Power Button Question

McBain01

Dec 29, 2010
I rooted my new NC yesterday and everything is working fine. The only issue i am having is with the power button. Before rooting, it worked fine. After rooting, i can turn the NC off as normal, but when i go to try and turn it on using the long press, the screen never flashes and it never turns on. I have to plug it into the wall or a pc to turn it on. I dont think its a bad power button because when the unit is on, i can turn off the screen and power the unit off correctly. It just wont turn on right. Is there a setting somewhere that i am missing?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Is your battery charged or at a decent level? I know when your battery is at an extremely low level, the device won’t allow itself to be turned on until it connected to external power source. How long are you holding down the power button to turn on the NC. Mine seems to need to be held down 4-5 seconds.

McBain01

Dec 29, 2010
power level was at 94% when i turned it off (using the power button like normal). Still wont turn on using the power button. Held it down as long as 20 seconds.

McBain01

Dec 29, 2010
update to the wall plug in method. When plugged in to the wall, the nook light is green on the charger. I hold the power button down and consistently count off 7-8 seconds. When it reaches the 7-8 seconds mark, the nook light turns orange. It will stay orange for appx 3 seconds. So it obviously recognizes the power button being pushed but It never does turn on. I have tried releasing the power button when it turns orange to see if that will jump start it, but nothing.

I looked back over after about 10 minutes or so of being on the phone for work and the nook light was now orange and the unit was on but still not sure why the power button wont turn it on.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Is there any info you are leaving out?

Let’s get some background on your NC:
You are rooted?
What method did you use to root?
Are you using update 1.0.1?
What was the last app or add-on script you installed?
Did you install NookColor Tools?
Did you install any other known NC fix?
Did you perform any sort of script calibration?
Does your screen come on when plugged to usb cord?

McBain01

Dec 29, 2010
Reply's to you questions below

Let’s get some background on your NC:
You are rooted? Yes
What method did you use to root? autonooter
Are you using update 1.0.1? yes
What was the last app or add-on script you installed? just apps, no addon scripts done at all. Not sure which was the last. I havent used them all because i know they may not all work, but i downloaded the following:
Launcher Pro
Astro File Manager
Adobe Reader
Kindle
Angry Birds and Seasons
Beautiful Widgets
Dolphin HD browser and bookmarks to sd
Cachemate for Root users
Dropbox
ESPN ScoreCenter
Google Maps
Ninjump (very addictive game)
Pandora from the market so i stay logged in
espn score center
Titanium backup
G4 TV app
Xbox live stats

I think dolphin browserHD and g4 might have been the last 2
Did you install NookColor Tools? yes it was in autonooter
Did you install any other known NC fix? no fixes installed at all
Did you perform any sort of script calibration? no scripts at all. Not even sure how to do one
Does your screen come on when plugged to usb cord? The unit comes on when plugged into the usb wall charger and when when plugged into the computer. Again, the button works fine when the unit is on, just cant get it to power it up when its turned completely off.

The only other thing i noticed after rooting is that my 16gb sd card is showing it now as a 39mb card. Did i partition it incorrectly? How do i access the remaining gigs to put movies onto etc?

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
The only other thing i noticed after rooting is that my 16gb sd card is showing it now as a 39mb card. Did i partition it incorrectly? How do i access the remaining gigs to put movies onto etc?

Thanks so much for giving all the details you could remember. Your sd card is the problem. Booting with the modified sd card with the auto nooted installed is how you root. Leaving it in your NC, each time you boot, you are telling it to try to root, over and over and over. Power down, or in your case, unplug and remove your sd card. Then power up your NC (without the sd card). Once you are back into your NC, reinsert the sd card and let the NC reformat your SD card back to it’s original size. See instructions here: NookColor Format and partition your SD card back to a usable state - nookDevs

McBain01

Dec 29, 2010
That was it exactly. Thank you so much for looking into this for me. Cant believe i missed the part about reformatting after root.