[ROM] CyanogenMod - Android 2.2

WhiteWhiskers

Mar 11, 2011
Messed up my install last night. I put the Coby in Airplane Mode to play Angry Birds. The WiFi turns off and an airplane icon appears over the cellphone bars to indicate the tablet is in Airplane Mode. Then when I go to turn off Airplane Mode and turn on WiFi, WiFi comes back on but the airplane icon remains on the cellphone bars.

Then after rebooting several times, the device always defaults to being in airplane mode! Even though I can manually turn WiFi on, it always shows it being in airplane mode! Tried installing several widgets and apps to get rid of the airplane mode icon but nothing worked. It was permanently stuck in airplane mode:-(

Finally got so frustrated that I did a factory reset. That fixed the airplane mode problem. But then the Android Market wouldn't start up, it would always FC. It's been a constant problem with CyanogenMod. Tried several more things including the page I linked to above but it just wouldn't work. Finally got tired of the whole thing and restored the Eclair backup.

So again, do not put CyanogenMod into airplane mode. You will regret doing so....

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I've been using airplane mode ON. I don't get an airplane over the cellphone bars, it's still an X and no bars ON, like it's always been.
I modified a previous script to purge 24 apks. It's Post #22 in
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...terminal-commands-like-reboot-recovery-2.html
So whats different between the our two installs?
I do the basic install, then install the 42 apps I like, then modify the screens wallpaper etc, then purge 24 apps.
I don't have Market installed, haven't yet attempted it.

A few observations about CyanogenMod:
YouTube plays in Opera 10.1 Beta, Opera 11 kept freezing before even trying YouTube. YouTube does not play in Dolphin. I'm using both browsers because I like Dolphin for the web but Opera does file uploads and Dolphin doesn't.
I sometimes see the slow AngryBirds screen.
I had not used ADWLauncher before - so I don't know what is ADW and what is Android 2.2. I'm guessing under Settings->ADWLauncher are the setting/effects it controls.
Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications is nicer than 2.1 as is power down.
Flash should run on Android 2.2 per adobe.com but it refuses to load to the tablet.
Have not found a calibrate app for the screen.
Dolphin Browser had issues with refusing to listen to the keyboard when trying to type in a location to go to. Maybe it was because I did not allow it to finish loading it's default home page. Waiting until the page is done seems to cure it.

WhiteWhiskers

Mar 11, 2011
So whats different between the our two installs?
I think I installed mine differently from how you did it. Basically followed the directions at the xda developers website. One thing I did differently was to install gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip instead of the referenced gapps-mdpi-tiny-20101020-signed.zip. And who knows, maybe that substitution is the root of all the problems I've had.

Also didn't quite understand or follow what you did for how you installed the mali.ko file. All I did was open a windows command prompt, cd to the directory where your mali.ko was located and type:
adb devices
adb remount
adb shell mv /system/lib/modules/mali.ko /system/lib/modules/mali.ko.original
adb push mali.ko.ridgeland /system/lib/modules/mali.ko
adb shell chmod 644 /system/lib/modules/mali.ko
adb reboot

Another thing I found with CyanogenMod is that mpegs and ts video files that played correctly under Eclair either aren't recognized as video files or if they do play, play incorrectly, aspect ratio is wrong, slow, no sound, seemed like a real mess there.

The one thing about the Eclair ROM is at least everything works. Under CyanogenMod I knew some things wouldn't work like the mic, HDMI out, and no on-screen volume control. But that's ok, those are things I could live without. While I like the polished professional look of CyanogenMod with Froyo, the bugs just got to be too great so now I'm flashed back. I guess if I really want to run Froyo, I'm just going to have to break down and by a Galaxy Tab WiFi or Dell Streak 7 WiFi. And with those they have the capacitive screen :)

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Yes.
This is my first tablet and I'm learning and playing. I'm already thinking about the next tablet but we won't shop until fall or Christmas season.
The only thing I did different with the mali.ko was leave my version there in case I want to bounce back and forth. So 3 mali.ko.* rather than 2. Either way you can still switch back to the original if needed.

Just tried the HDMI - No signal --- booted back to Coby ROM - HDMI worked video and sound (a web page playing a mp3 clip). Booted back to Cyanogen - No HDMI.
There are no icons for volume on the status bar. It has to be set under settings which is not as nice.

I cannot just delete /system/app/ADWLauncher.apk --- tablet won't boot, I tried it.
Anyone know how to delete ADWLaucher so I can see if stock gives me the volume icons?

Stoned99

Dec 8, 2010
If the stock is still there, then install the application called home switcher, you'll be able to switch between launchers

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
What's the ROM have update.zip or update.img? Why not connect the tablet to Droid Explorer and see if you can remove that AWD stuff which is a real pain to use too. You can adb pull the app out or use Droid to uninstall it. Would be nice if Coby had OEM OS 2.2 for but not even LonPad has it either who makes this tablet.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Launcher.apk was in the stock Coby ROM but is not in the Cyanogen ROM.
Seems that's the fix. I'll see if I can find a Launcher.apk from a 2.2 on line, if not I'll try the one from 2.1.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Hummm. I must have seen that ClockWorkMod menu more than a 100 times by now. A couple of times I was real glad it came up.

Googling for how to remove ADWLauncher I saw a lot about LauncherPro with people with strong opinions for one or the other. I tried LauncherPro. My objective was to find something simplier with the hope of seeing volume buttons on the status bar. LauncherPro didn't do it either. ADW has lots of options in the Settings menu - I read CyanogenMod laced it in quite tightly. I'll go back to ADWLauncher mostly just because it was Cyanogen's choice. ADW gives you five screens for icons, Stock and LauncherPro have 3.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Too bad they had did that... Stock would be more ideal and give a user a choice what to install. Stock uses less system resources.

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
Yes.
This is my first tablet and I'm learning and playing. I'm already thinking about the next tablet but we won't shop until fall or Christmas season.
The only thing I did different with the mali.ko was leave my version there in case I want to bounce back and forth. So 3 mali.ko.* rather than 2. Either way you can still switch back to the original if needed.

Just tried the HDMI - No signal --- booted back to Coby ROM - HDMI worked video and sound (a web page playing a mp3 clip). Booted back to Cyanogen - No HDMI.
There are no icons for volume on the status bar. It has to be set under settings which is not as nice.

I cannot just delete /system/app/ADWLauncher.apk --- tablet won't boot, I tried it.
Anyone know how to delete ADWLaucher so I can see if stock gives me the volume icons?
Maybe you already know this but...
First install any other launcher from the market or kang one from another rom.
Go to Settings - applications - manage applications - adw launcher
go about half way down and select "clear defaults"
Back out to the home screen and hit the home button. it should now ask which home launcher you want to use. You can check the always use box if that is the one you will always use. You can change that by clearing the defaults from whichever launcher is set.
If adw was the only one installed, then there will be no choice. Since when you uninstalled adw it would not boot, then my guess would be no other launcher installed.

Bill

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
"no other launcher installed" --- Correct
I noticed when I had both LauncherPro and ADWLauncher hitting the home key got a "Which One?" question.
I copied over a 2.1 Launcher.apk to CyanogenMod's /system/app/ and rebooted. Hitting home key does not ask which - just stays with ADW.
I get "Clear Data" rather than "Clear Defaults" - didn't seem to matter. Still old Launcher is ignored. "Force Stop" is only temporary ADW comes back to life.
I won't bother with it anymore. If anyone has a Launcher.apk from an Android 2.2 and want to post it I'll give it a try.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Can't use use launchers like that. Need to be the right one for the OS.

Do you have images of what your seeing on your COBY?

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
Can't use use launchers like that. Need to be the right one for the OS.

Do you have images of what your seeing on your COBY?
Yep, if you want to kang one from another rom, the version will have to match. 2.2 to 2.2 or whatever. I'll look around an see if I can find a copy of a 2.2 launcher 2 laying around.