nookie froyo 0.5.9

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
FWIW, running nookie froyo 0.5.8 from my 4GB class 4 SD card based on this[MEMO]Nookie Froyo is VERY usable now - xda-developers post from XDA. (skipped 5.9 per reccomendation in thread)

I grabbed the image from [ADV][DEV][ROM] Nookie Froyo 0.5.9 (01/11) - xda-developers, and just changed the version from 5.9 to 5.8 in the link to grab the image.

Then just write it to your SD card, insert SD card and the NC boots from it. Seemed easier than installing clockworkmod recovery :)

I installed Gapps using adb as described on the nookcolor portal wiki:NookColor: Nookie Froyo Tips - nookDevs

Flash works, have not installed updated youtube.apk, so that's still broken...

Anyway, if you have an SD card sitting around, and working adb, it's an easy way to play around with a very basic froyo install on the NC.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
May try this next although last time I ran 2.1 off SD, it wasn't greatest experience. Hopefully a flashable rom sometime soon.

csrabear

Dec 25, 2010
I was finally able to get Nookie Froyo working after getting the image from this thread:[How-to]Run Nookie Froyo off SD card - Android Forums For some reason the images that I downloaded from xda developers wouldn't work. I could get it to boot but I couldn't use adb to install any apps. And there was a notification that the sd card was damaged. But all is well now. :cool:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Got a new 16Gb class 4 coming in any day now, so I'll try out froyo on the 8GB I'm currently running.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
took the plunge and tried this - pretty straightforward - got it working ....BUT....no google apps as noted in the instructions - got to install those yourself - and youtube not working yet for me...i'll keep poking though
picked up an 8GB class 4 card for it, img uses only 2GB

Last edited:

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
took the plunge and tried this - pretty straightforward - got it working ....BUT....no google apps as noted in the instructions - got to install those yourself - and youtube not working yet for me...i'll keep poking though
picked up an 8GB class 4 card for it, img uses only 2GB

I think youtube is still broken - least I didn't see any success from a number of methods tried in other posts. About the most exciting I did was install flash and realize it's not all that to have flash running. :)

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
brianF21 from xda just posted a customized froyo .59 image -

basically the image not only let's you boot froyo off the SD card but it comes with a good starter package

-Google Apps added
-New Market with location fixed
-/system/bin/vold fixed
-Camera and Voice apps removed
-YouTube removed (Can't get it to work)
-Dolphin Browser HD added
-Dropbox added
-Mount/System added (if the app does not take up the full screen force close it once)
-Nook Reader added
-Phone and TelephonyProvider removed
-SetupWizard renamed (Can't get it to work. Go into Setting>Accounts & sync to add gmail account after your wireless has been setup)
-Flash installed and updated
-Default Launcher removed
-Zeam added
-Softkeys updated
-Gingerbread keyboard added (Letters are small after boot. Solution: after boot, enter a text box to bring up the keyboard; long press and choose the Android keyboard then long press again to choose Gingerbread keyboard)
----

i burned the image to a 8GB class 4 card from kingston - worked smoothly, booted into froyo, used the market to get file explorr and awesome drop and started setting it up

it felt ok, though to my subjective feel, a touch slower than the rooted 2.1. Youtube still does not work, but some websites i was able to play back embedded videos. i was also able to do flash based chat programs

so very good progress and best of all if you don't like it, just pop the SD card out and you're back to 2.1

Dizmatic

Dec 17, 2010
Nice update to the Froyo. I think I need to go and grab a microsd card today so I can play with it.