Steps to make your New Nook Color Awesome [rooting, oc'ing and custom roms]

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
1. Turn on your newly bought NOOKColor, after seeing video of pretty girl Kate's video, register with B & N. [I see no good reason to bypass it, so..] Go to Settings > Device Info > About Your NOOKColor, note down the Software Version. You can update your NC whether you want to root it or not.

2. Rooting -
As you know your Software Version now, do accordingly. The basic instructions can be found here - link Read them twice !

a. If you have not updated and are on version 1.0.0 or 1.0.1
Download Auto Nooter for 1.0.0 or Auto Nooter for 1.0.1
You can root it now using the simple instructions and but you have to install pre rooted 1.1.0.

b. If you want to update to 1.1.0 and then root it Auto Nooter, first you have to Completely Wipe, if it is not a out-of-box NOOKColor and then Update your NC to 1.1.0. Instructions and download link is here.

Note : People who have used Auto Nooter 3 reported they have been facing problems with CWR. CWR is a back up utility hence it counts lot about this app. Better to follow method a.

Caution - Rooting is not for the faint of heart, do read instructions twice. Otherwise you might end up your new NC making it unusable.

3. Now you have rooted, install CWR from here - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

4. Then OC'ing from here - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html#post36228

5. After that read these threads to install apps and make it awesome to fullest :)
a. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/3696-working-apps-nook-color.html
b. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ommendations-new-rooted-nook-color-users.html
c. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...uggestions-first-things-do-after-rooting.html

6. And yeah, don't forget free books :p
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/6452-free-fridays-free-book-nook-owners-every-week.html

These things are really easy as they sound. Just you must be intelligent enough to follow the instructions :p

Comments and suggestions are always welcome :)

Enjoy your Super Awesome NOOKColor now :D

Last edited:

Marek

Feb 1, 2011
Also note that a new one may not come with 1.0.1 on it, check your version first. Mine was a 1.0.0 which I just bought a week ago new.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
You may want to update your OP and don't force people to stay on 1.0.1 for the initial update

There is an 'official' auto-nooter for 1.1 now which would actually remove the step about the Pre-rooted ROM.

If this is going to be a stickie, we shouldn't lock people into a single pattern of doing things.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks avi, nice post. Don't let um knock your post, as all posts and thread are "work in progress", you didn't say your suggestions were mandatory and this is why the edit button was created. We'll see where this thread going, how well you update it and perhaps a sticky would be warranted. Again I applaud you for your effort. We need more tutorials, how to's", and instructional threads.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Thanks avi, nice post. Don't let um knock your post, as all posts and thread are "work in progress", you didn't say your suggestions were mandatory and this is why the edit button was created. We'll see where this thread going, how well you update it and perhaps a sticky would be warranted. Again I applaud you for your effort. We need more tutorials, how to's", and instructional threads.

Big difference between knocking someone and offering suggestions there Rico. If my suggestions are not wanted, I will simply quit making them.

rytyshy

Dec 21, 2010
Yes, it isn't difficult. The hardest part is burning an image to a flash card, which just takes the proper program or two. That, and being patient enough to let auto nooter finish and not panic when your screen stays black for several minutes.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Big difference between knocking someone and offering suggestions there Rico. If my suggestions are not wanted, I will simply quit making them.

All suggestions are good. Do not quit making them. You and Rico both offer good advice. We are all friends here :) Its all good.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

Sorry if I offended you by my comments, that was not my intention. My post was more of encouragement to avi than anything else. Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part and for that I apologize.

You can't write 20+ posts per day without putting you foot in your month or misspelling a word from time to time.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am inspired to update my post step (6.c.) knowing people are looking at it. I might add button savior in there just ahead of softkeys.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Be careful about making a How-To something a bit too specific. You might be better off splitting up into a root / customizing / tweaking threads so you don't confuse folks. Cause you know someone will miss the "or" word and try to do both and get messed up.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
My apologies for over reading your post Rico...I had to bury my dog this morning before work, and frankly was in a foul mood...Not exactly how I wanted to start my day.

*Note to self* Stay off forums when in a foul mood :)

Feeling much better now though.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
My apologies for over reading your post Rico...I had to bury my dog this morning before work, and frankly was in a foul mood...Not exactly how I wanted to start my day.

*Note to self* Stay off forums when in a foul mood :)

Feeling much better now though.

Very sorry to hear, I love dogs. No apology to me, I was clearly out of line when you two were just offering suggestions. Sometimes I play too much "mother hen" around here, when we have a nice self sufficient group (family) here in the Nook section and I shouldn't try to oversee and nitpick over every single post.

Here is my home screen to hopeful cheer you up a bit on this sad day.

11-02-03-1.png

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Very sorry to hear, I love dogs. No apology to me, I was clearly out of line when you two were just offering suggestions. Sometimes I play too much "mother hen" around here, when we have a nice self sufficient group (family) here in the Nook section and I shouldn't try to oversee and nitpick over every single post.

Here is my home screen to hopeful cheer you up a bit on this sad day.

11-02-03-1.png

It does...thank you.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
All suggestions and comments are welcome open heartedly :)

and thanks for Rico for supporting :)

PS - editing the OP now.