New Gadget guy here..IMO & Qs?

MrGadget

Apr 14, 2011
I recently picked up a Sylvania unit at CVS.......

Price hard to beat, not too shabby, can NOT afford 1/2 a iPad.....lol

Strange...MY unit has NO HDMI port, yet the model # SYNET7LP?
model SYNET7LP
FIRMWARE DG2.01
KERNEL 2.6.32.9

Battery life first cycle, charge out of the box was only aprox 1 hr, after a couple cycles I am getting 2.5 to about 3hrs/per charge, not bad could be better. (BTW mine would NOT even powerup out of the box till charged.

I have been reading here for a few days, added a few aps, some are just GREAT! First using slider? then got the amazon store app for more stuff. I was able to download a few to microSD on the WinXp unit them install on the 7LP and work.

This android stuff is NEW 2 me, a bit quirkey but functional after playing with it a bit, mainly takes getting used to it. Touch screen could be better (could be worse i guess) WiFi works GREAT so far.

I got this with the idea of a mothers day gift for my wife. She often misses her Y & R soap. PROBLEM is no FLASH player that will play the video on cbs.com. I ahve been looking, may not in the right place for a flash player that will work, need flash 9 or 10 min but the ones I found require android 2.2 or better. :p

QUESTION? is there a flash player that will work on this tablet AND play the Y&R video on cbs.com? or where can I find an UPGRADE to the OS?

QUIRK...biggest bug for me is the screen ROTATE, I often accidently rotate the screen trying to hit HOME, so I have to keep rotating again and again to get back. Can I MOVE that dang rotate icon/button elsewhere? a sysapp that list features CLAIMS there is a orientation sensor, but no way to get it to FUNCTION?:confused:

BOTTOM line........ not bad for under A c-NOTE.

MrGadget :cool: (thanxs heap for any helpful info)

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
Update 2.2 using the method posted on this forum.

Sent from my p7901a using Android Tablet Forum App

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Strange...MY unit has NO HDMI port, yet the model # SYNET7LP?
model SYNET7LP
FIRMWARE DG2.01
KERNEL 2.6.32.9

The "Model number" is hard coded into the "Settings.apk" used on both devices the SYNET7LP and the SYTABEX7 so it will always report SYNET7LP and that it DG2.01. Even after updating to DG2.20 it will still display SYNET7LP.

Battery life first cycle, charge out of the box was only aprox 1 hr, after a couple cycles I am getting 2.5 to about 3hrs/per charge, not bad could be better. (BTW mine would NOT even powerup out of the box till charged.
Battery life is perceived to be better after the device is manually updated to Android version DG2.20

This android stuff is NEW 2 me, a bit quirkey but functional after playing with it a bit, mainly takes getting used to it. Touch screen could be better (could be worse i guess) WiFi works GREAT so far.
There are some tweaks regarding WiFi and Touch Screen referenced in this post - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...resources-synet7lp-sytabex7-disgo-6000-a.html

Last edited:

MrGadget

Apr 14, 2011
I have no clue where to even look for the 2.2 update or any other files that might be needed?

MrGadget

MrGadget

Apr 14, 2011
Sorry I do not speak androidese, and HAVE read the above link, guess I misssed the LINK to any needed files etc.

Sorry I bothered trying to ask a SIMPLE Q asking here, thanks for nuttin so far

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry I do not speak androidese, and HAVE read the above link, guess I misssed the LINK to any needed files etc.

Here's a few getting started http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...resources-synet7lp-sytabex7-disgo-6000-a.html that address some of the items noted.

Flash is installed with the manual update described in http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...date-synet7lp-sytabex7-android-2-2-froyo.html

The update files that have been identified are liked here as well - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/12785-infotm-update-wrap-files-bin-ius.html

Last edited:

MrGadget

Apr 14, 2011
Thanx cfrockit................

will download the links and TRY it.....

MrGadget

MrGadget

Apr 14, 2011
I downloaded the Zip and other files......

Zip nada nuttin nowhere...... The ZIP file will not unzip and its obviously not a self extracting file, so was unable to get anywhere with the possable, if not unlikely upgrade to 2.2. While it connects to the web, to me its almost useless w/o FLASH.

MIXED bag.. now I wish I had not wasted my money on this otherwise cute device. If I still had the bucks spent I could get a Gtab/pad with better touch screen (same size) instead of getting say a step-up Coby with 2.2 If there is one thing I like about Apple, is the great touch screen. The tiny soft-keyboard on my iTouch is so much better than the hit/miss (even after calabration) than my sysnet7xx.

I find it interesting an OLD early iTouch will play videos from the web yet the new the synet7xx will not. Its been decades ince I even toyed with OS9 a realtive of unix/linix OS.

What I find missing here, for a NEWBIE, is a single step by step process with ALL the files in a logical pigeon hole. For me its hard to follow a work in progress (great feat), however remember I am a newbie to android and the terms offten tossed around have meaning to the experienced droiders, but are strange & unknow (for the ost part) to me. I have not done any type orpgramming in decades.

Please excuse my typos, I try and catch the many I make, due in aprt to my MS, which also sometimes limits my tinkering with tiny tronics these days. It ahs been FUN toying with the idea of making the synet7xx a real quasi pad with redeming value beyond text, and games.

MrGadget

MrGadget

Apr 14, 2011
NEW BUMMER..........

I just tried to access my wifi....... NOT working on the synet7xx????

It tries to connect, is enabled..just NOT working at all.

An app I ahve, great app BTW, gives NO SIGNAL and I am about 2 feet from my wifi source (router).

I know my router and wifi source is working, I tried my iTouch and it connects.

Guess I have a BRICK with just games etc now....

MrGadget

MrGadget

Apr 14, 2011
Does NOT matter now.......

I picked it up, was just sitting on my desk charging, and NOTHING....... I guess the wifi going wacky was jsut a symptom it was dying and now its, as u guys here say now it's jsut a BRICK

Can't even play angry birds or solitaire..........

MrGadget

LSWONE

Dec 30, 2010
Mine was not booting too. I had to unplug the power and press the reset button on the back with the stylus. i then held the power button for about 3 seconds and it booted again.

MrGadget

Apr 14, 2011
update... Earlier today it powered up, but the wifi is still very erratic at best. That alone makes my synet almost useless. One can not surf the web, let alone watch any video stuff with a wifi connection that comes and goes. It's never on long enough at a time to log in anywhere etc. At least I was able to load a few apps before it went into a semi-coma. Last nite I got on the digital gadgets site, left a message, for rapid support. So far NOHTING! Today I called the phone number, when I started to leave a message the phone went DEAD, kinda like my synet..lol

For the price I can overlook a few minor shortcomings, but as it, this thing might as well be a brick. :mad:

I am thinking of looking at a step up unit. One questions is, are all resistive screens as flakey as this one? I guess I am spoiled with the great working iTouch screen, even the tiny keyboard works better and easier to type on.

:confused: I am looking at the Coby 7024, android 2.2 (FLASH) good price but resistive screen. Another more expensive option, a budget pincher for sure is the eLocity capacitive scren with tegra 2 CPU which might be upgradeable to android 3.0.

I like the 7 inch size, its a comfortable size for me.

MrGadget :confused:

MrGadget

Apr 14, 2011
Still NO response from Digital Gadgets, cute name. If I get a response and able to exchange it for a WORKING unit OK, if not then I will ahve to try and take it back to CVS.

I decided on the Elocity A7 w/tegra 2 cpu, 7" screen, I found the size about right for me. I hope the capasitive screen will be better than the resistive screen on the synet. I could not find either the Coby 7025 or 7026, a more affordable alternative. So for $100 more I get I hope a better quality, more powerfull hardware with better odds for future newer OS versions.

I will try and backup what apps I can on my notebook, to put on the new eLocity when it comes.

Its sort of a shame the synet was not more reliable, good size, fit and finish are fine. The resistive screen is harder (than iTouch) to adapt to & use. My hope is DG wil come thru and replace my flakey unit, maybe even with 2.2 and the HDMI.

MrGadget