Overclocking, how to find out what your nook can take?

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
As I've been finding out from reading around all the android forums, I see that some Nooks cannot take the full 1.1ghz. Is there an app to find out what your Nook can safely take so you don't fry the thing?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
if some nooks cant take it then its probably not save for any nook but people just chance it any ways

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
As I've been finding out from reading around all the android forums, I see that some Nooks cannot take the full 1.1ghz. Is there an app to find out what your Nook can safely take so you don't fry the thing?

I have been running dalingrin's 1.1ghz kernal since I rooted and it is incredibly stable, you should be alright. Make sure you have SetCPU and just bump up the speed a little at a time if you're worried. There are a few threads about SetCPU and profiles in the Technical section and there is some great info to be had there. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

It is my understanding that the oc kernal actually uses less power, hence the stellar battery life, than the stock kernal. So essentially it is doing more with less juice. Therefore the chances of "toasting" your cpu are diminished. Of course there is always a risk. SetCPU makes it dead simple. Just check the "on demand" option, check the "set on boot" option choose your speed, and reboot. The app monitors your activity and only throttles up if you need it. I use the SetCPU widget to keep an eye on the speed and temps.

Honestly I really don't worry too much about it. :cool:And c'mon I get 11+ hours of usable battery life @1.1ghz.:cool:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@KDOG
What you have been reading comes from some NC users running the first kernels that were available that came with a lower than stock voltage setting. The author was trying to save on battery life as well as overclock. Great idea at first but not good for all. Some NC's didn't react well to the lack of voltage, therefore had trouble being stable at 1 to 1.1 Ghz. Since then, newer kernels have came about with the same if not more voltage than the stock NC kernel. Resulting if most all NC owners running well and very stable at 1.1 Ghz.

If I had to guess I believe the NC is capable of 1.4-1.5Ghz with proper voltage but all current kernels are limited to 1.1Ghz. Point being, all Nook color are safe pushing the 1.1Ghz on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2011
I'm using the same 1.1Ghz kernel as Local and haven't had any issues at all. Dalingrin is also involved in the Nook development with CyanogenMod. The extra speed and power savings are great.

aludal

Dec 12, 2010
@KDOG
What you have been reading comes from some NC users running the first kernels that were available that came with a lower than stock voltage setting. The author was trying to save on battery life as well as overclock. Great idea at first but not good for all. Some NC's didn't react well to the lack of voltage, therefore had trouble being stable at 1 to 1.1 Ghz. Since then, newer kernels have came about with the same if not more voltage than the stock NC kernel. Resulting if most all NC owners running well and very stable at 1.1 Ghz.

If I had to guess I believe the NC is capable of 1.4-1.5Ghz with proper voltage but all current kernels are limited to 1.1Ghz. Point being, all Nook color are safe pushing the 1.1Ghz on a daily basis.
My guess rico2001 has a very good point. OMAP36xx might really have been tested at 1.5 GHz, or more at TI back in 2008. My not so educated guess is any ARM "application processor", including OMAP36xx, has some sort of stepping not so unlike those in CPUs with x86 architecture after Pentium. And I'm talking about silicon -- not the kernel steps.
Now, combinations of divisors from CPU clocks to those of GPU/DSP/FPU/RAM/Caches, plus limited core voltages produce sort of islands of stability. I mean, for example, someone can run NC at, say, 900 MHz, or 950 MHz, or 1.1GHz, but not at, say, 999 MHz.
The problem is even more muddied by kernels built by some arbitrary clock tables. And last, but not least the kernel maturity itself matters quite a big bit: I'm of opinion 2.6.29 is on its way out: not even 2.6.32, but 2.6.36/37 are used in "commercial" builds for GB phones.
I'm well aware of the fact that CM Team is experiencing tremendous difficulties in building 2.6.32, but I'm also of a suspicion that SGX/DSP/Flash 10.1 or 10.2/YouTubeHD will start working on such or later kernel.

fineoils.blogspot.com

surfmly29

Mar 16, 2011
I have been running dalingrin's 1.1ghz kernal since I rooted and it is incredibly stable, you should be alright. Make sure you have SetCPU and just bump up the speed a little at a time if you're worried. There are a few threads about SetCPU and profiles in the Technical section and there is some great info to be had there. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

It is my understanding that the oc kernal actually uses less power, hence the stellar battery life, than the stock kernal. So essentially it is doing more with less juice. Therefore the chances of "toasting" your cpu are diminished. Of course there is always a risk. SetCPU makes it dead simple. Just check the "on demand" option, check the "set on boot" option choose your speed, and reboot. The app monitors your activity and only throttles up if you need it. I use the SetCPU widget to keep an eye on the speed and temps.

Honestly I really don't worry too much about it. :cool:And c'mon I get 11+ hours of usable battery life @1.1ghz.:cool:

Hey Local - quick noob question (for confirmation on my side). I am running rooted stock NC at the moment, have SetCPU, Rom Mgr with CWR all set, newly created full nandroid backup and all. Looking to play with overclocking a new kernal and just wanted to confirm one thing. In the thread you mentioned/linked above (been through that a lot lately) do I just choose the stock kernal (dalingrin's) and go for it? I just wasn't sure if you needed a custom ROM as well or if playing with a kernal in the stock ROM was still legit. Not ready to go to custom ROM yet as I do like the NC built in reader (have kids using the kids books on trips, etc).

Thanks!

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
As long as you have the proper kernal you should be fine. This MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service in the stock NC 1.0.1 oc kernal

this Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire is all of the oc kernals.

and this http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html is the best place to start.

One other thing "Not ready to go to custom ROM yet as I do like the NC built in reader (have kids using the kids books on trips, etc." If this is the only thin keeping you from a custom ROM the NC app is available in the Market and works much the same as the built in stock reader. I'm on CM7 nightlies and I have to say with the addition of Bluetooth and newly working video(Youtube) it really is amazing what this thing can do.

:cool:But to each his own:cool:

surfmly29

Mar 16, 2011
Thanks Local... I am running 1.1 (autonooter 3.0) not 1.0.1. Would this be the correct kernel:
update-eclair-dalingrin-OC-emmc-022511.zip (for android 2.1 ran off internal memory)

On the other point, I have heard that the NC app from the market doesn't run animated kids books the same and doesn't support magazines.... that was what I was thinking so was keeping stock. However, the more I play with my NC the more I realize my wife should have one as well (and will be able to let the kids play with that one and can just keep it as rooted stock) allowing me to do more with custom ROMs (especially as they get more and more solid). Thanks.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I do believe that is the proper kernal. Just make sure you make a back up before you flash and you should be fine.:cool:

There are several different e-reader apps that can handle just about anything, but I like the "buy another one for the wife" angle. ;)

Also I would wager CM7 is rapidly approaching an RC which would indicate daily stability. I have to say though I really haven't had any issues since n18 or so. The only thing that is missing(that I can determine) on these ROMS is the ability to use "profiles" with setcpu. Everything else is stellar.

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Hey Local - quick noob question (for confirmation on my side). I am running rooted stock NC at the moment, have SetCPU, Rom Mgr with CWR all set, newly created full nandroid backup and all. Looking to play with overclocking a new kernal and just wanted to confirm one thing. In the thread you mentioned/linked above (been through that a lot lately) do I just choose the stock kernal (dalingrin's) and go for it? I just wasn't sure if you needed a custom ROM as well or if playing with a kernal in the stock ROM was still legit. Not ready to go to custom ROM yet as I do like the NC built in reader (have kids using the kids books on trips, etc).

Thanks!

The 'stock kernel' is to put it back to stock (aka 800mhz) so there is no overclocking going on with that kernel...the 1.1ghz kernel for eclair is the one you want, whatever the current version is.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
A%20Clockwork%20Orange%20006.jpg

Your welcome.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
The 'stock kernel' is to put it back to stock (aka 800mhz) so there is no overclocking going on with that kernel...the 1.1ghz kernel for eclair is the one you want, whatever the current version is.

Thanks D, I am humbled by your assistance.