Resources for the SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7/Disgo 6000

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Resources for the SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7/Disgo 6000/SYTAB10MT (SYNET10LP)
- Gathered from users of other infoTM devices

-----
Sylvania "Digital Gadgets"/infoTM and other resources -
Best You Can Get Droid Tablet PC Guide Things to look for when shopping for a Droid Tablet PC
Digital Gadgets Sylvania Tablets page

Digital Gadgets MiniTablet page with Video links, FAQ, Quick Start Guide/Read Me documents, and Feature description
Digital Gadgets support YouTube channel - 7 short "How To" videos
disgo Tablet 6000
infoTMIC Products page (Note: Site translated to English since the English link doesn't work)
Android Tablet Zone (ATZ) - Sylvania Mini Wireless MID Android Tablet's
SlateDroid.com thread Sylvania 7" tablet at Sears
xdadevelopers.com Sylvania SYNET7LP Work-In-Progress thread
ZT-180 Useful resources for the ZT-180 on the Internet:
Wiki:ZT-180_FAQ - Most but not all of this information is applicable to the Sylvania

Development resources -
A Blog About Nothing.: Adb for "dummies"
15 Useful Android Terminal (adb Shell) Commands to Follow | Gadgets DNA
QtADB makes it easy to connect to Android from your PC
BusyBox - The Swiss Army Knife of Embedded Linux
How to Remove Stock Android Apps | Market 4 Android
HOWTO: Unpack, Edit, and Re-Pack Boot Images - Android Wiki
Mounting /system partition in read-write mode in Android at Black God
[ROM]InfoTM X220 (Flytouch II, WOWpad, SuperPAD)

Caution: If your tablet was shipped with Android 2.2 DO NOT UPDATE!
Automatic Update process - This method does NOT work in either DG2.02 or DG2.20. There is a programming error that does not allow the tablet to update. The update file is downloaded and is extracted but fails to burn to the device.

Settings > Update System > Check for Update - May display "Update available" or "Able to update" the "Check for Update" button changes to "Update". Clicking on "Update" downloads the update file and the automatic process begins however, the device reboots without the update applying. The device continues to report an update is available.

Caution: If your tablet was shipped with Android 2.2 DO NOT UPDATE! These update files are beta and months old.
This process was originally intended for the manual upgrade of 2.1 tablets.

Manual update method -
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...date-synet7lp-sytabex7-android-2-2-froyo.html
Introduction of IUW Burning Tools - View attachment $Introduction of IUW burning-20110118.pdf

Auto-rotation "orientation sensor" - Settings > Display > Auto-rotate screen - Initially worked on some DG1.01 & DG2.01 devices. Once updated to DG2.02 or manually updated to DG2.20, auto-rotation has stopped working. A solution has not been identified however, 11.2.1.8 devices replaced by DG work. See this post "older model" versus "newer model". Request an RMA from Customer Service.

Custom Sylvania ROM - None, Work in Progress - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/13447-custom-sylvania-rom-development.html & http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/20966-techvendetta-rom-developement.html

FCC Filing 'XJN-SYPID7901' https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...&application_id=425437&fcc_id='XJN-SYPID7901'

Flash Player 10.1/10.2 is NOT working on DG2.20 - install_flash_player_20101229.apk is installed with the manual DG2.20 "Froyo" update however, the programming to allow Flash to work was not implemented in the BETA update. Several ARM6 version have surfaced with limited results. Search forum for "Flash" as new versions are identified and tested.

Google for Android, Google Experience, gapps - Gmail, Quick Search Box and YouTube are installed with the manual update to DG2.20 "Froyo". Signing in to Gmail creates an "android_id". All other "Google Mobile applications", Maps, Market, Talk, Voice, etc., do not currently seem to be licensed, therefore are not pre-installed. There is an ongoing discussion - Market on 2.2 Sylvania/Disco - Work In Progress. There are also some newer version for Android Market that only require installing the application. Search the forum for "Market" as new version are being identified and tested.

Market -

Not All Tablets Connect to the Android Market

Google doesn't have a lot of control over Android once it gets released to the masses, but they do have control over the Android Market. Until Honeycomb, Google did not approve non-phones to connect to the Android Market. That means if you get a cheap tablet that runs on Android 2.2, for example, it won't connect to the Android Market. You can still get apps, but you may not get as many apps, and you'll have to use an alternative market to download them.

SYNET7LP - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/3173-different-hardware.html internal pictures (with and without "auto-rotate" orientation sensors).

SYTABEX7 -
Model number/Android version - The "Model number" & "Android version" are hard coded into the "Settings.apk" used on both devices, SYNET7LP and SYTABEX7, so they will always report SYNET7LP and either DG2.01 or DG2.20 if updated. (beta4.ius fixes model number)

Pictures - Cvs Pharmacy Sylvania Model SYTABEX7 Mini Tablet Express images (No HDMI port)

SYTAB10MT (SYNET10LP) - See Sticky thread.

Reset methods -
"Factory data reset" and "Factory reset (three finger method)" are different methods of resetting the device. One just removes your personal settings and the other restores the device to factory defaults.

Using a simple PC analogy - A "Factory data reset" is like deleting your browsers history clearing Cookies and saved passwords, etc. Where a "Factory reset (three finger method)" is similar to reformatting your computers hard drive and reloading the operating system.

A "Factory data reset", described in this Digital Gadget's support video Sylvania 7" Android Tablet: Using the system settings, part 2, erases all data on the device. This is accomplished by going to "Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset - Erases all data on device". Applications are NOT deleted just the settings are returned to defaults.

A "Factory reset (three finger method)" will re-burn the Recovery image, all installed applications will be wiped and a fresh installation of the system is installed. The last version the device was updated to will be restored. Some devices don't have an initial recovery and they cannot be "Factory reset". This can be fixed by manually updating the device.

Finally, if you press the "Reset" button on the back of the device with the tip of the stylus, it will turn the device off. No changes are made, the device is just turned off.

Touch screen -
Improve touch screen: The Touch Screen configuration file "/etc/ts.conf" is a symbolic link (also symlink or soft link) to "/system/etc/ts.conf" meaning it's the same file. Described in the post - Zenithink Epad/ZT180/M16 Android 2.1 new Firmware 1126 : Android - Page 22 changing two lines of the configuration file results in better sensitivity.

Change these two line:
Code:
module variance delta=1
module dejitter delta=250
Screen jitter - xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM] XAUMOD Firmware for 8 inch, 2 speaker IMX515 (modded from 1 speaker XAUMOD)
"Tweaking ts.conf may correct some screen jitter on your tablet. If you have screen jitter ts.conf will almost certainly not completely fix the issue. You will need to tweak the numbers for your own tablet to see best results. (Screen jitter is actually caused by a hardware issue.)"

Caution: If your tablet was shipped with Android 2.2 DO NOT UPDATE!
WiFi
Updated WiFi driver -
The tablet has a Ralink Tech Inc. RT2870 Chipset Based USB Wireless Adapter. It's the Wi-Fi Networking 802.11x device built in to the hardware. Just like a Wi-Fi adapter in a computer it uses a driver which can be updated by replacing the binary file possibly providing better performance.

The Linux RT2870 driver is /etc/firmware/rt2870.bin and the Configuration File is /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat

To replace the existing driver "rt2870.bin" download the latest version of the firmware for rt2870 on Ralink Web site - RT2870_Firmware_V22.

Copy/paste the rt2870.bin firmware using RootExplorer and reboot or through adb commands

Code:
C:\>adb push rt2870.bin /system/etc/firmware
C:\>adb reboot
Once device is back on go to Wi-Fi setting > Wi-Fi and uncheck then re-check and scanning returned.

RT2870 Wireless Lan Linux Driver ReadMe document

Auto-connect/Power saving WiFi
User's have reported that WiFi autoconnect started working when configuration file "/etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat" was modified.

Using 'RootExplorer' select the file with a long press that will open a menu, choose 'Open in text editor' and change the "TxPower" value from 100 to 20.

Code:
TxPower=20
20 TxPower is reported to run much cooler and provide better performance. 100 TxPower is reported as meaning 100%.

Credit to the contributors sited

Last edited:

Cat88Extreme

Mar 15, 2011
And I thought I was done modifying this thing. I should have known better. Time to improve wifi and the touch screen.

cfrockit, you really should think about becoming a moderator. I ask a question and then wait for you to reply.

pelermon

Apr 24, 2011
Just got mine back from DG updated to DG2.20.
Your right, Flash Player does not work.
How do you get a flash player to work?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
The following items have been updated in the original post (OP) -

Added link to Sylvania "Digital Gadgets"/infoTM and other resources -
Many of the resources and information in the Wiki:ZT-180_FAQ is applicable to Sylvania devices, not all but most applies. The section on Android & ADB Basics is useful for anyone just starting to understand Android.

SYTABEX7 -
Added note that 11.2.1.5.2.0_beta4.ius updates the Settings.apk that now correctly identifies the device as a SYTABEX7.

Should also note that update seems to improve WiFi connection.

Auto-rotation -
Added note that devices being returned from Digital Gadgets using the Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) process through Custom Service are updated to DG2.20 and auto-rotation works.
SYTAB10MT (SYNET10LP) -Custom Sylvania ROM -
Nothing added here, but some progress has been made and still looking for assistance.

• The multi-part update files (*.ius) have been successfully split into U0, UBOOT, Ramdisk, Kernel, User Data, and System.
  • The system.img has successfully been unpacked to a /system folder where modifications can be made such as changing build.prop, removing and adding applications (.apk), updating drivers (wifi), etc.
  • Still no success in making a new image that can be burned with these updates.
The discussion about a Custom ROM could be moved to the XDA-Developers however, there has been little interest in discussing this device by that huge community Android experts. The Sylvania SYNET7LP Work-In-Progress - xda-developers does not seem to generate much discussion. With a Custom ROM many of the identified fixes could be incorporated for updating.
If anything else needs updating please post.

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
We're still working on betas of 2.2 right? There hasn't been an official 2.2?

Sent from my Sytabex7

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
We're still working on betas of 2.2 right? There hasn't been an official 2.2?

Sent from my Sytabex7
Yes, unless someone figures a way to pull the images from tablets being returned from Digital Gadgets the "beta" update files are the only ones identified.

Without a working recovery or knowing where the recovery image exists, the tablets being returned/shipped with 2.2 don't provide a way of obtaining an "official" 2.2 image or at least the supported version.

The automatic update process still does not function so users wanting their tablets to have the "official" 2.2 update require a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) from Digital Gadgets Customer Service if within the 1 year warranty support with receipt.

Last edited:

petedude

Mar 9, 2011
Installed the wireless update. Tablet seems to run a little more slowly (file has doubled in size!), but seems more reliable. I'll have to try the TxPower adjustment next, but need to use the tablet a bit post-update first.

lohtse

Mar 9, 2011
cant find the wireless update... anyone have a link???

found it lol!!

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Updated Original Post (OP) to add the following tool QtADB makes it easy to connect to Android from your PC to the Development Section.

Back in the day modifying your tablet required grit, determination, and a willingness to understand obscure commands but now there seems to be a very easy to understand application that will allow you to wreck havoc on your tablet without having to know or be bothered with of those arcane commands.

Caution: Enjoy the ease of access to the inner workings of your tablets system but make sure you know how to get out of any mess you create.

MacGuffin

Sep 30, 2012

WiFi
Updated WiFi driver -
The tablet has a Ralink Tech Inc. RT2870 Chipset Based USB Wireless Adapter. It's the Wi-Fi Networking 802.11x device built in to the hardware. Just like a Wi-Fi adapter in a computer it uses a driver which can be updated by replacing the binary file possibly providing better performance.

The Linux RT2870 driver is /etc/firmware/rt2870.bin and the Configuration File is /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat

To replace the existing driver "rt2870.bin" download the latest version of the firmware for rt2870 on Ralink Web site - RT2870_Firmware_V22.

Copy/paste the rt2870.bin firmware using RootExplorer and reboot or through adb commands

Just got one of these tablets for $40. Now I can see why they were so cheap. The wi-fi is atrocious. The link listed here for this firmware update doesn't work anymore, any ideas where else I might be able to obtain the file I need to replace the existing driver. Thanks - Aaron

ssme

Nov 21, 2012
Resources for the SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7/Disgo 6000/SYTAB10MT (SYNET10LP)
A "Factory reset (three finger method)" will re-burn the Recovery image, all installed applications will be wiped and a fresh installation of the system is installed. The last version the device was updated to will be restored. Some devices don't have an initial recovery and they cannot be "Factory reset". This can be fixed by manually updating the device.

How would I manually update the device? I have a Disgo 6000 that won't boot past the Disgo logo, and no combination of button presses seem to make any difference. I have no idea of the hwver, so is there any way to find out?

chasgreghall

Oct 5, 2012
I have the SYNET7LP-DS. It has never booted past the InfoTMIC screen. All posted reset methods don't work. I have finally got my PC to recognize the tablet and it now says "communicating with PC". I have downloaded the IUW burning tool, but I cannot find the specific IUS file for the 12.7.0.12.

Does anybody have this or know of another solution?