Need help picking a tablet

dajon

Aug 6, 2010
I want to buy a table for my wife for her birthday. I have a list of must have features and a list of would be nice to have features. Can anyone point me to a tablet that has most of these. I would really appreciate the help, I have been browsing all day trying to find the magical unicorn tablet that doesn't seem to exist. (They all seem to say Pre-Order). Thanks!

Must Have
----------------------
Android Market Access
7-10 inch screen
Wi-Fi
Fast Processor (would like to play 3d games, 1080p video)

Would be nice to have
----------------------
HDMI Output
3G Access

dajon

Aug 6, 2010
euogo.com only has one 10 inch, and it seems high priced. The Wiipad is $231, but their website says pre-order, and I haven't been able to find anyone that has received one yet even though they claim to have shipped them.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
As much as it pains me to say this, but get her the iPad. Android tablets don't match up right now.

Dell Steak and maybe Samsung Galaxy Tab aren't here yet.

If the TCC8902 platform was stable, it would have matched ALL your specification needs. But the g-sensors don't really work in those things, and no market. It has everything else.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
They stopped listing that on their mainpage, if you haven't noticed already.

But that thing right now is a heap of trouble

Battery life is quite horrid as well.

dajon

Aug 6, 2010
Here is what they sent to me back and forth answering my questions about the device, processor, gaming/video playback, android marketplace.

"Hi, you can checkout our facebook fan page ( you can find the link on our home page Enso - zenPad Android mobile internet devices ) for all latest updates. Currently this device ROM was unstable but we managed to find a good replacement ROM, shippings will start in 48-72 hours after weekend. We are sorry for the delay but we are sure that is in your interest to get a stable device.
You can checkout about the ZT-180 scandal here if you havent already :
ZeniThink ZT-180 Specifications Faking, Not ARMv7 A8-Cortex!!
On a side note, delivery to Indiana should take 3-4 days from Hong Kong. Thanks for your interest."

"It is the ARM11 listed on the page. If you follow the post it will be clarified. Moreover the newROM adds increased stability."

"Well, we tested some games on in with the new ROM and they were working, like Fishing2go and another car game.
It plays videos at 1080p on youtube but the android market place does not work ( there is an hack available to make it work )."

"Well we will ship the device with the new ROM already installed. So you won't need to do any hack.
For the future 2.2 froyo update we will provide clear and easy informations on our website about how to proceed, along with files to download."

I also found a forum post from a company representative from yesterday speaking about this replacement firmware.

http://www.slatedroid.com/non-listed/3517-enso-10-andorid-2-1-$199-5.html

"zenPad 4 ROM upgraded
Hi,

Regarding our mention of Cyanogen, we do not have anything to do with them, we are just trying to hack their opensource ROMs to try overcome some of these shanzhai devices limitations.
We can confirm that the ROM released at :
Android Firmware 0804 Download : Android
will solve WiFi stability issue, improve overall touchscreen response,speed and video playing ability.
We'll be shipping the devices with this ROM pre-installed.

Thanks
Enso Staff"

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Ya. I'm on that forum too and was heavily involved both of those discussions.

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Hi Xaueious,
Please, please... see this mes. and reply immed as I want to order today Sat. 7th Aug @10.40 AM Los Angeles time.
I just need a robust Apad with reliable and functioning hard/software to do : Email/Ebooks/Browse/Music/watch cricket,soccer video and MOST IMPORTANT con nect to internet with USB Modem, as I will be trfavelling to places where no wifi, but cell phones function. Price $ 120/150. Required by Aug. 25th. Can you give me a model and site to buy from. Many thanks.
In Desparation,
Vijay

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
1080p you going to need a fast CPU I am sure those are coming. For now 720p on GenTouch 78. I had tested that with 1080p True Blood Show from HBO HD. It was very clear to watch an there was no video or audio sync issues. Again too much focus is based on Android Market place where there is so many other sites to get the same stuff. I can't let go of my GenTouch 78 always with me. Knock-off brand name one would be great if the CPU was faster. Firmware would need to be 2.1. It does have 3G features, Airport mode where as the GEntouch 78 model doesn't. Maybe the next Gentouch will have these missing features. Android OS seems fun to use but the hardware behind needs to be A-1. Not B-Grade devices.

iPadhater

Aug 8, 2010
I say you wait or like our admin says get an iPad -shudder-
Wait till September for something great like the Wetab ! Good luck

iphadke

Aug 8, 2010
Check out the
SmartQ T7 and SmartQ T7-3G: MID Phone Netbook MP4 -- China Mobile
Witstech A81E: Witstech A81E Android 2.2,Android Market+Free Case+Removable battery Youtube Fullscreen

The T7s are supposed to have a HUGH 4500mAH bat. The A81E is shipping with Froyo if that rocks the boat. None have direct market support however except the Archos 7 Home tablet.

As far as I know anything that is Rockchip based can only go upto 1.5. You should go for atleast 1.6 or better.

I have one cheapo unit on order from www.digitalandroid.com (RS10-PAD)

Hope this helps!

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
iPAD ouch! Better choices out there for much less. You need Android 2.1 or higher.

dajon

Aug 6, 2010
I ordered this one from Merimobiles
7" Lenpad adroid 1.5 Google Apps
I decided to compromise a little on my requirements, seeing as these devices are in their infancy, and there are no major brands out yet. After watching the video review, they said this tablet did awesome at fullscreen youtube videos, gmail, and I think web browsing. I really don't need hi-def video, or HDMI out as I will most likely buy a HTPC at some point to hook to the TV. Since this is primarily for my wife, I didn't have to have the 3D games, that was more for me. I went with the 7 inch instead of a 10 because it will be easier for her to carry it with her (in a case, in her purse, or whatever). I guess market access isn't necessary since it is so easy to download APK files to install, I am a computer tech but am new to android so this will be good for me to have in the house to support.

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
I ordered this one from Merimobiles
7" Lenpad adroid 1.5 Google Apps
I decided to compromise a little on my requirements, seeing as these devices are in their infancy, and there are no major brands out yet. After watching the video review, they said this tablet did awesome at fullscreen youtube videos, gmail, and I think web browsing. I really don't need hi-def video, or HDMI out as I will most likely buy a HTPC at some point to hook to the TV. Since this is primarily for my wife, I didn't have to have the 3D games, that was more for me. I went with the 7 inch instead of a 10 because it will be easier for her to carry it with her (in a case, in her purse, or whatever). I guess market access isn't necessary since it is so easy to download APK files to install, I am a computer tech but am new to android so this will be good for me to have in the house to support.

Hi Dajon,

BUT it has a VIA CPU - beleive me you will age before you get anything to work on it. I am no expert, but ask people like Xaeious, Probbhie, Joshua and they will endorse what I say - I too am in the market and have been reading up for last 2 months. Hate to see you waste $130/ appro.
but get a Rockchip from what everybody says. Good luck.