[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042 - Rooted, Deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

samersh

Sep 11, 2012
please help!
i made reset for my rooted mid 7042 and im stuck in boot loop, just the android logo, and i couldnt reboot into recovery. any idea

Oct 8, 2012
I get to the step where I have the bump noise then nothing happens. I am running windows 7 32 bit.

Live suite is open to cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1\cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.img , process says 0% when I start the step below
Your tablet must be Turned OFF
With Power OFF on Tablet: PressHold Volume+ Button ----- Plug USB into Tablet (Still holding Volume + button--- Tap Power Button a few times 5 to 10
(EXAMPLE: If you are Right handed: Hold Volume+ with Right Hand --- Plug USB in with Left Hand --- Tap the Power button 5 -10 times with Left Hand)

When you hear a little Bump sound on you PC --- Release both Buttons Immediately!

The little BUMP sound means SUCCESS!!! --- The Flashing process will start.

A PopUp Window Appears -- Choose Format "YES" Are you sure: "YES" Format

The flashing process starts. Takes about 3 minutes to complete ... Leave the USB plugged in

Your Tablet will Restart (Leave USB plugged In. ---- Takes 5 -10 mi
nutes to complete --- DeskTop appears on your Tablet --- (FINISHED !!!)

Unplug USB

Enter Gmail info. Log-in Enjoy -- Thanks Steev.

I don't get a little pop up window. Should live suit be closed when I start this step? Why is nothing happening after I get the little bump noise.

thanks for your help.

crnrstne

Sep 28, 2012
I cannot get my 9742 to go into the upgrade mode. I get the noise when the cable is hooked up and then that is all that happens.

Oct 20, 2012
I would recommend that anyone who is looking to modify their Coby Kyros 7042 not use this image. I have lost hours of my life to this ROM/image being useless in a brand spanking new tablet from Amazon that I got yesterday. Word to the wise, use Vampirefo's images and recovery, they will save you frustration and may be good for your health.

I am right now watching my Kyros reboot time and again for no apparent reason. If I go to settings, reboot, slide to unlock, reboot, change the wallpaper, reboot, breathe on it wrong, reboot. Startup? Nope, reboot. I have deleted the data/cache at least 5 times and subsequently flashed the image using LiveSuite1.07 5 times as well. Sometimes the flashing works, other times it doesn't.

OH WAIT! It just rebooted, and instead of returning to its previous state, it just rebooted into a factory reset state. Well at least this image is good for restoring your tablet to factory defaults, every. single. time. one way or another.

To the developer, sorry to threadcrap, I'm sure you spent hours of your life on the ROM, but please, don't just throw stuff out there and hope it works. Yeah, I read the disclaimer, not your fault, yada yada, that doesn't mean that what you put out isn't a steaming heap of putrid ***. Next time you get a tablet you would like to enjoy I will write up something special just for you and then I'll hide behind some lack of accountability clause.

Thanks but no thanks. If I had enough plutonium for my flux capacitor I would go back in time and never touch this image.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Honestly, it's not completely steev's fault. He hasn't been here in months so there's no chance in hell of getting an update to the ROM image to account for hardware changes, so he is partly responsible. However, Coby is also partly responsible. They are notorious for changing the innards on these devices based upon available supplies of hardware. In fact, the 9742 has at least three different hardware versions, which makes it impossible for a single custom ROM to cover them all.

That said, I do agree with you regarding what to use. There is a reason why I make it a point to mention in the Development Index sticky that using Livesuite to put Google Play on the tablet may not be the best choice. Because as you're finding out, it's NOT. If you have a way to get the tablet running stable enough to enable USB debugging, you may have a way to go back to stock so you can start over again. Unfortunately, given how unstable the ROM apparently is for you, I don't believe that's going to be an option.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Traveller wrote:

That said, I do agree with you regarding what to use. There is a reason why I make it a point to mention in the Development Index sticky that using Livesuite to put Google Play on the tablet may not be the best choice. Because as you're finding out, it's NOT.

Seems like some kind of updated disclaimer should be at the start of this and all the old livesuite threads It would save you having to pick up the pieces at the end of the threads.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
That would require the OP to edit his post, because I don't believe the moderators will add that disclaimer in simply because we ask for it.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
steev probably won't answer as he hasn't been here in months. We have a better method for getting the Google apps on the tablet now, one that does not involve Livesuite. You can find it at the sticky post at the top of the forum titled "READ FIRST - Development Index and Root Utility".

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Thread closed. The information within will remain for reference purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.