[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 9742 - rooted, deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Had you actually looked at the posts on the first page you would have found this this post, http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...t/40568-9742-mbr-problems-such-post-here.html , which mentions this problem and provides a possible fix. I say "possible" because there are at least three different hardware versions of the 9742.

If you want to get back to the original ROM, you really can't unless you made a dump of your ROM before you went and tinkered using Livesuite. The only alternative available to you is to download the nandroid backup of my stock ROM from the Development Index thread, root, install Clockworkmod recovery, restore from the backup, and pray that its hardware version matches yours.

Next time, actually search the forum before you post. Your question may already have been answered.

hofty

Sep 10, 2012
hi. i'm new to site and new to 9742. followed above . got google play -great:- but now no camera. Doh! Could really do with very simple info on how to update file to get camera going again. thx

TheGreenBean

Sep 29, 2012
---- THE WAY TO MUCH DETAILED VERSION ----

NOTE:
YOU NEED NO (Zero) COMPUTER SKILLS OR KNOWLEDGE TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS (DON'T BE AFAID)
WHAT YOU WILL DO: Download ROM File, Download LiveSuite program, Hold 2 buttons and Plug in the USB Cord. Thats all

--- @Steev
posted the custom ROM for MID9742 with Google Play Store pre-installed

---
@Steev posted the custom ROM for MID7042 with Google Play Store pre instaled
[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042 - Rooted, Deodexed, Google Play

HOW TO USE THE LIVESUIT PROGRAM TO INSTALL (FLASH) THE CUSTOM ROM FROM YOUR PC TO YOUR TABLET

Use your PC to Download the ROM you plan to install. Unzip the file containing the ROM. A new Folder Appears. (ROM inside)

Click here to:
Download LiveSuite v1.07 (Save Yourself Many Hedaches, Download this version)
Thanks Patriotswrath
Unzip the LiveSuit folder --- Open Folder LiveSuitPack_v1.07 Folder --- Find and Click the file ( LiveSuitPack_v1.07.exe )

In the same folder:
*** Find the USB Driver Installers: drvinstaller_X86.exe OR drvinstaller_X64.exe OR drvinstaller_IA64.exe ( Try to Install All) Only one will likely install.

Restart your computer PC

Go to the LiveSuit Folder. Start LiveSuit (click on LiveSuit.exe file) A Window Pops-up ---
NOTE: If the little PopUp window disappears - click on the spinning Icon In System Tray Below (PopUp window re-appears)
--- A smaller window appers that reads "Welcome To Live Suit". Click "NO" to close the window. ---

Click the Square cube [ ] icon on the left side of LiveSuit window - Select the location of the New ROM ( .img) you downloaded earlier.

UPDATE:
Power Down Your Tablet (Your tablet must be off during theLiveSuit process. )

During the LiveSuit process, you are listening to make sure your computer PC has Detected your tablet (a Little BUMP sound)
So turn the volume UP on your computer PC to make sure you hear the little BUMP sound.

NOTE:--- If tablet starts during the next step it won't work. You messed up. Just LongHold Power Button to Shut Down (Power Off) you Tablet

With Power off on Tablet: PressHold Volume+ Button ----- Plug USB into Tablet (Still holding Volume + button--- Tap Power Button a few times 5 to 10
(EXAMPLE: If you are Right handed: Hold Volume+ with Right Hand --- Plug USB in with Left Hand --- Tap the Power button 5 -10 times with Left Hand)

When you hear a little Bump sound on you PC --- Release both Buttons Immediately!

The little BUMP sound means SUCCESS!!! --- The Flashing process will start.

A PopUp Window Appears -- Choose Format "YES" Are you sure: "YES" Format

The flashing process starts. Takes about 3 minutes to complete ... Leave the USB plugged in

Your Tablet will Restart (Leave USB plugged In. ---- Takes 5 -10 mi
nutes to complete --- DeskTop appears on your Tablet --- (FINISHED !!!)

Unplug USB

Enter Gmail info. Log-in Enjoy -- Thanks Steev.

SITE ETIQUETTE: If Someone Provides Assistance To You --- Hit The Little "Thank You" Button At The Bottom Of The Post

DRIVER, DRIVER, DRIVER PROBLEMS :::::: Try installing these two programs to your PC. Seem to FIX many driver problems
( PDNet from HERE and //// MOTO Drivers from
HERE or from HERE

-------------------------------------------------
NOTE: @Jscuda70 was havinging problems with LiveSuit until he

"Ok got it fixed, I had to uninstall and reinstall all the drivers and reboot reboot pc thank you for your help.
"

[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042 - Rooted, Deodexed, Google Play

Hi i used your method and it worked thank you very much.However after install my camera's stopped working(kyros 9742-8) is there a fix for this or a setting i missed?
I would really be greatfull for your thoughts.

Barusngoy

Sep 30, 2012
Hi i used your method and it worked thank you very much.However after install my camera's stopped working(kyros 9742-8) is there a fix for this or a setting i missed?
I would really be greatfull for your thoughts.

I got mine working. MID9742-8 - rooted, with google play and all are ok. just follow Redeer's post. I used Steeve's custom ROM. And for the camera and inverted axis see Shini's post. If your hardly to pinpoint the location becoz of inverted axis just use mouse and keyboard for typing - that's what i do. Just new to this forum that's why i don't know how to link. Helping me is much appreciated.

p3r3gr1n0

Sep 9, 2012
This isn't much, just a slight modification of the stock firmware with root, Google Play, and a few other changes.

WARNING:
This firmware was tested on a Novo 7 Elf and it worked fine, but you are solely responsible for its use.
If it bricks your tablet you've been warned.

Features:
- Gapps + Google Play fix
- Rooted
- NetworkLocation service fixed (to pinpoint your location in apps like Google Maps)
- Deodexed for easier modding/theming
- Samsung Galaxy tab fingerprint for better app compatibility

Downloads:
Version 0.1:
cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1.zip

Flashing instructions:
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

Windows 7 64-Bit users, it has been reported that you need to use LiveSuite 1.0.7: LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar

excellent! thanks for the input!!!

Para los que quieran cambiar la ROM les dejo todo lo mismo pero en español.

Y PARA LOS QUE TUVIERON EL PROBLEMA DE LOS EJES, la solución en el mismo post

ROM Coby Kyros 9742 - Rooteada y con Google Play + problemas - Taringa!

Last edited by a moderator:

joeyakaspce

Oct 6, 2012
The "THE WAY TO MUCH DETAILED VERSION" was INCREDIBLY easy to understand... Thank you SO much for all the hard work and help! :)

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Quick answer: no.

The detailed answer: It can be done, but it requires partitioning the MicroSD card so the tablet boots from the MicroSD. Jellybean won't fit on the internal system space.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Quick answer: no.

The detailed answer: It can be done, but it requires partitioning the MicroSD card so the tablet boots from the MicroSD. Jellybean won't fit on the internal system space.

Maybe I misunderstood, but doesn't the 9742 have 8 gig total internal ? Vamp said the 7042-8042 with 4 gig total and less than 400 meg system partition need to boot external. what size is the system partiton in the 9742? If its greater than 400 meg, you may not need to boot external. of course CM10 is only out for the 8042.

The new 8 gig novo7's have jelly bean.

jayson3st

Nov 2, 2012
My main question is it worth customizing the 9742 like this? I just got mine today and am debating doing this. I dont want to have any problems if I install this.
Thanks in advance

jayson3st

Nov 2, 2012
Ok I got it all squared away but my main issues (so far) is that netflix wont open up and slacker radio just sits there and buffers. Anything Im missing?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Thread closed. The information within it will remain for reference purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.