Sylvania SYTABEX7 Owners: Must Read

Mar 23, 2011
The lack of an HDMI port is diagnostic. If it doesn't have one, it's the Express. The internal designation is, from what I've heard here, identical on both versions.

The good news is, that the Express seems nearly identical to the regular version. The only major differences appear to be the HDMI port and possible lack of rotation sensor.

novadar

Mar 26, 2011
Update. I finally got the Sytabex 7 (Express) back from Digital Gadgets. Like others commented, it was the exact same tablet I sent to them only flashed to 2.2.

I promptly returned it to CVS.

Last Sunday I decided I had enough "fun" with this tablet and bought an iPad 2. A world of difference.

Best of luck to all in your rooting/modding/etc efforts.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
Update...............Last Sunday I decided I had enough "fun" with this tablet and bought an iPad 2. A world of difference.

Best of luck to all in your rooting/modding/etc efforts.

LOL.. None of the mods are really necessary, just fun for some to play with.
The tablet works fine without them.

Of course anything like that would be complely impossible wih any Apple product, you have no choice to drink Apple's Kool Aid .... and only 5x the price.

petedude

Mar 9, 2011
So which one do I have??

There is no HDMI port
But under "About Device" Model number is SYNET7LP
But the manual that came with it said SYTABEX7

Everything works USB port and all,
except the system update appears to work, but nothing really changes.
Firmware version is still DG2.01
And the hwver is 11.2.1.5

p.s. I bought it for $99 at CVS a few days ago.
I was advertised as a "Great Mothers Day Gift"
along with a box of candy and a bottle of Tequilla.

I have that one. OK before upgrade, rocks afterward.

novadar

Mar 26, 2011
Nothing "bad" about the replacement. I just got frustrated with the resistive screen and poor battery. I have had an iPhone for a long time and became too used the sensitivity of the screen. I could never get used to using a stylus or tapping away feverishly with my fingernail. I was pondering replacing the battery and it dawned on me, this is simply too much of a waste of my time. The issue for me was never really the price, of course a great deal is always a good thing. But my younger brother kept saying, "You are an IT Professional, you should have professional equipment". He knew I would eventually come around and buy an iPad. So far it is great, I can jump on my corporate VPN and connect to several Remote Desktop enabled Windows servers and have a full "desktop" experience. No mods, hacks, rooting. There are plenty of free iPad apps that allow one to avoid using iTunes and even sync a wide variety of files directly to the device. I could not be happier. It was just not my thing to toil relentlessly with the Sylvania tablet. To each his/her own. I was just really saying "good luck", do your best, etc. Not being a jerk or anything. Sorry if you felt that way.

Brian@

May 12, 2011
I have 2 of these things and they will not update.
One of them makes a crackling sound from the speaker most of the time and both of them have horrible keyboard bugs where the keys will stick and make trying to type pointless.

Are they still sending the upgraded version (SYNET7LP) as replacements? If not then I'll just take them back to the store because it is not worth my time to get the same old crap back.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
One of them makes a crackling sound from the speaker most of the time and both of them have horrible keyboard bugs where the keys will stick and make trying to type pointless.

Are they still sending the upgraded version (SYNET7LP) as replacements? If not then I'll just take them back to the store because it is not worth my time to get the same old crap back.

The automatic upgrade doesn't work You can upgrade them to Android 2.2 and it makes a very nice machine.
But the automatic upgrade still doesn't work. This thread tells you how.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...e-synet7lp-sytabex7-android-2-2-froyo-11.html

novadar

Mar 26, 2011

They sent me back the exact same SYTABEX7 tablet I sent them.

lorenii

May 2, 2011
Same here. With a note that they could not duplicate the problems. I call Bull Schnikes. They are both updated now and (sorta) working right. I do have an issue with the wireless dropping and not reconnecting on wake.

Anyhow, I got both of mine for $99 each from CVS (one for me and one for my pencil and paper generation mother) and picked up the Sylvania accessory kit from Toys-We-Be. I am going to keep them and use them.

lorenii

May 2, 2011
Oh... another issue I went thru is when I did get it back, it showed that an update was available and when I did the update, it was the same version I was running, I just basically factory reset my unit and I had to reload EVERYTHING and reset clocks/passwords/etc...

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
I just tried checking a few CVS Pharmacies in Tampa, and it seems they are no longer stocking the tablet. The three or four CVS stores I went to had the Sylvania netbook.

cschad37

Oct 13, 2010
I tried the update I think it worked but how would I know for sure? Thanks Chuck

Last edited:

Cat88Extreme

Mar 15, 2011
The CVS stores in my area (northern Ohio) were not carrying it anymore until a week ago when it was in their weekly sale paper (still at the regular price of $100).

TechVendetta

Developer
Aug 17, 2011
Oh the tablets are being sent out again? That's great news. I work at cvs and to my knowledge we were just selling our stock out. But if its a new weekly ad that means more are coming in still.