New Firmware 2.1.04 (2.1.4) Replaces 2 .1.2/2.1.3

Gin Martini

Oct 20, 2010
Love Archos for that! btw, I did a clean format installation on mine when it was for 2.1.3. How can you see if you have 64mb of memory now?

what Archos said: "Memory: enable 32MB swap by default and increase it to 64MB after Android reset or full device reformat"

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I use Android System Info. There are two values shown Internal Memory and RAM. Internal shows 299.44Mb total against 238Mb RAM. This has increased since my update 2.1.4
There are other apps common to discover how much memory. Some like Terminal Emulator and the command line Free will show the memory values

hougie

Jan 31, 2011
I still have problems with the new firmware.... Internet is still not working like it should,full wifi but no internet connection.When I start the device back up,it works like for 5minutes and then no connection....very frustrating

karel jansens

Feb 1, 2011
This is probably not relevant, but I had the same problem with my PepperPad3. It turned out the WiFi module was kaputt. Of course, in the Pepper it was a relatively easy swap of a bog-standard plugin module...

Apparently, a "leaking" transistor causes this sort of behaviour. I'd RMA the101 if I were you.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Not sure if this is to blame, but now I do not come in as root when I run adb (shell or commands). Pretty sure I had it last night while at 2.1.03.

Anyone else?

hougie

Jan 31, 2011
This is probably not relevant, but I had the same problem with my PepperPad3. It turned out the WiFi module was kaputt. Of course, in the Pepper it was a relatively easy swap of a bog-standard plugin module...

Apparently, a "leaking" transistor causes this sort of behaviour. I'd RMA the101 if I were you.

What do you mean by that?
Now I've put the 2.0.7 firmware on it and my internet works fine now,just can't download from market.

karel jansens

Feb 1, 2011
Return Merchandise Authorisation: Ask the manufacturer or seller for the procedure to send back a defective item.

Maybe it's indeed the firmware, but I remember during my ordeal with my Pepper Pad that the behaviour of a faulty WiFi module can be completely erratic; sometimes I had perfect coverage for days.

Incidentally, and not related, the Pepper has one of the best transceivers I've come across. The worst is, obviously, the poor Archos PMA430, which managed to gett less range than standard bluetooth. Otherwise a great machine. The 101 is in the "Meh..." range.

jkane

Jun 23, 2010
Went ahead and set up EXT3 and added the 64Meg swap partition this weekend. Had to do a backup so went ahead and upgraded to 2.1.04 also.

It set the CPU speed back to the middle setting. I was getting frustrated since it seemed so much slower, and then realized that might have happened. I set it back to full speed, and it is back to where it was.

The power light won't go out though. Still not sure why, but it is on all of the time. I guess it might be a config setting that I missed after the reset to get all the file system changes in place.

The screen snap where off and on makes it slide to the left is worse than ever. :-( I use Zeam, and took advantage of this reload of everything to move the most common things to the first home screen. Yes, that screen is stable. But the others seem to have gotten worse than they were before.

All my apps worked. Nothing spectacular that I can tell.

Not sure if it's better or faster or anything else that makes me say this is a gotta have, including the 64 meg swap and ext3. It didn't break anything except the power light on all the time.