Super Easy Way to Root and Get Android Market on Your Kyros!

willber

Jan 9, 2011
The tablet is known to wake up by itself, this is one of the reported problems, however the wake up was only every hour or so, not every 15 seconds,,,,!
So your's may be "working" as advertised..!

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
The Google Experience installs the Android Market, Google Maps, Google Voice, GMail, the official You Tube app, something called Google Goggles, and Google Talk. I haven't noticed any hit in performance and don't usually have much in the background. I'm told a task killer app isn't really necessary because of the way Android handles memory management.

Last edited:

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
Ok I got tablet. Using it now to type this. I got as far as downloading ez4.. I have rooted but its not rooted. I get the superuser app. Wheni type su in term. I get the su message but the $ stays the same. I don't get # . I've done re root with no success. Any ideas. Thanks.

Clancy

Jan 11, 2011
Ok I got tablet. Using it now to type this. I got as far as downloading ez4.. I have rooted but its not rooted. I get the superuser app. Wheni type su in term. I get the su message but the $ stays the same. I don't get # . I've done re root with no success. Any ideas. Thanks.

You have to approve it, and you can't see the approve button because the onscreen keyboard obscures the view.

Turn the tablet upright instead of of landscape view... or, hold the "menu" button down until the keyboard disappears, after approving the SU command, hold the menu key down until the keyboard comes back.

Clancy-

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
yes. just make a backup once you get clockwork recovery installed :)

regnaD kciN

Jan 22, 2011
The Google Experience installs the Android Market, Google Maps, Google Voice, GMail, the official You Tube app, something called Google Goggles, and Google Talk.
Is that everything that should be included? Doesn't the "Google experience" also include apps for calendar and contacts, at the very least? They sure don't seem to be getting installed with this process, yet I've heard others saying they are an integral part of Google apps.

waterbrook

Jan 27, 2011
help!!! I tried this and the z4root wouldnt transfer..I followed directions to a T.. I have a colby kyros 7015 and I downloaded the file then dragged it to it and nothing happened..what am I doing wrong?? please help very flustrated to say the least..Thankyou so much for your time

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
help!!! I tried this and the z4root wouldnt transfer..I followed directions to a T.. I have a colby kyros 7015 and I downloaded the file then dragged it to it and nothing happened..what am I doing wrong?? please help very flustrated to say the least..Thankyou so much for your time
Z4Root can be found here:
[APP] z4root - xda-developers

(NOTE: You will have to create an account on the XDA-Developers forum to be able to download this file. XDA-Developers are the people behind a lot of cool Android mods, so having an account on their site is actually a good thing.)

2. Plug the Coby tablet into the USB port on your computer. You should see 3 different messages pop up at the top of the tablet's screen. One is for USB debugging, One is for internal storage, and one is for external storage. We need to use the INTERNAL storage this time.

3. With your finger, pull down the top bar on the tablet's screen. Select the option to turn on INTERNAL storage (the tablet's built-in memory) and click Mount when the box comes up.

4. At this point, a window may automatically open on your PC showing the contents of the tablet's internal memory. If it doesn't pop up automatically, go to My Computer and find it under "Removable Drives." Depending on the configuration of your computer, the drive it appears as will vary.

5. Once you have the window for the tablet's internal memory open on your PC, drag the z4root.1.3.0.apk file onto the tablet. Make sure it is on the ROOT of the drive, not in one of the folders on the drive. Wait for the transfer to complete.

6. Go to the system tray on your Windows PC and click on the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon. It looks like a drive with a green arrow above it. Click on the "Safely Remove" option for the drive corresponding to the tablet's internal storage. You will get a message saying it is now safe to remove the drive from your computer, but don't remove it yet! You still have to turn off storage on the tablet.

(NOTE: We installed the image of z4Root on the tablet's internal storage. We did this because our appInstaller program looks for it internally rather then on the MicroSD card.)

7. On the tablet, pull down the top menu bar and click on "Turn off USB Storage (internal)." When the box comes up, click on "Turn Off." Unplug the tablet from your PC.

8. On the tablet, pull open the application screen. Depending on which way you are holding the tablet, this will be the gray tab that appears on either the right or the bottom of the screen. You grab it and drag it to open it. Run the appInstaller program, which should appear in your applications menu. Once appInstaller opens, you should see z4Root. Click on z4Root to install it.

(NOTE: This procedure is called side-loading an app. You can use this for any .apk file that you find on the Web. Use with caution for unknown apps. I would recommend that you research an app before attempting to side-load it on your Kyros.)

9. Z4Root should now be installed. From your applications menu, launch z4Root. Z4Root will open. Press Permanent Root. Once it is done rooting, it will reboot your Kyros.

10. Congratulations! Your tablet is now rooted and YOU are in complete control (not some corporation) of its software. Now we will move on to the true Android-modding.

This works exactly like it says... Make sure your following the steps. I forgot about the internal and external mounts my first time... but when i re-read it and figured out my error it went through no problems.

After you do this part continue with th rest of the directions on the thread...

Last edited:

waterbrook

Jan 27, 2011
Hello..
I have tried this and it will not work..help!! I downloaded z4root and then dragged it to the colby 7015 file and that is as far as it will go..doesnt show up on apps and it will not open after you dragg it to the colby kyros..what am I doing wrong...someone please this is so flustrating..and Im should it is something simple though if you are not tec savey then oooh my..thankyou for your time and patience..

Last edited:

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
Hello..
I have tried this and it will not work..help!! I downloaded z4root and then dragged it to the colby 7015 file and that is as far as it will go..doesnt show up on apps and it will not open after you dragg it to the colby kyros..what am I doing wrong...someone please this is so flustrating..and Im should it is something simple though if you are not tec savey then oooh my..thankyou for your time and patience..

Ok If you followed it as instructed I don't understand why it didn't work for you. I'm not trying to be rude so please don't take it that. But I went to sleep the first time I tryed Pissed because I swore I followed What it said and I re-read the directions 3 times before I gave up. I woke up About 5am re-read it an saw i was putting in the wrong storage.
If you copy/move the file into the internal memory root of the Tablet. do not put this file into any file on your SDcard. Open your appinstaller program and install z4root. After you have installed it thats when you will see the app and will be able to tap on it and root your tablet.
This explained in steps 6 through 8. Good luck...

dardoncas

Nov 10, 2010
Once this is done, can the clockworkmod be removed in the event we need to return the device?

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
i don't think coby cares what you do to the software. the device is shipped with ro.secure set to 0 (allows root access by default via adb). if you are worried about it, check their warranty/return policy for detailed info.
sh
but, yes, clockworkmod recovery can be removed if you mv /system/etc/install-recovery.bak /system/etc/install-recovery.sh and reboot. (or just flash the recovery.img from the update.zip)