So, what should I do? I have a autonootered 1.01

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
I have been out of the loop with school for the past two weeks, and do not know where to start now. I love the rooted nook and do not think I want the OTA update, so wireless has been off for a day.

What should I do now, to either prevent an OTA update or otherwise install something ?

I do not know if I can push commands to it, I did not have to do that with the Autonooter. Can someone post the Dummies for Rooted Nook on what the next plan of action should be for someone in my case?

Catherine

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
You could install clockwork recovery and make a backup. Clockwork should block update and plus you will have a backup. Also when we start getting custom roms you can load them through clockwork recovery instead of going through auto nooter process again. There is a how to stickie in technical section.

Sent from my Droid

pungohboy

Jan 24, 2011
I installed Clockwork recovery just to be safe (hopefully) Im new to the Nook I had it autonootered after I got home from B&N thanks to this site after I manually updated to 1.01 the next day the OTA 1.01 update hit me (not sure why) so I went the Clockwork method and while I was at it last night I got the 1.1ghz kernel and man its nice. I did alot of research and it seemed CWS was a safe way to block OTA. There is a sticky at the top of this section for installing CWR if you havent seen it.

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
There is some debate as to what will bock OTA - its almost certain now that renaming the otacerts file doesn't work and the build.prop and Clockwork methods may not work either. Here is a new method that may work better: [ROOKIE][DEV][HOWTO] Permenant BN-OTA Update Block - xda-developers

I'd suggest blocking for now. I installed the 1.1 r1 Pre-Rootered and things have been flakey - dropping wifi, Zeam freezes and general sluggishnes, even with the OC. MY NOOKcolor performed far better on 1.0.1. YMMV!

Last edited:

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
I'm kind of in the same boat - I more or less have everything just how I want it, and don't want to take chances unless *really* compelled to do so: such as Flash, Bluetooth, greatly improved performance, or better non-mpeg4/h264 video codec support. I did the "build.prop" method of blocking OTA (looks good, but not proven). And I may attempt the more involved OTA blocking method later today..

And in the meantime, if you've yet to try it, do yourself a favor and grab the 1.1ghz omap kernel - it is a very nice enhancement, and seems very stable.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
If you have a backup made through clockwork and for some reason it doesn't block the ota update...you can always roll your device back and reroot...install clockwork and then load your backup. You could also load the pre-rooted 1.1 rom through clockwork if u want.

sent from my rooted nook color

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I'd suggest blocking for now. I installed the 1.1 r1 Pre-Rootered and things have been flakey - dropping wifi, Zeam freezes and general sluggishnes, even with the OC. MY NOOKcolor performed far better on 1.0.1. YMMV!

Try release 2.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
If you have a backup made through clockwork and for some reason it doesn't block the ota update...you can always roll your device back and reroot...install clockwork and then load your backup. You could also load the pre-rooted 1.1 rom through clockwork if u want.

sent from my rooted nook color

IME CWR blocks the update. And good advice, make a full backup now just in case the cwr block fails and you need to restore.

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
I'm in the same boat, I just autonootered and I'm not sure what my next step is. There's so much information, I just need someone to tell me what to do next. I read something about CWR, and then something about ADB, what the heck do I do first? Thanks to anyone that can just point me in the right direction with some simple instructions.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I'm in the same boat, I just autonootered and I'm not sure what my next step is. There's so much information, I just need someone to tell me what to do next. I read something about CWR, and then something about ADB, what the heck do I do first? Thanks to anyone that can just point me in the right direction with some simple instructions.

Make sure you have a replacement launcher like zeam launcher from the android market on your device. Get your device set up with apps you want and what not.

Then check out the thread "how to" clockwork. Get clockwork installed and make a backup. Don't worry about adb for now.

Sent from my Droid

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
I installed clockwork and the script block-it from the xda dev forum, I did not realize clockwork in itself blocked the update!

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
Try release 2.
Thanks Rico! Tried r2 and it seems much better.

And in the meantime, if you've yet to try it, do yourself a favor and grab the 1.1ghz omap kernel - it is a very nice enhancement, and seems very stable.
This does work very well, nice and smooth responsiveness. I was using it for a few days but it really drains the battery. The 950 screamer seems like a good compromise for now. Since its overclocked and undervolted, it gives a little more battery life than stock.