Requesting Firmware Dumps from Coby Generation 3 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

sokar311

May 16, 2012
Hi I Need help i messed up /system files and my MID8042 won't boot, did'nt boot, so i flashed de 7042 update, it worked but the screen position and resolution is messed up, is there any way you can change the config of the resolution or tell me how to do it?, i am a software engineer how can i edit de file?.

Can someone submit de 8042 dump?, so we can make an update?

Thanks.

Shinisuryu

May 17, 2012
Just got a 8042 today, just rooted it and dumped, thought I'd throw it up here in case it'll help. :D

Only other thing installed besides stock/superuser is Root Checker Pro, hope that's not a problem. If wanted, I'll do as fresh of a dump as possible, restore it and all first.

File wouldn't upload here, I'm assuming because of the size, so I put it on my dropbox. XD

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1510933/MID8042_dump.zip

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
@Shinisuryu

This is great. A number of people have been asking for a 8042 ROM. Perhaps you could start a NEW topic similar to the two for 9042 and 7042 so owners of the 8042 a easily find your ROM.

Shinisuryu

May 17, 2012
@Shinisuryu

This is great. A number of people have been asking for a 8042 ROM. Perhaps you could start a NEW topic similar to the two for 9042 and 7042 so owners of the 8042 a easily find your ROM.

I don't really know much about messing with those files, so I don't think I could do much romming. Though if having the dump lets me recover from any bricking I could do, I'd be open to experimenting.

sokar311

May 16, 2012
Just got a 8042 today, just rooted it and dumped, thought I'd throw it up here in case it'll help. :D

Only other thing installed besides stock/superuser is Root Checker Pro, hope that's not a problem. If wanted, I'll do as fresh of a dump as possible, restore it and all first.

File wouldn't upload here, I'm assuming because of the size, so I put it on my dropbox. XD

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1510933/MID8042_dump.zip

Thanks, i already downloaded the file, i'm getting home from work, will start to see how to root, deodex and include de gapps, i will post later where i am so far.

sokar311

May 16, 2012
I am requesting firmware dumps from Coby Generation 3 (MIDxx42) devices using the Allwinner A10 SoC.
With these I should be able to create firmware restore images to be used for unbricking.

Firmware dump instructions here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...mps-coby-generation-3-devices.html#post205970

Then upload the *.img files and system.tgz you pulled

Thanks

Coby doesn't provide firmware downloads for these tablets, which is why I'm trying to put these together.

UPDATE:

WARNING:
I have tested these on my Novo 7 Elf tablet which has similar hardware and it worked, but I can't guarantee they work on the Coby tablets since I do not have the hardware to test.
Therefore, I recommend that somebody with an already bricked tablet be the first to try it.

Firmware restore images for Coby Kyros 7042:

It was discovered that Coby is using 2 different touchscreens in the 7042 models, goodix and ft5x_ts.

The firmware below should support both touchscreens:
coby_7042_4.0.3_dual_ts.zip (Thanks David for the dump), Confirmed working by David

The following firmware only supports 7042 models with Goodix touchscreens:
coby_7042_4.0.3.zip (Thanks to Joe88 for providing the dump)
md5: 3c014061580d74c4c6b112204f3deb92

Firmware restore images for Coby Kyros 9742
coby_9742_4.0.3.zip (Thanks to RedDeer for providing the dump), Confirmed working by swalker5906
md5: 71a31c954e164a0bb7f19bbd1a143d7a

Flashing instructions:
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

If this works I look forward to seeing some custom ROMs from the Coby community :)

Hi steev, i managed to assemble a complete .img for the 8042 with the file provided by
Shinisuryu on page 16 in this thread, but i have a problem the touchscreen does not work well, some areas will work and other not, also it is offset, any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Robyski

Mar 14, 2012
Hi steev, i managed to assemble a complete .img for the 8042 with the file provided by
Shinisuryu on page 16 in this thread, but i have a problem the touchscreen does not work well, some areas will work and other not, also it is offset, any ideas?

I assume it has to do with the different Display Resolutions. The 9742 is 1024 x 768, the 8042 is 800 x 600, and the 7042 is 800 x 480. The ROM probably needs some tweaking. Are you there steev?

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
@sokar311 - If you get it working, be sure to start a separate thread similar to the 7042 and 9742 so others can easily find to download and report issues so they don't get jumbled with the existing threads.....similar to what is happening now.

skazm

May 22, 2012
re: [h=2]More or less a step by step to root and install GAPPS on the 7042[/h]

Patriotswrath do you think this method will work for 7033?

whupper

May 31, 2012
I root my Coby Kryos MID9742. Everything was fine except for the camera. Now when I try to open the camera app (or some other app tries to access the camera) I get an error:

Camera error
Can't connect to the camera

I tried Googling this but can't find anyone else that hit this. Have other people how have rooted the MID9742 had this problem?

BTW Thanks to everyone for all of the useful information on this thread about how to root the device. It's my first even Android device and I was able to root it without too much stress. :)

Jun 2, 2012
Thanks for your work. My Coby MID7042, which was bricked, now has a display again. Shame the touch part doesn't work though. I've tried both images (dual-ts and goodix) so I wonder if I've bought one with a third variety of touchscreen. Any ideas?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
It is possible, I am on vacation so cant do anything to help,you can see my thread on how to install without livesute, the key is the md5sum on the boot.img if one of the two i posted don't match your boot.img don't flash anything. Via livesuite or via my method.

Before flashing anything root your tablet and use cat command to dump tablet, run a md5sum on your boot.img if it doesn't match either one, then your version is different. So upload your dump, and don't flash anything til a new one is made for you.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2012
Too late to dump the boot.img I'm afaid, tablet was already bricked but the third attempt to flash the dual-ts image gave me touch and I'm running again. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.