the core. The difference is likely what is installed as part of the Firmware build by the final manufacturing step.
If you went out on AliExpress, you will see many that do not say WITstech, A81, MIDnite or anything. So you could personalize and offer a "MIDehud"
(I am not joking) :)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
look at the nook color.. it does't have a true market, but is an excellent easy to use reader with video and gaming...look at review in cnet.com.. Archos is a good unit but no one has them available..witz has repair service in china...
Just picked up the Nook Color. I was very pleasantly surprised.

-Matt