Official 2.2 Release for S7 from Huawei - Update? Status = 'Released in Indonesia'

Status
Not open for further replies.

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
Are you guys feeling we are being cheated by Wuawei regarding the Android 2.2 upgrade? If I knew no 2.2 upgrade until April or May, I would definitely have returned my S7 to BB in February. Simply waiting for s7 Slim is better choice.

So far I don't share your feelings.
Lots of handsets, not to mention "chinese tablets", are still running 2.1 and earlier, and Huawei (as many other manufacturers) has chosen to add their own user interface (I would prefer naked Android, but that's another thread) which I assume must be adjusted to work with 2.2 which adds to the task of creating an upgrade package.

I have been promised a 2.2 software upgrade in March/April (see previous posts by me) and thus I don't feel cheated as we have just entered April.
Of course, it would be nice to have 2.2 now, or even months ago, but no such promise was made to me, at least.

Christopher
(btw, a wifi Xoom is waiting for me in San Francisco, but the S7 will live on as a toy/personal video player/emagazine reader/Wife's First Tablet(TM), hopefully with 2.2 within 30 days...

Who Dat

Dec 2, 2010
just picked up a nook color yesterday - -tired of waiting - rooted and custom rom already. -- will not comment on this vs that until i get some time in on the nook. Someday - -the S7 will get froyo (at a minimum) - until then - i'm using the nook.

the S7 is going to the 4 y.o. for angry birds, videos, and sponge bob and disney find-it.

JDubTrey

Feb 20, 2011
Are you guys feeling we are being cheated by Wuawei regarding the Android 2.2 upgrade? If I knew no 2.2 upgrade until April or May, I would definitely have returned my S7 to BB in February. Simply waiting for s7 Slim is better choice.

Yep. The S7 is a nice little device, but I would have waited for the Slim if the admins on the huaweidevice site not stated that we'd get 2.2 in March.

My plan was to buy a lower end device (S7, slim...maybe the Nook) now and then get a higher end tablet later after all this Netflix foolishness is settled with Android. For $250 plus tax, I still got a good tab but I would have gone in a different direction had I known it wouldn't be supported with an update. They'll probably never get another dime from me if we don't see it in the next month or so.

JDubTrey

Feb 20, 2011
Starting to think that the 2.2 update is being held back for the S7 Slim launch as a marketing decision. I was told the 2.2 update was ready early this month, engineering-wise. Early this week, tech support still told me that the update was due for end of March. Today, they said the update is in development again.

That's been my fear from the start, but even get the update ready for March if you want to let the Slim have the limelight. It's not like they are JUST realizing that the S7 and Slim would compete against one another. I assumed that (taking them at their word about the update) they would just sunset our S7 by the end of summer, give us an update, and new buyers would be forced to get the Slim.

It makes more sense that we were just plain lied to. What is this "google license" issue and why didn't we find about it before 3/31?

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
I think the google license thing is made up actually. There is an issue with Honeycomb and google refusing to backport it to phones, but there is no such problem with froyo. Not sure you can believe anything that Huawei say.

TheVicster

Nov 14, 2010
I think the google license thing is made up actually. There is an issue with Honeycomb and google refusing to backport it to phones, but there is no such problem with froyo. Not sure you can believe anything that Huawei say.
Personally, I've stopped believing anything that GOOGLE says.

For all of their blah blah blah about the openness of Android, what they are pulling with Honeycomb is a bunch of BS.

Yeah, I realize this is an android forum, and I'll probably get ripped for my comments. but the bottom line is this isn't the first time in the recent past that Google has shown themselves to be less than upfront about things. What is all boils down to is, most people hated MS because of their heavy handed tactics, they when that hate ran it's course they turned their hate towards Apple. At the end of the day, Google is no better than either one of them.

Speaking as someone who uses a Windows based pc, an Apple Iphone and an S7 as my tablet, I owe allegience to and am a fanboy of nobody. And while I still love my S7, I am far less enamored of the android OS. For all of it's being a closed ecosystem, iOS is lightyears better than ANY incarnation of Android. Don't even get me started on the crapfactory that is the Android Market.

Ok, rant off. Now where's my update, LOL

thecastout

Jan 21, 2011
I got off the phone with Honz. He's a really nice guy and all. But, he knows just about as much as we do. (1-877-4-482934) and when they put you on hold, press 0 and you'll automatically get somebody. I asked him about 2.2 He said that he's not really sure, but they are probably holding it off because of the Slim and he said it's no different from the S7 except for the 2.2 part. The accessories he said are in sale in China, so if you have a Chinese friend or a Chinese website you can find them there. Keep the calls coming let them know you're disappointed with the S7 Support.

PS (He referred me to this forum, and he uses this forum for his news :p)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Support for Huawei tablets in China is worse than it is in North America. You can read about it on the Huawei devices forum I linked to the other day. They supposedly have local repair stations for the phones, but I could not find any components for the S7 tablets, despite the fact that they are on sale locally.

Thanks for the update. At least we get the sense that Huawei is just delaying, and not giving up on the S7.

I guess we should try not to make them angry for the time being :D

RoyEP3

Feb 3, 2011
You know what?? fine. Even if I was an android noob and knew nothing about 2.1 and 2.2 and 3.0 and 4.0 and never researched on android tablet forums, I would be okay not having expectations of a 2.2 upgrade. However, this thing has a port on the bottom! Therefore it should at least have the appropriate accessory available for it! /end rant

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
You know what?? fine. Even if I was an android noob and knew nothing about 2.1 and 2.2 and 3.0 and 4.0 and never researched on android tablet forums, I would be okay not having expectations of a 2.2 upgrade. However, this thing has a port on the bottom! Therefore it should at least have the appropriate accessory available for it! /end rant

+1

Sent from my SPH-P100

tri_zet

Developer
Mar 1, 2011
just read today in indonesian forum, some users got 2nd email from huawei (1st email about update delay) informing that froyo update is available now.

Dengan hormat,

Kami ingin mengucapkan terima kasih yang sebesar-besarnya atas kepercayaan Bapak telah menggunakan produk dari Huawei Device, yaitu Huawei IDEOS S7.

Sesuai yang pernah kami sampaikan mengenai ketersediaan OS Froyo untuk Huawei IDEOS S7, mohon dapat menginformasikan lokasi service center Huawei yang terdekat.
Perlu kami sampaikan bahwa aplikasi XL Baca & XL Go merupakan aplikasi yang didisain untuk Eclair OS sehingga aplikasi tersebut akan hilang jika dilakukan upgrade OS ke Froyo 2.2.

Kami sangat menghargai pertanyaan dari Bapak yang merupakan wujud perhatian konsumen kepada kami (Huawei Device Indonesia). Atas perhatian, kerjasama dan pengertiannya kami ucapkan terima kasih.

Salam,
Admin

sorry for indonesian language, but you can translate it.

tried to contact some of service center but no one know yet this update already available.

i will try again to contact service center in next days, hope this information is accurate.

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
Sincerely,

We want to thank you as much as possible for the trust you have been using products from Huawei Device, namely Huawei IDEOS S7.

Appropriate that we have had to make about the availability of OS Froyo for Huawei IDEOS S7, please inform the location of the nearest service center from Huawei.
I wanted to mention that the application XL XL Read & Go is an application designed to Eclair OS so the application will be lost if it is done upgrading the OS to Froyo 2.2.

We greatly appreciate the question from Mr which is a form of attention to our customers (Huawei Device Indonesia). For attention, cooperation and understanding we give thanks.

Sincerely,
Admin

Google attempted it... but it still makes no sense =P Anyone care to clean it up a little?

tri_zet

Developer
Mar 1, 2011
try again to contact customer service, got the same reply
Sincerely,

We want to thank you as much as possible for the trust you have been using products from Huawei Device, namely Huawei IDEOS S7.

Appropriate that we have had to make about the willingness of the OS Froyo for Huawei IDEOS S7, please inform Mr. domicile and telephone number via email: [email protected] so we can inform the location of the nearest service center from Huawei.
I wanted to mention that the application XL XL Read & Go is an application designed to eclair OS so the application will be lost if you do upgrade the OS to Froyo 2.2.

We greatly appreciate the question from Mr which is a form of attention to our customers (Huawei Device Indonesia). For attention, cooperation and understanding we give thanks.

Sincerely,
Admin

the reply is unclear. but is seems to me, because too many people asking for froyo update, the customer service redirecting the questions to technical side (service center) and they will inform when the update is available. :(

but reading this statement, so they know new OS wihout XL read & XL Go applications.
I wanted to mention that the application XL XL Read & Go is an application designed to eclair OS so the application will be lost if you do upgrade the OS to Froyo 2.2.

aaaargh, confusing. i wil try to contact by phone tommorow to make it clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.